• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon DF-M1 Dot Sight for COOLPIX P1000 (1 Viewer)

Nikon designed the DF-M1 with the 125X zoom on the Coolpix P1000 in mind, but it also works with any Nikon camera with a hot shoe mount

Olympus (EE-1) came out with a designated hot shoe mounted camera dot sight a few years ago. Theirs sells for a fair bit less than what Nikon is asking for theirs, and the main difference is the branding. There are also a few hot shoe adaptations for gun dot sights folks used before camera manufacturers got theirs rolled out.

Since there is nothing camera/brand specific looking for reviews on either one will provide info on benefits of using dot sights on cameras.

I use the Olympus EE-1 sight and I find it to be a critical part of my kit I would never want to be without. It is kind of expensive but I find it so helpful that even when I'm using a flash, I devised an alternate mounting position for the EE-1 on the gimbal arm. The EE-1 is made of plastic but it is well-designed and has held up well. Also the battery seems to last a long time (it helps that the unit turns off automatically when you close it).

Dave

Last edited:
Hi,

Olympus (EE-1) came out with a designated hot shoe mounted camera dot sight a few years ago. Theirs sells for a fair bit less than what Nikon is asking for theirs, and the main difference is the branding.

Without having used either, my experience with reflex sights in general leads me to believe Nikon has in fact made some useful improvements over the EE-1's features:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3759997#post3759997

Regards,

Henning

Thanks Henning.

The EE-1 does have "wheels" to adjust the sight; they are just smaller than the ones on the Nikon, but I find they work fine. More important than the size of the wheels is how finely you can adjust the position of the dot and especially how much up/down left/right adjustment is allowed; often I need quite a lot of adjustment. Anyway so far I've always found the EE-1 works well for me in all respects. The main difference might be the Nikon's ability to change the color and style/pattern of the dot, but I've never wished for that flexibility with the EE-1. I thought the EE-1 was overpriced, but again, I consider these things SO helpful that if my EE-1 ever fails, I wouldn't think twice about buying another one or even considering the more expensive Nikon model.

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

The main difference might be the Nikon's ability to change the color and style/pattern of the dot, but I've never wished for that flexibility with the EE-1.

Thanks a lot for providing accurate information on the EE-1! Seems I had gotten a wrong impression from the videos I saw.

How does the brightness of the EE-1 stand up to bright daylight?

I noticed with my airgun sight that the red reticle would get imperceptibly faint in on a sunny day, while the green reticle would still be visible. (That's the main reason I like the ability to switch colours.)

Regards,

Henning

Hi Dave,

How does the brightness of the EE-1 stand up to bright daylight?

Henning

In the very brightest daylight, it is still very easy to see if you turn it all the way up. I think there are 5 brightness settings. In the early morning I start out with it turned down to ~3 or even 2 and it's often totally fine for quite a while at that level.

Dave

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back