• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (2 Viewers)

Great report Josh :t:
I was In Puerto Pollenca during part of that period and although not the best time for birding on the Island,like yourself,I managed to see some great birds.Mallorca really Is a fantastic place.

As for the storm on the 21st,that really was something.Even for a northern Scot. ;)

Hello, im a new member

Hello, I have recently returned to birding in the UK after too many years of work. I am particularly keen on Mallorca and return there for 2 weeks holiday in 2 weeks time. This will be my 3rd visit this year. I am even thinking about buying a property in Pollenca, either Port or Pueblo , so that I can spend more time there. I will be staying in Pollenca Old Town and plan on going to Albufereta, Albufera, Formentor and Boquer Valley all of which I have been to before. I am also looking at the Betlem peninsula. Does anyone have any other suggestions??

Hi Geordie Dave.
I think you’ve got it covered!
Those are the most important sites, I would only add Son Real and if you want to see raptor migration, a trip to the most southerly point at Cap de Ses Salines could come up trumps on the right day.
Good luck, let us know when you arrive and what you see. This thread will be kept up to date. Mike

We have guests at the moment, one of the joys (!) of living abroad. They insisted on going to the beach so I laid on my sunbed sulking. A male Golden oriole flew in, stayed for fifteen seconds as they often do, and flew off. It cheered me up for a while.
A Montagu’s Harrier was seen today on the central plain by Juanjo and Pep found a Melodious Warbler at Maristany.
Lots of Common migrants around at the moment. Mike

Mike thank you. We arrive on 19th September for 2 weeks. I have also been reading about the Ternelles Valley, are there still access restrictions or can I walk in from Pollenca? David

Entry is still restricted but a good way to see it is through http://www.mallorcanaturaltours.com/our-tours/ternelles-valley/
Martin

I visited Ternelles In July with Pere from Mallorca Natural Tours and had an excellent morning with him.Regular and great views of Black Vultures and we also had Egyptian Vulture also.Plenty other species of birds to be seen on what Is a beautiful walk and so unlike other parts of the Island I have visited.

Mike thank you. We arrive on 19th September for 2 weeks. I have also been reading about the Ternelles Valley, are there still access restrictions or can I walk in from Pollenca? David

I’ve got permits to visit Ternelles during my late September visit - I got them by email from the Pollenca town website (a bit of a puzzle because it’s in Mallorquin, but I got there eventually). The permits came within a few days as an email attachment.

I’ve read elsewhere that you need to take ID with you because the security gate entry requires ID that matches you to the permit - passports recommended.

I went there for the first time with Pere, recommended because (a) he sorts everything and (b) as well as being an excellent wildlife guide and all round nice guy, he knows a lot about the history and culture associated with the valley.

Following my visit with Pere I’m fairly confident about going on my own. To get the most out of it you need to allow plenty of time - I’d say four hours minimum.

Stew

The Central Plain at Villafranca was a bit lively today thanks to Juanjo who had found a Hen Harrier plus a puzzling Harrier which is yet to be identified.
For me, it is not a Hen Harrier, it is slimmer with a different “feel” about it. I reckon it’s a Montagu’s Harrier but time will tell.
Whilst I was there, in the middle of the plain with nothing much in sight, I got a text from Patrick saying he was watching me, watching the Harrier!
He has got some excellent photographs which will no doubt settle the question marks hanging over this bird.
Mike

Back for a weeks birdin' etc around Puerto pollensa,
A Ringtail Harrier seen near Sa pobla along with several Red Kites on the drive up.
2 Wheatear and a fly through Turtle dove only birds of note at Llenaire, usual Eleonora's and Booteds over the town.

Phil G reports two Bluethroat at the depuradora, Albufera a couple of days ago.
A flock of Bee-eaters was in my home town when I got back tonight. They are now moving through the Island on their way south and they will continue to show for a while yet. Sometimes the flocks can be quite impressive with 85 swirling over my head last year. I won’t forget that for a while. Mike

Thanks and question

Hi, Thanks so much for this thread, I’ve used it prior to the family holiday (here this week) and also whilst I’ve been here.

I’m in Port de Polença - any chance of a scops owl? If so, where is recommended?

All the best, Paul

Juvy/imm Night Heron feeding on beach shore line at 23.15 in Puerto pollensa. c20m from road/pavement.

Attachments

• _20180907_001612.jpg
    _20180907_001612.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 60
Can cuarassa: 07.30-9.00
2 Tree pipit through, Ad+imm Night herons in flight, 35+ Cattle Egret and 6 Spotless Starling. Singles of Black headed gull, Kentish plover and Common sand on shoreline

Hello!
One White-headed Duck has been seen rigth now at Bassa de Can Guidet, in Palma, by Toni Soler and Juanjo Bazán.
This is a great new!
Cristina.

Hello!
One White-headed Duck has been seen rigth now at Bassa de Can Guidet, in Palma, by Toni Soler and Juanjo Bazán.
This is a great new!
Cristina.

Anyway, here in la Gola we are happy with our Squacco Heron and Zitting Cisticoles :)

Just back from the Cap. Three flocks of Bee-eaters left for Africa, the first flock of 34 went early followed by 12 more then 21. Lovely seeing them leave the Island, one of birding’s special moments for me.
Three Black Kite also went, 5 Wheatears were in the fields, a Tawny Pipit showed up, lots of Turtle dove lined the road and two Grey Heron flew through, also headed south.
Mike

Hi PAUL. There was a reliable site for Scops owl in Pollonça but sadly the vent where it used to hang out was blocked up. I have not heard of any other regular sightings but if anyone can help, could they please post here? Many thanks, Mike

The White-headed Duck is a juvenile apparently, a great record.
The last one I saw here was eleven years ago following an unsuccessful reintroduction scheme.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back