• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comparing Two Binoculars: Vanguard 10x25 vs. Nikon 8x42 (1 Viewer)

CalvinFold

Obviously a novice with binoculars, so please bear with me:

I have the opportunity to recieve a new set of 8x42 Nikon Prostaff Binoculars. I have no idea if they are the current or previous design based on the description.

Now I don't want a free pair of binoculars if they provide no real useful advantage over the Vanugard Orros 10x25 compact binoculars I currently use.

So I got the Vanguards as a decent, not too expensive, and portable set of binoculars for just being handy while out taking animal photos. Basically to help me spot animals out past 100m where the EVF in my camera (1350mm equivalent focal length) fails me on whether I am actually seeing anything interesting. The Vanguards and my camera seem to share a basic distance of viewing and resolving...if I can see it decently in the binoculars, there is a chance I can get a decent photo of it on my camera.

So are the Prostaff really going to give me a any sort of advantage in spotting distant animals to photograph? Bear in mind, not a bird "watcher" in the sense where I spend alot of time watching birds for prolonged periods of time, so the likely heft of these makes me wonder.

Beyond that, are these good binoculars, any sort of step-up from consumer-grade ones?

Thanks for you help in advance,

Yes, they are. If I remember correctly the Orros are one of Vanguards budget offerings. The Prostaff is a noticeable step up in quality plus the larger objective and subsequently larger exit pupil should make it much more enjoyable to use. Without looking at the specs you will probably also get a wider field of view and better depth of field because of the switch to 8x.

Well, since they were free (15th year at my company) the Nikon Prostaff binoculars were the best choice from the gift choices I got. The reviews were good (if not excellent for that price range). I'm sure we'll find a use for them. :)

Hi Kevin,

the Prostaff in 8x42 are certainly a big step up from the little 10x25 Vanguards (some would say from any 10x25 as even the best ones suffer from narrow field of view, narrow exit pupil resulting in bad low light performance and difficult eye placement plus the fact that very lightweight 10x bins are quite hard to hold steady).

If you know that you might want a pair of bins, take the 8x42 - if not, have the 10x25 in a pocket.

Joachim

Received my Prostaff binoculars, and wow.

Okay, yeah, I don't use binoculars enough to have ever paid $200-ish for a pair, so of course these are nicer than anything I've ever had. But they are a huge amount better; web-vs-HD kind of difference. :)

I was also impressed how lightweight they are. Very easy to add them in their case to my belt.

Hi,

nice to hear you got a good pair of bins from work - they didn't remember my 15th year where I work - so let's see if they can remember the 20th. I hope you get to enjoy a lot of nice views with them.

And keep clear from optics stores or you might contract binocularia expensiva, an uncurable condition which gets very expensive over time - a lot of the regulars here suffer from it ;-)

Joachim

And keep clear from optics stores or you might contract binocularia expensiva, an uncurable condition which gets very expensive over time - a lot of the regulars here suffer from it ;-)

I already suffer from budgetus extrema, a condition whereby expensive toys are out of reach and have to pass extreme amounts of examination before purchase. My funds don't allow for superfluous toys anymore. Took me nearly a year to get a bridge camera, even though I really wanted a MFT or DSLR. :eek!:

I photograph more than sit-n-stare, so fotografus expensiva is more of a risk. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back