• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NEW nikon monarch 7 (1 Viewer)

The price of the alphas has come down here recently, but generally international prices appear to be fairly comparable. At times a little higher or lower depending on the short term exchange rates. It looks like periodically the national price lists are adjusted for the prevailing rate (against the dollar) at the time. It's the lower price ranges where we seem to pay a significant premium. Nikon isn't the worst culprit but it doesn't make it more palatable.

David

If fixed costs like rent and salaries are higher in the UK than the US, lower-priced binoculars like the Monarchs would be more affected than top-of-the-range stuff.

But I'd also expect the EDG models to be more expensive in the UK and France than the US. In France, the best price I can find for the 8x32 EDG is about 1360 € (typical is around 1600 €). Subtracting VAT (19.6% in France) leaves a price much lower than the prices I found in the US (but I didn't search very hard).

If the EDG hadn't been designed by a committee of kids weaned on Transformers I might have been tempted at 1360 euros. (The name EDG is also off-putting. I guess I'm just not edgy enough!)

Wildly different prices for different markets do serve as an indicator of how much (or little) money has been spent on the actual product.

It's exciting. At this price range, Monarch 7 should completely eliminate the chromatic aberration that can be easily picked up with their Monarch III.

Mike,

I guessed between $400-$500 earlier, what do I win? :)

I look forward to reading/seeing your reviews. Don't forget to include edge performance in your review. I'm not expecting EDG to EDG sharpness, but I am hoping for a wide sweet spot with a gradual fall off at the edges like my old "WF" porros rather than a small sweet spot and the steep fall off like I've seen in some modern "under $500" roofs.

The other characteristic I'd like to hear about is the distortion level. WF bins sometimes have a lot of pincushion. OTOH, the Premiers have so little pincushion, that for me, the image keeps on rollin' rollin' rollin'.

These perceptions are user dependent, but distortion levels can be measured fairly easily by noting how far off center the first curved line appears (telephone poles are good targets for this test), and then how curved they become near the edge -- somewhere between like this ( or this C ("Cupid's Bow").

CA control can be rather subjective too w/out controlled tests, but if either of you are sensitive to CA, it should be obvious how well the ED glass and other elements work together to control CA in the centerfield and at the edges.

Lastly, but certainly not least, how "fast" is the focuser? That is, how many turns to get from close focus to infinity?

I'm glad that Nikon chose the "Monarch 3" body to do the upgrades. It's the best looking design and reminds me of the EDG II. Could the Monarch 7 ED be a "Poor Man's EDG?" I've got $479 hoping it will.

Brock

Brock,

LOL, very good! I will think of a prize worthy of such accuracy. I will be sure to be complete in my reviews. I think my boss told me that they were overnighting one to me. This means when I am back from my east coast road trip on Monday I should be holding Monarch 7s. At first feel, the Monarch 7 feels like a 32 mm EDG II. Obviously larger, but that is how it initially felt for the 5-10 minutes I was able to hold one.

All the best,
Mike Freiberg

The high density "premium ED glass" certainly didn't weigh them down. At 22.8 oz., the 7s weigh less than the 8x32 EDG, as Mike pointed out, and also less than the 8x32 Premier.

A bin you could carry around your neck all day and just fagetaboutit. OTOH, as someone mentioned, the heavier weight of alphas and the older SLCs gives one the impression of robustness and "quality". Conversely, will "lightweight" be associated with "cheaply made" in buyers' minds?

Consider the Minox 8x43 HG, which weighs only 23.9 oz. The reviewer at best binoculars reviews dot com said they were "solid and robust" in his video review. You don't need a "mil spec" build for most birdwatching.

The big game changer is the large FOV: 8* in an 8x42 is rare. If Nikon had just added dielectric coatings and an ED element to their 6.3* FOV Monarch 3, I wouldn't be interested.

OTOH, the thought that immediately comes to mind is that there might be the usual a trade-off of mediocre edge performance for a wider FOV that you typically find at lower price points. But for nearly $500, I'm expecting fairly good edges, a "clear" step up from the Bushnell Ultra HD. I hope this price reflects that level of quality and is not just because the dollar is weak against the yen.

Did Mike or anyone else mention if the 7 was made in Japan or China?

I have a feeling that Frank the Content plans to visit his local Cabela's this weekend, and that we will be getting his review next week. Sorry, Frank, I haven't mentioned you in my posts in a while and I didn't want you to feel you were being neglected. :)

Perhaps Mike will beat him to the punch.

Brock

Last edited:
Nikon makes (and changes) binoculars so fast that it's website can't keep up with it. This is the latest one for birding AFAIK. if you click on the "blog" you will find a June 4, 2012 entry by Mike Freiberg. The new Nikon "7" isn't listed here yet.

http://www.nikonbirding.com/

It's pretty clear that they market binoculars differently than other binocular makers do. The company seems far more diversified than any other optics company in the world. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they know what they are doing and that their strategy is successful. If it isn't we can all mourn their bankruptcy when it happens and start complaining about why the surviving small Chinese manufacturers don't listen to us.

Bob

Hey everyone,

Our products are never introduced at the same point in time on the world-wide scale. Given this forum is an international forum there will be times when products are launched at different times and discussed on the forum. For example, the Monarch 7 has been launched in the UK whereas it won't be launched in the US until 7/7/12. As soon as the product is launched in the US, our website will be updated accordingly. Hope everyone is having a great day!

All the best,
Mike Freiberg

Hi Mike, do you know when the Monarch 7 will be available in South Africa?

Its been on the Nikon South Africa website since April (thats when I first noticed it).

Need to get a new Bino and this might just be the right choice...

Best regards

I ran into the Monarch 7 at a Cabelas earlier this week. Never been a big fan of the Monarch line yet took a look through the 8x42 version. Impressions:

Field of View. I own a 8x32 Premier and it seemed very similar. It felt huge!! I wear glasses and there was plenty of eye relief to provide a full view to the edge.

Image: Being inside a store many binoculars seem impressive so I compared it to some others. Compared it to Bushnell Ultra Legend HD 8x42. They appeared to be the same in the center yet the Nikon presented a better image closer to the edge. I would guess it was around 80% + before there was any drop off. Also compared it to Cabelas Euro HD 10x42. Different power. The Euro seemed a bit sharper to me than the Nikons. Must say I focused on a distant image over and over before I could detect it. Wasn't very noticeable and I could be wrong.

Fit and feel. The Nikon Monarch 7 is truly comfortable to hold. I noticed that immediately. It reminded me of my Premiers yet felt much lighter. The focus wheel was impressively smooth and was much like my Premiers. The focus depth (speed of focus wheel, I believe) very good. Slower than my Premiers which are very fast.

Price: $479

I may take my Premiers to Cabelas and do a direct comparison.

I ran into the Monarch 7 at a Cabelas earlier this week. Never been a big fan of the Monarch line yet took a look through the 8x42 version. Impressions:

Field of View. I own a 8x32 Premier and it seemed very similar. It felt huge!! I wear glasses and there was plenty of eye relief to provide a full view to the edge.

Image: Being inside a store many binoculars seem impressive so I compared it to some others. Compared it to Bushnell Ultra Legend HD 8x42. They appeared to be the same in the center yet the Nikon presented a better image closer to the edge. I would guess it was around 80% + before there was any drop off. Also compared it to Cabelas Euro HD 10x42. Different power. The Euro seemed a bit sharper to me than the Nikons. Must say I focused on a distant image over and over before I could detect it. Wasn't very noticeable and I could be wrong.

Fit and feel. The Nikon Monarch 7 is truly comfortable to hold. I noticed that immediately. It reminded me of my Premiers yet felt much lighter. The focus wheel was impressively smooth and was much like my Premiers. The focus depth (speed of focus wheel, I believe) very good. Slower than my Premiers which are very fast.

Price: $479

I may take my Premiers to Cabelas and do a direct comparison.

Sounds very promising. Especially considering that it's almost half the price of the Euro HD which has some enthusiastic supporters on this forum.

At 650 grams it's the same weight as my Nikon Edg 8x32. It's probably one of the lightest 42mm binos on the market without giving up anything for build or optical quality in it's price point.

I have a feeling that people who compare the Monarch 7 to the new Zeiss Conquest HD will probably opt for the former due to it's lower price and only a percent or two (if that) less good optically.

Fellow forumnites, we Nikon enthusiasts await your reports :t:

Sounds very promising. Especially considering that it's almost half the price of the Euro HD which has some enthusiastic supporters on this forum.

At 650 grams it's the same weight as my Nikon Edg 8x32. It's probably one of the lightest 42mm binos on the market without giving up anything for build or optical quality in it's price point.

I have a feeling that people who compare the Monarch 7 to the new Zeiss Conquest HD will probably opt for the former due to it's lower price and only a percent or two (if that) less good optically.

Fellow forumnites, we Nikon enthusiasts await your reports :t:

This model could finally make a roof fan out of me. But will it survive an SE/EII A/B test?

<B>

Hey everyone,

.............. For example, the Monarch 7 has been launched in the UK whereas it won't be launched in the US until 7/7/12. ............................

All the best,
Mike Freiberg

June 24th .......

I ran into the Monarch 7 at a Cabelas earlier this week. ....................................

June 25th ........

in stock at Cabelas in hamburg pa in 10x only. wanted to compare the 8x vs the viper hd but they didn't know when the 8x would be in.

So much for the July 7th launch date!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back