• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta HA 75 thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

that's a pity with the 823, although you might just ask the seller if EU postage is an option too... he might agree, especially since there has not really been a bidding war going on...

Joachim

Already did that, that's why I know for sure. Tried making him a good offer (320) to pursuade him, and might do a 360 later to try that.

Right now looking at Opticron IS 60ED WP (with HR 16-48 eyepiece), wondering if that Kowa ts-613 would be more worth the same money (guess so) while still thinking that one is overpriced. Might just wait for a good deal on a nice 2ndhand to come along...

But this looks like a great deal.

I've also considered the Helios Fieldmaster 60ED but I think with a secondhand or the Opticron IS 60ED I'd be better off than with that Helios, same for the Nikon Prostaff 5.

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting. Can't find much specs on the tsn-1 though. 77mm? Seems bulky. How would I get this to me, as it seems a local site?

Now I'm able to spend around €500 (it all started with €300 haha) I'm trying to get the best out of it. If I can get something like the TS-823 in that budget, I'll go for that. If I can get a new(er), slimmer ED version in my budget, I'll go for that. Surely I'd like more a objective aroudn 80mm but portability and price considered, I'd be happy with a 60-65mm and try to get the best quality buy in that range.

So what I'm looking at now, in order of WANT (and quality?) and all around the same price is:
Kowa TS-823 (2 fixed EP's) - says won't ship to NL
Kowa TS-613 (20-60 zoom)
Opticron IS 60ED WA (HR2 16-48 ) (incl tripod)
Opticron GS 815 GA (27-80 ep, crazy much)
Nikon Prostaff 5 82A

Wonder how the TSN-1 fits in, optically.

Oh yes; the Meopta haha. Seller isn't responding to my offer, so guess it's a no-go. Could push it but I think I can do better for the same of bit higher price.

Last edited:
Hi,

yes, the TSN-1 is a 77mm angled scope, the normal glass brother of my TSN-3 with fluorite. It was launched sometimes in the early 80s and was the best scope available until the TSN-3 came along in '86 which lost the crown to the Swaro AT80 HD sometimes in the nineties.
It's still a nice scope although with no ED glass some chromatic aberration is visible at higher mag. Also all TSN-1/2/3/4 models are usually single coated unless it says otherwise on the body for the very latest examples.

I know a lady with one and tried it with her old Kowa zoom (not so great above 40x) and my 30 wide and the Opticron SDL EP. It was still a nice scope and sharp up to the 54x the SDLv2 gives on it. It's around 1.4 kg with the SDLv2 zoom - slightly less with the Kowa zoom or 30 wide.

Optically on your list it's certainly behind the Kowa 823 and probably also behind the 613 despite its larger aperture due to ED glass and modern coatings on the 613.
Not sure about the Opticrons because they are both lower end models. But the set with the IS 60 ED has a nice and stable tripod and is probably good value for a new scope. The Prostaff is probably not in a league with all the others.
Regarding build quality the old TSN-1 probably above all of them as it is full metal and built like a tank - although not waterproof.

Regarding how it gets to you - I am visiting family close to the seller next weekend and if you're interested I could have a closer look and pick it up if good - although it should be, it's new in box with some cosmetic damage - to the box.
Then I'll probably just send it to you and you can paypal me.

Joachim

Joachim, thanks for the information and courteous offer to be a middle man for the TSN-1. I'll let you know in time if I'm interested.
How's that (darn ugly) tripod? Can't find much info on it online.

Right now I'm trying to convince two TS-823 sellers to ship to me. Despite the greater weight of a larger lens, it appeals to me because I know I'll be wanting it further down the road for seabirds viewing on some higher mags.

Indeed I also suspect the 613 to be (a bit?) superior over the tsn-1, so that's something serious to consider. Weight and size of the 613 is a plus above the tsn-1 as well, latter's ruggedness a plus. But the tsn-1 is half the price of the 613 and then includes a tripod...a steal?

The Opticron is a nice set indeed, for a really good price (all bought separately way more expensive) and the scope gets very good reviews for a low/mid budgetter. A new scope gives a nice feeling. But if the same budget gets me some top quality...

Maybe someone knows how to compare the Opticron IS 60ED WA to the Kowa TS-613? Big difference? The Kowa has the old zoom eyepiece, the Opticron the HR2 zoom.

Last edited:
Hi,

if you can get the 823, that would be great... it has two great fixed EPs and will take current EPs for the 600/660/82SV series with an adapter TSN-EC1A (still available from Kowa). And if you get one with a zoom from that series, that one was much improved.

Frankly the 613 is kinda expensive in my opinion. I got my TSN-3 with same bad old zoom for 400€ and that included a much sought after Cullman Titan heavy duty tripod and ballhead which I'll probably put on ebay since it's rated for 30kg+ and weights 7kg...

The TSN-1 at the price asked is a good deal even if the tripod is no good, although I expect it to be passable. Nothing online on the type but its been sold under the name of a little german company building specialized heavy duty tripods for lighting or music purposes...

If I had to choose between the 613 and the IS 60 offers only, I would take the latter. It has a stable tripod and no current zoom EP can be as bad as the 90s vintage Kowa zoom.

Joachim

Thank you, Joachim! And there's a new one in the mix: Celestron Regal M2 65ed! Bit over my budget but...

I agree on the kowa 613 being overpriced and yes...I know the reputation of that old zoom...

Let's wait if the 823 sellers bite, if not I start looking at the new Opticron and Celestron first, I think...

Last edited:
Well. One ts823 seller is willing to ship if I pay full £470 for the set (bag, Velbon tripod and 32wa eyepiece)...it's top end of my budget, was looking for Opticron Regal m2 65ed or Vnguard Endeavor 82a for that price minus the tripod... I'd want an additional eyeiece with th 823...50x or a new good zoom. What pruces do thise go at?

Ries,
My advice is: go to a good shop first and have a try of different telescope types to avoid disappointments and to avoid that you are stuck in the polder with your folding bike , with a too heavy scope and a tripod that falls over upon approach of mosquitos.
Gijs van Ginkel

I know, Gijs, I know. And I'm past flimsy tripods now, accepted I will need something better than an compact and will have to carry that with me.
And yes I know House of Outdoor is a dealer of Kowa, Vanguard and Opticron and I might be able to test some of my choice there. But they're a nono for a buy because even with the 20% discount ticket they're still quite expensive on their pricing for me...

Aaaand I know Ganymedes has the Celestron to try out ;)

Last edited:
Well. One ts823 seller is willing to ship if I pay full £470 for the set (bag, Velbon tripod and 32wa eyepiece)...it's top end of my budget, was looking for Opticron Regal m2 65ed or Vnguard Endeavor 82a for that price minus the tripod... I'd want an additional eyeiece with th 823...50x or a new good zoom. What pruces do thise go at?

Hi,

the price of 470 ukp inc. tripod seems not super cheap but ok.
Regarding 823 EPs that's a bit tricky - first there are the official ones, all discontinued. They do come up from time to time on ebay, but not exactly frequently. See the following thread for a list.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=309154

Then there's the current EPs for the 600, 660 and 82SV series which fit with a quite expensive adapter TSN-EC1A (89€) . The zoom for this is called TSE-Z9B and is 300€ or so.

Then BF user mayoayo has modified a Baader Hyperion astro zoom to fit the 823 but this needed a little modification of the zoom EP and some machining on an adapter ring delivered with the zoom (changing an M45 to an M51 thread.
In case you are interested, you might want to PM him. The Baader Zoom is quite nice on my astro refractor and I did a quick try on my TSN-3 by just holding it in the bayonet flange and got into focus at 150m or so - haven't tried infinity yet though.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=302688

Joachim

Ries, post 31,
I was not referring to one special shop, any shop with sufficient items will but how about ABRO in Zaandam, who might have some used items to investigate.
Gijs van Ginkel

For under 500euro you should be able to pick up a Nikon EDii. If you can get one with the fixed 24x I'd strongly recommend it. I used the straight model for a few years when I had less cash than I do now, and it never let me down - used it in Central America, Morocco, Thailand, UK... I was also lucky as mine didn't leak either. Here is a mint straight model for a good price: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-60m...897335?hash=item51e48e88b7:g:SdYAAOSwLs5XLZvD but I've seen them go for a lot less - I sold mine for £150, and have replaced it with an ED50 & ED82. The 823 is a lovely scope but a bit of a beast. The 613 is still one of the best compact scopes out there, particularly with the 30x wide. TSN3's are also solid workhorses and deliver great images still rivalling the top generation after 30+ years. Good luck with your scope quest!

Thanks @ Gijs for the ABRO suggestion, didn't know them and have just mailed them for info. What was that store in Utrecht you mentioned with 2ndhand tripods?

Thanks @ Daniel for the Nikon EDII/III suggestion! Looking into that.

I'm skipping the current available Kowa's: some too much hassle, or not ideal with EP's...maybe one will come along later.

Right now wondering how samepriced Celestron Regal M2 65ED and Vanguard Endeavor HD 82a would compare, already read everything on them :) Celestron seems optically superior, and big plus in the 1.25" ep options, the 82 lens of Vanguard might offer more clarity but seems to not perform that good at 40+ mags which would be better for future seawatch. Besides that, variety in samples is large, and I know from experience with the 10x42 EDII bins that build quality is not that fantastic...Chinese. Too bad the Regal 80ED is financially out of reach...find them cheap in US but with import taxes pricing is still too high.

I will go try them both and in the meantime keep watching for a nice 2ndhand to come along.

Last edited:
Hi,

being patient is probably a good idea. Another model to look out for would be the Pentax 65 ED. Compact, good optics and takes astro EPs. There's one in the classifieds atm but it's straight and US only.

Joachim

Ries, another suggestion perhaps: In august there is an international open air optics fair in the streets of Doesburg, you can find some excellent stuff there for reasonable prices.
Gijs

Hey, that's a fun suggestion, Gijs! Don't know if I can wait that long haha, but it might pay off.
Thanks for the Utrecht tip; will check them out. And this morning I found your article on scopes and digiscoping ;) will dig into that later on.

ABRO and HoO currently don't have anything 2nd hand in my budget :(

cheers!

Last edited:
Well, I've come to the conclusion the Celestron Regal M2 65ed is a good choice for me. Up in my budget, best combo diameter/price/portability and ordered from a good Dutch service store, Ganymedes, where I could get all the eyepieces to dream of.

Then tripod/heads.. that was a quest and just able to go shopping to Utrecht that one Saturday a week when I want to actually go birding I ventured online...Wanting 3 section legs and preferably fluid 2way head I decides Vanguard Alta's were too low and flimsy although the gimmicky pistolgrip looked nice.
Two Velbon combo's caught my eye: this one I liked the sturdy tripod but not the head...and this one the head but not the 4 section tripod...grrr.

The I found a combo I liked, with 150e on top of my budget and more expensive than the other ones but I want to get it as right as possible the first time around: Velbon Sherpa E5300D with Velbon FHD-53D.

A strap with it (think Speyside sling is too wobbly qhen cycling, the other shoulder strap is sweatier on my back but better) and I'm done.

Comments? Something I might be overlooking?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back