• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A dwarf Black-headed Gull ? (Apulia, Italy) (1 Viewer)

ruggiel

Luciano Ruggieri
I dont't know if dwarf desease can exist in birds but how can you explain this (apparently) pygmy juvenile Black-headed Gull ?
The individual is in direct comparison with other Black-headed Gulls so there is no trick behind.

We feel confident to rule out Bonaparte's Gull and Little Gull but not some kinds of hybrid forms between BHG and LG (if they exist in nature).

Do you have any other explanation?

Thanks for help
Luciano

Other pictures here:
http://www.ebnitalia.it/gallery/gabbiano_comna.htm

Attachments

• gabbiano_comn.jpg
    gabbiano_comn.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 118
  • gabbiano_comna0.jpg
    gabbiano_comna0.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I don't know how common it is.

I once seen dwarf Vervet Scoter which took me much effort to identify!

Coincidentally, I also saw a very small BHG at Chard Reservoir the other day. Nothin on it to suggest anything other than BHG, except that it was nearly two inches shorter in height than the bird next to it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back