Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

TSN-883 focal length

Old Wednesday 27th December 2017, 13:53   #1
ve2vk

TSN-883 focal length

This is the first time I'm posting a question regarding the Kowa TSN-883
scope. I would like to know the focal length of my scope. I purchased the Kowa 1 1/4 astro adaptor which will be used with Pentax XW-10-14 and 20 astro eyepieces.

Any help appreciated,
Bruno.
Old Wednesday 27th December 2017, 14:20   #2
giosblue

I think It's 500mm? You should get some excellent views with the Pentax EP's Do you have the Kowa
zoom?

Last edited by giosblue : Wednesday 27th December 2017 at 14:25.
Old Wednesday 27th December 2017, 16:17   #3
JerryLogan

Yes, 500mm F5.6, so 35x for the 14 and 25x for the 20.

Best,
Jerry
Old Wednesday 27th December 2017, 22:21   #4
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve2vk View Post
This is the first time I'm posting a question regarding the Kowa TSN-883
scope. I would like to know the focal length of my scope. I purchased the Kowa 1 1/4 astro adaptor which will be used with Pentax XW-10-14 and 20 astro eyepieces.

Any help appreciated,
Bruno.
Bruno , Let us know how well your Pentax XW eyepieces perform on your Kowa 883 with your Kowa Astro adapter.
Old Thursday 28th December 2017, 01:42   #5
ve2vk

TSN-883 with Pentax eyepieces.

I purchased the scope with the TSN-11Z zoom eyepiece. The view is amazing.Later on I acquired the 1.6X extender which is nice, however the loss in light is noticeable. I decided to order the astropiece adaptor since my previous scope was a Pentax PF65ED AII. The view is outstanding with these eyepieces on the TSN-883. The only problem is that I'm unable to focus at infinity..

This afternoon I screwed the 1.6X extender with the astropiece adaptor and the XW20 Pentax eyepiece. The view was excellent. The loss in light was not as noticeable compared to the TSN-11Z zoom. So with 1.6X that would be 40X. I stopped short of experimenting with the other eyepieces. We're going through a coldspell which should last for the next few days. The temperatures are dipping to -25c. I will wait for favourable weather and come up witha more extensive report..

Thanks from Bruno.
Old Thursday 28th December 2017, 11:54   #6
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve2vk View Post
I purchased the scope with the TSN-11Z zoom eyepiece. The view is amazing.Later on I acquired the 1.6X extender which is nice, however the loss in light is noticeable. I decided to order the astropiece adaptor since my previous scope was a Pentax PF65ED AII. The view is outstanding with these eyepieces on the TSN-883. The only problem is that I'm unable to focus at infinity..

This afternoon I screwed the 1.6X extender with the astropiece adaptor and the XW20 Pentax eyepiece. The view was excellent. The loss in light was not as noticeable compared to the TSN-11Z zoom. So with 1.6X that would be 40X. I stopped short of experimenting with the other eyepieces. We're going through a coldspell which should last for the next few days. The temperatures are dipping to -25c. I will wait for favourable weather and come up witha more extensive report..

Thanks from Bruno.
I am a little confused. The Pentax XW eyepieces will not come to focus when used with the 1.6x extender & with the astro eyepiece adapter ?
How about the Pentax XW eyepieces with astro adapter without the 1.6x extender ?
Old Thursday 28th December 2017, 19:52   #7
JerryLogan

Which astro adapter are you using? The grub screw version is a little shorter than the full set screw verson. This allows the end of the eyepiece to sink further into the scope body. Getting the Pentax eyepieces deep enough to reach infinity focus has always been a challenge. Even resting the eyepiece bottom against the waterproofing window hasn’t been deep enough to reach infinity with the Pentax 10mm. But, I haven’t tried it with the focal extender.

Best,
Jerry
Old Friday 29th December 2017, 01:14   #8
ve2vk

I'm using the the thumbscrew astro adaptor. The Pentax XW eyepieces don't come into focus at infinity. I inserted the focal extender the XW-14 and XW-20 come into focus at infinity. I haven't tried the XW-10 yet for lack of time
and when the temperature is more clement.

Bruno.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: