• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female Sparrowhawk? (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

Nothing too exciting, but I'd like to confirm this bird is what I think it is. I've seen a male Sparrowhawk in the garden and so have assumed this is a female, any thoughts?

Made a dive past the feeders which were amass with tits and finches, missed and sat for a while on the fence just outside of my window :)

Seen in Northamptonshire UK earlier this week.

Many thanks!

Mark.

Attachments

• DSC_1271.jpg
    DSC_1271.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 107
Male Sprawks often sit by the feeders after a failed attempt...never seen a female do the same though.

Cheers

So you believe it is a female?

If so, she had a gang of long tailed tits taunting her from 3 feet away whilst she sat and sulked ;)

Thanks for the input,

Mark.

Agree with Chris on all counts. 1cy is short for first calendar year, which means it hatched this year. From 01/01/2019, it will be a 2cy.

RB

Seems an odd way to do it doesn't it, if the plumage remains the same in to January, it's a 2cy but looks exactly the same as a 1cy?

Sorry, Mark, I was rushing - I forgot to praise your pic ;)

BTW, you may be fortunate enough to have regular visits from both the juvenile and the adult you mentioned, territories do overlap. Please remember that only about 1 in 3 male Sparrowhawks survive their first Winter, so try not to disturb it, as it could easily starve. I was fortunate to have the same male visiting my garden since it was a juvenile, it stayed for 7 years.

Oh, and IME, a male Sparrowhawk's favourite food isn't Sparrows... it's Mice ;)

Andy, and anyone else interested in the ID of these birds:

this might help with ageing and sexing... I've pasted the link to this a few times over the years. It's meant for Ringers, but is worth studying.

Thanks for the link - very handy!!!!

The photo was actually taken through my garden office window - my aim is to catalogue (with a photo) all of the birds that visit the garden - from within the warmth and comfort of there so no chance/need to disturb.

The mature male that visits is very handsome - quite different to the juvenile.

There are plenty of mice and the like in the garden too, and surrounded by farmland so lot's of scope for fauna!

Sorry, Mark, I was rushing - I forgot to praise your pic ;)

BTW, you may be fortunate enough to have regular visits from both the juvenile and the adult you mentioned, territories do overlap. Please remember that only about 1 in 3 male Sparrowhawks survive their first Winter, so try not to disturb it, as it could easily starve. I was fortunate to have the same male visiting my garden since it was a juvenile, it stayed for 7 years.

Oh, and IME, a male Sparrowhawk's favourite food isn't Sparrows... it's Mice ;)

Andy, and anyone else interested in the ID of these birds:

this might help with ageing and sexing... I've pasted the link to this a few times over the years. It's meant for Ringers, but is worth studying.

Hi, thanks for the link.
In a way this answers my question to you in the other recent thread regarding A.nisus, but still the limitations of these photos are obvious, particularly when it comes to sizes of nape patches, which in my experience is such an individually variable feature, both regarding sex and age.
Furthermore, the way the feathers are held by the live bird, as explained in the other thread, is so crucial as to how "large" we perceive this patch.
The more the feathers are lifted, the greater the patch, and the more sleek the bird is, the smaller the patch appears.
In other words, this - and perhaps other aspects of this 'ringers guide" - will not 'hold up in court', again IMHO.
;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back