• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kestrel flap-flap-glide, UK? (1 Viewer)

birderUK007

So out walking today (UK), spotted what I believed was a kestrel perched on top of a small bush/tree adjacent to a field. Something wasn't quite right about it though, size and shape spot on but colouring looked different, seemed darker. Anyways, it took flight, went low straight away and proceeded to go flap-flap-glide exactly like a Sparrowhawk. Low to the ground it headed straight for the corner of the field where some trees were present.

I often see a Kestrel on this walk, never a Sparrowhawk, and perching out in the open on top of that bush in farmland seems pretty Kestrel-ish to me. The flight and initial queries about the colouration have thrown me.

So my question is, do Kestrel's go flap-flap-glide or is this indicative of Sparrowhawks?

Ps. Happy New Year all. :t:

Of course could still be a Sparrowhawk passing through (they are common after all). Melanistic Kestrels do occur, but probably pretty rare and probably safe to ignore ...

Of course could still be a Sparrowhawk passing through (they are common after all). Melanistic Kestrels do occur, but probably pretty rare and probably safe to ignore ...

Thanks for your feedback. Have you ever seen a Kestrel flap-flap-glide or is that Sparrowhawk behaviour only?

It sounds like a Sparrowhawk to me also. It likely swooped and missed a bird at the top of the bush - sitting there out in the open looking around after missing isn't unusual at all (I see a lot of Sparrowhawks at close range)... then flying low to either another prey item or into cover is also common... IME.

It sounds like a Sparrowhawk to me also. It likely swooped and missed a bird at the top of the bush - sitting there out in the open looking around after missing isn't unusual at all (I see a lot of Sparrowhawks at close range)... then flying low to either another prey item or into cover is also common... IME.

Great, thanks for your feedback, I don't see SP in the open all that often so was expecting Kestrel and was thrown by the flight style but by the sounds of it its behaviour does point to SP.

Out of curiosity have you ever seen a kestrel fly like this, i.e. flap-flap-glide low to the ground or is that purely SP behaviour?

Out of curiosity have you ever seen a kestrel fly like this, i.e. flap-flap-glide low to the ground or is that purely SP behaviour?

I can't say that I've noticed. I used to watch them where they nested/hunted, and I don't recall ever thinking that their flight reminded me of a Sparrowhawk.

When they hunt, I've only seen them hovering (searching for potential prey before swooping down), and perched in trees or in the open on Pylons. The ones in the open on Pylons are perhaps 40m high, but I've seen them swoop straight down for Worms... amazing eyesight they have. I also had a male visit my garden for a day or so - he was perched on a fence, but swooped down and took a Sparrow from the ground.

I can't say that I've noticed. I used to watch them where they nested/hunted, and I don't recall ever thinking that their flight reminded me of a Sparrowhawk.

When they hunt, I've only seen them hovering (searching for potential prey before swooping down), and perched in trees or in the open on Pylons. The ones in the open on Pylons are perhaps 40m high, but I've seen them swoop straight down for Worms... amazing eyesight they have. I also had a male visit my garden for a day or so - he was perched on a fence, but swooped down and took a Sparrow from the ground.

Apologies for slow reply but thank you for your response. I've learnt a great deal! :t:

I've never seen Kestrel do a flap-flap-glide but I would hesitate to say that they never ever do this. But as for Sparrowhawks hunting open country instead of woods, yes we have seen that in Scotland on the islands. We have seen them hunt among big rocks and rocky outcrops and among farm buildings, in otherwise open country, just as if they were amongst trees.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back