• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Is This Bird??? Found An Unusual Wing In Our Horse Field (1 Viewer)

norders2

Hi guys,

My girlfriend found this wing in her horse's field this morning. I assume a fox has eaten it as they tend to leave the wings, but we have no idea what bird it has come from.

Can anybody identify it?? We live outside of Oxford.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 48228878_2355068254512106_970333897868967936_n.jpg
    48228878_2355068254512106_970333897868967936_n.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 194
Muscovy Duck

Andy
edit: thought I was looking at the upperside of the wing. Agree with Lapwing

Last edited:
Googling images for Egyptian Goose - most images show a thin black bar close in at the base of the white coverts - not present here. Still good?

Muscovy Duck for me, most likely a farm bird as Andy says.

Compare:
1. Egyptian Goose (thin black line across GC - GC all white in the OP bird; rufous tertials - metalic green and long in the OP bird)
2. Ruddy Shelduck (cinnamon + white tertials); another one here
3. Muscovy Duck

Looks spot-on for Ruddy Shelduck. I think it's the humerals that are white, not the tertials, and they (humerals) are missing here, and I think the tertials are as well.

Brett

Looks spot-on for Ruddy Shelduck. I think it's the humerals that are white, not the tertials, and they (humerals) are missing here, and I think the tertials are as well.

Brett

Note the long metallic-green feathers the right hand of the observer is holding on the OP photo. Those feathers are a good deal longer than the secondaries (the tip isn't even included in the frame). Admittedly, that is not a Ruddy Shelduck feature, whilst IMO it is typical of Muscovies.

Note the long metallic-green feathers the right hand of the observer is holding on the OP photo. Those feathers are a good deal longer than the secondaries (the tip isn't even included in the frame). Admittedly, that is not a Ruddy Shelduck feature, whilst IMO it is typical of Muscovies.

Yes, you are right.

Brett

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back