• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Superzooms (1 Viewer)

Some pics taken on March 21st with Canon PowerShot S3 IS + Raynox DCR 1540PRO handheld. The light was rather poor (around 8:30 a.m. cloudy). ISO 100, F4.0. For the Song Thrush the shutter speed was 1/160. IMO these pics are a good example for IQ of a superzoom in poor light.

Attachments

• IMG_1770m.jpg
    IMG_1770m.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1794m.jpg
    IMG_1794m.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1801m.jpg
    IMG_1801m.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 162
Thanks for these Cristian - you've certainly managed to get some cracking shots.

And your flight pictures would really please me too Matt.

I notice you're all too polite to comment on my crappy Skylark:-O -please tell me I can improve on that with one of these cameras!

D

Thanks for these Cristian - you've certainly managed to get some cracking shots.

And your flight pictures would really please me too Matt.

I notice you're all too polite to comment on my crappy Skylark:-O -please tell me I can improve on that with one of these cameras!

D

Sure you can improve. Your Skylark is out of focus, maybe because it was at a very long distance. It is really hard to take acceptable quality pics with flying birds when there is such a distance between you and the bird (even with a DSLR). For example, this gull was at no more than 10 meters from me and I took the shot with a DSLR and long lens (in good light). IMO the IQ it isn't a very good one.

Attachments

• P3224955m.jpg
    P3224955m.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 170
I'm re-visiting my thread, as now getting ready to buy a superzoom.

I've just phoned my favourite local shop and the only ones they have are:

Fuji 200dxr 15x OP
Olympus SD590uz 26x
(Fuji 15x 2000 HD - arriving tomorrow)

does anyone know anything about these?

Although they sell Panasonic cameras, they don't have the FZ28 nor any Canons - if you feel these are the better ones for me (light(ish)weight, will fit in my pocket, reasonable reach and good on auto settings) I'll shop around for another source.

I'm not a photographer... just want to get nice enough photos to put in my Gallery of birds I can't digiscope or good enough for ID purposes. I'm not looking to enter competitions LOL.

D

I think you might guess what I'd recommend, Delia |=)|

But the FZ28 isn't really compact enough to fit in a pocket, a handbag perhaps. The problem is you won't get anything over 12x zoom that's really compact.

The Panasonic TZ7 Might be small and light enough, but would 12x zoom be enough?

The Fujifilm FinePix S2000HD gets quite good reviews, but it's not really compact.

The same applies to the Olypmus, that's quite a big camera because of the zoom.

The Fuji F200 EXR only has a 5x zoom.

Last edited:
I'm sure the superzooms will never take the place of a full-featured DSLR. I spent the day recently with a fellow who used a Canon SX10 IS. He got some terrific shots, and generally raved about it. He did point out that it was not great in low light, and that it took a bit more time between exposures than his DSLR. But for many of us, it is probably the right choice. It has a tremendous range without carrying a heavy, EXPENSIVE camera and lens. Canon recently added a new model, the SX20 IS, which adds the ability to take HD movies. I would LOVE to get one for the holidays.

Veagle

I think you might guess what I'd recommend, Delia |=)|

But the FZ28 isn't really compact enough to fit in a pocket, a handbag perhaps. The problem is you won't get anything over 12x zoom that's really compact.

The Panasonic TZ7 Might be small and light enough, but would 12x zoom be enough?

The Fujifilm FinePix S2000HD gets quite good reviews, but it's not really compact.

The same applies to the Olypmus, that's quite a big camera because of the zoom.

The Fuji F200 EXR only has a 5x zoom.

Thanks so much for all that Chris. ummm perhaps being a bit hopeful with the pocket then LOL. It wouldn't be the FZ28 you'd recommend would it by any chance;) You've really taken some cracking pictures with it.

I've got an offer of a second hand Olympus SP-55OUZ, so unless anyone thinks this really wouldn't suit me I might go for that.

I'm sure the superzooms will never take the place of a full-featured DSLR. I spent the day recently with a fellow who used a Canon SX10 IS. He got some terrific shots, and generally raved about it. He did point out that it was not great in low light, and that it took a bit more time between exposures than his DSLR. But for many of us, it is probably the right choice. It has a tremendous range without carrying a heavy, EXPENSIVE camera and lens. Canon recently added a new model, the SX20 IS, which adds the ability to take HD movies. I would LOVE to get one for the holidays.

Veagle

Thanks Veagle... a DSLR is really not an option for me. I know they're by far the better cameras but I wouldn't make the best use of all the features and don't want to be carrying big lenses.

I'll have a look at the Canon SX10 though and see what that's all about.

D

Yes Delia, you guessed right about which camera I'd recommend.|=)|

Here's a review of the 550uz, maybe this will help you decide. From reading the review, I would say it would be fine in good light. It may struggle to focus a bit in low light, but many non-DSLRs do. It seems noise isn't a problem at lower ISOs, which is another reason it should be fine in good light.

Perhaps someone here has experience of the camera, and will post their opinion of it.

If the Olympus comes from a person you know, ask to get outside in the light with the camera in hand. Then look at if you can (a) see what is on the LCD while out there well enough to actually find the bird, or (b) see clearly enough through the electronic viewfinder to find the bird that way. I much prefer the viewfinder when using my FZ18, and I think most of the fz28 users do the same; I also think that I read the canon ones have a viewfinder that works.

Cheers
Niels

If the Olympus comes from a person you know, ask to get outside in the light with the camera in hand. Then look at if you can (a) see what is on the LCD while out there well enough to actually find the bird, or (b) see clearly enough through the electronic viewfinder to find the bird that way. I much prefer the viewfinder when using my FZ18, and I think most of the fz28 users do the same; I also think that I read the canon ones have a viewfinder that works.

Cheers
Niels

I was thinking that myself, Niels, but got distracted by finding the review.|=)|

BTW, I also prefer to use EVF on my FZ28. I find it much easier to hold the camera steady that way; I've never felt comfortable using the LCD.

Thanks both, and for the review link Chris - it sounds reasonable to me.

Unfortunately, Niels the pre-trial isn't an option.

I much prefer to use the view-finder on my Nikon (unless I'm digiscoping, of course).

I also think that I read the canon ones have a viewfinder that works.

LOL Niels, that's a relief:-O

D

Thanks Veagle... a DSLR is really not an option for me. I know they're by far the better cameras but I wouldn't make the best use of all the features and don't want to be carrying big lenses.

I'll have a look at the Canon SX10 though and see what that's all about.

D

Take a look at the SX20, I don't think it's any more money, has most of the same features and then some. Just a suggestion.

Veagle

I use the fz18. It is an amazing tool, and I bring it all the time when I am out birding. However, the image quality is far from what I would wish for, especially when the light is restricted. Is there any new product out there that will increase the quality of the image significantly? Like fz-38, or some new Canon IS superzoom? I am willing to pay for a better superzoom since I cant stand with the bulk of a dslr.

I also have the FZ18. You probably have already seen the threads on FZ28 and 38 saying that you get better iq especially at lower light corresponding to one doubling of iso compared to the fz18, at the price of a somewhat less ideal viewfinder. I have no personal experience with the canon models which also get some good press.

Niels

hi Delia,

I have an Olympus SP 560UZ camera. Making a comparison with the other one superzoom used by me (a Canon PowerShot S3 IS) I would say:
1. S3 has a better autofocus - with Olympus I've lost more pics. Aslo the IQ seems to be better with Canon.
2. The chromatic aberration at the tele end is annoying with Olympus.
3. I like more Olympus in macro/supermacro mode.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back