• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivids / Geovids (1 Viewer)

Pronghunter

I had an older pair of Leica Geovids that I recently received back from Leica repair, but sold before even looking through them and comparing. I currently own 10x42 Noctivids and think they are great in many ways. I especially like the pop it seems to have. I am in the market for another pair of rangefinder binos and was wondering how the “newer” Geovid HD-B’s are compared to my current Noctivids as far as optically? Has anyone had both side by side and compared? The advantage for me is getting the rangefinder, but I’m wondering if I’m going to see a substantial difference between the later or current Geovids and the Noctivids, so much so that I would leave the Geovids at home. Any experience with both? Thanks.

Pronghunter, post 1,
On the WB-site of House of Outdoor under "verrekijkers testen en vegelijkenÿou can find test reports of different RF binoculars of different brands, als the newest ones except for the Zeiss HT rangefinders. The reports are in Dutch, but tables and graphs are international, so it should not be a problem.
Gijs van Ginkel

Can't say how they compare to the Noctovids, but my HD-B Geovid was noticeably behind my 10x50SV optically. It has very nice glass, but not up to SV standards.

I haven`t been able to compare the glass you mentioned, specifically, but I did alot of research and chose the 10x42 Zeiss Victory RF as my range finding bin. In fact I like it so much that I sold my Swaro EL SV 8.5x42 (a remarkable optic) and use the RF exclusively now. The Zeiss is built on the HT platform and offers wonderful images, and IMHO offers a nice, tack sharp natural image without rolling ball or colour cast. Where I think it really shines is the Rangefinder, and the Bluetooth interface with your mobile. The interface is flawless and allows you to upload 9 ballistic profiles to the optic. The bin also feels rock solid in hand, it feels like it can survive anything, build quality is what you would expect for the price. Lastly, the focus wheel is sublime, perfectly weighted and seems to glide on a cushion of light oil. Best I`ve ever felt.

Long story short, I`ve read several times that the Geovid HD-B is lacking from an optical standpoint versus the Alpha`s (darker image mostly), whereas the Victory RF gets consistent high praise for being a great optic and RF. Check it out.

I haven`t been able to compare the glass you mentioned, specifically, but I did alot of research and chose the 10x42 Zeiss Victory RF as my range finding bin. In fact I like it so much that I sold my Swaro EL SV 8.5x42 (a remarkable optic) and use the RF exclusively now. The Zeiss is built on the HT platform and offers wonderful images, and IMHO offers a nice, tack sharp natural image without rolling ball or colour cast. Where I think it really shines is the Rangefinder, and the Bluetooth interface with your mobile. The interface is flawless and allows you to upload 9 ballistic profiles to the optic. The bin also feels rock solid in hand, it feels like it can survive anything, build quality is what you would expect for the price. Lastly, the focus wheel is sublime, perfectly weighted and seems to glide on a cushion of light oil. Best I`ve ever felt.

Long story short, I`ve read several times that the Geovid HD-B is lacking from an optical standpoint versus the Alpha`s (darker image mostly), whereas the Victory RF gets consistent high praise for being a great optic and RF. Check it out.

I am glad you posted. I actually have the Zeiss RF’s. 2018’s. Been using them for a bit now, and on Br11 (highest LED brightness) they appear to be bright in doors. BUT, outside here in Montana with the snow covered hills and bright days, I almost cannot read or see the display. For example, right now everything is covered in snow. If I am outside and I am ranging a mountain or hill side with no dark objects around for a background, just bright snow and sunny out, the rangefinder has no issues ranging, I just cannot visibly see the display very well. I also have the EL Range and they are almost too bright on their lower setting. (No ballistic solver in them and only go to 32 yards for a low). I use to have the older Geovids but they only gave out Click values and wasn’t a fan of an SD Card...and glass was so so. I’ve also noticed the right barrel of the Zeiss is substantially darker than the left due to the rangefinder. My eyes strain a little. So I thought my next option would be the Leica HD-B 3000. Unfortunately still has an SD card, but it does dish out MOA But again, not the greatest glass for dusk or twilight. The Zeiss would be perfect if the right barre was brighter, and if I could see the LED when bright and snowy out. Have you by chance been able to use yours on a sunny day when everything is covered in snow?

I am glad you posted. I actually have the Zeiss RF’s. 2018’s. Been using them for a bit now, and on Br11 (highest LED brightness) they appear to be bright in doors. BUT, outside here in Montana with the snow covered hills and bright days, I almost cannot read or see the display. For example, right now everything is covered in snow. If I am outside and I am ranging a mountain or hill side with no dark objects around for a background, just bright snow and sunny out, the rangefinder has no issues ranging, I just cannot visibly see the display very well. I also have the EL Range and they are almost too bright on their lower setting. (No ballistic solver in them and only go to 32 yards for a low). I use to have the older Geovids but they only gave out Click values and wasn’t a fan of an SD Card...and glass was so so. I’ve also noticed the right barrel of the Zeiss is substantially darker than the left due to the rangefinder. My eyes strain a little. So I thought my next option would be the Leica HD-B 3000. Unfortunately still has an SD card, but it does dish out MOA But again, not the greatest glass for dusk or twilight. The Zeiss would be perfect if the right barre was brighter, and if I could see the LED when bright and snowy out. Have you by chance been able to use yours on a sunny day when everything is covered in snow?

I have noticed some difficulty reading the display when ranging in super bright conditions against a white background, but in my area, eastern Canada, I'm mostly in a wooded environment and almost always have enough background elements to clearly show my display. I can see how in your situation, you might have some issues.

Regarding the right tube being darker, I read about this, but I honestly can't see it even if I'm looking for it. I thought it was more of an issue on previous generations, and on the current generation it is all but eliminated, which has been my experience with them. Non-issue for me.

I have noticed some difficulty reading the display when ranging in super bright conditions against a white background, but in my area, eastern Canada, I'm mostly in a wooded environment and almost always have enough background elements to clearly show my display. I can see how in your situation, you might have some issues.

Regarding the right tube being darker, I read about this, but I honestly can't see it even if I'm looking for it. I thought it was more of an issue on previous generations, and on the current generation it is all but eliminated, which has been my experience with them. Non-issue for me.

Ok. Thanks for the reply.

My Noctovids are 8x42, and the Geovid HD-B is inferior optically, and noticeably darker as mentioned above. To get a ranger with closer optical performance, the Zeiss RF. Swaro's optics on their RF are better than the Leica's RF, but not as good as the Zeiss, and the Swaro's electronics are not on par with either the Leica or the Zeiss. Overall, for the moment, the more recently released Zeiss are the best in RF.

I'm in Alaska and have no trouble seeing the Zeiss RF display in white conditions.

I'm in Alaska and have no trouble seeing the Zeiss RF display in white conditions.

When you say no trouble, are they still bright and easily seen in bright white snowy areas, or do you really have to focus pretty hard to see the display? I’ve asked several others who own them as well and I get a lot of mixed reviews. And so I understand, the Geovids HD-B 3000’s are not near the Noctivids optically correct? Thanks. Just want to make sure I understand.

The Geovids HD-B 3000’s are not on par with the Noctivids optically. The closest ranging binoculars optically are the Zeiss.

Can't say how they compare to the Noctovids, but my HD-B Geovid was noticeably behind my 10x50SV optically. It has very nice glass, but not up to SV standards.
I think it depends which model you are comparing. I was underwhelmed by the 10x42 HD-B, but I tried the 8x56 HD-B alongside my 10x50 SV for over a week in all kinds of different terrain and light before finally deciding to make the switch and I haven't once regretted the decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back