• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid Safari HD+ model (1 Viewer)

markjnk

Hi everyone, I`m considering the 2017 UV Safari 10-32 HD+ which I've found for a price that is lower than the standard UVHD+. It seems reasonable, looks sharp, BUT I`m concerned about the durability of the green finish.

Can anyone that owns one, please tell me:
A) Is the objective end of the barrels past the leather covered in a green rubberized coating, or simply a metal base painted green?
B) How has your bin held up over use, does it scratch easily or is the finish reasonably durable?

If I bought it, I would use it for birding and nature, nothing too crazy abusive, but certainly not a safe queen either.

Thanks in advance.
Mark

I have the 2016 8x42 and it has what appears to be a plastic/polymer material (recessed as a sleeve into the inner objective tubes) on the tube base. This material is likely for the purpose of protecting the magnesium tube. I am sure the Blackline models have this also, owners of the Blackline will likely chime in.
Mine is not used much at all, more of collectors item.

Andy W.

I've only owned the 8x32 Ultravid HD armored but my understanding is that for the leather models, that area in front of the leather, around the objective bell, is made out of anodized aluminum on the black models. It could be the the safari version is also anodized but there are so many metal finish products available today and it could just as easily be something similar to Cerakote in one of the hundreds of colors they're capable of.

I suspect that if they were dropped hard enough onto an irregular surface, the aluminum would deform beneath any surface coating regardless of that finish's hardness or wear resistance. Typically though, type III anodizing will protect against all normal binocular use and some of the newer finishes are even more durable.

I have been researching this binocular. It appears to be made in Portugal. The black 10x32 uvhd+ is made in Germany. Same as the leather version.

Is there a difference in quality of an uvhd+ made in Germany as compared to one made in Portugal. I know very little about Leica. Thanks.

Dereck

Hi everyone, I`m considering the 2017 UV Safari 10-32 HD+ which I've found for a price that is lower than the standard UVHD+. It seems reasonable, looks sharp, BUT I`m concerned about the durability of the green finish.

………………………...
If I bought it, I would use it for birding and nature, nothing too crazy abusive, but certainly not a safe queen either.

...........Mark

I'd be mostly concerned about the fact that the green continues on the inner side of the objective tube (to the front lenses). This might well cause some extra reflections depending on the light. So, essentially, these models are rather really meant to remain "safe queens". :eek!:

I have the 2016 8x42 and it has what appears to be a plastic/polymer material (recessed as a sleeve into the inner objective tubes) on the tube base. This material is likely for the purpose of protecting the magnesium tube. I am sure the Blackline models have this also, owners of the Blackline will likely chime in.
Mine is not used much at all, more of collectors item.

Andy W.

I'd be mostly concerned about the fact that the green continues on the inner side of the objective tube (to the front lenses). This might well cause some extra reflections depending on the light. So, essentially, these models are rather really meant to remain "safe queens". :eek!:

So IS there a problem with this or are you saying there MAY be a problem with this?

I JUST got a current 8X42 Ultravid "Silverline." I haven't taken it birding or anything of the sort as I've worked every day since I've got it. Will be Thursday before I will get to BUT....I also have a UVHD+ 8X42.....and comparisons out my back door are favorable! If any binocular is going to have that problem it would seem to be that one.

Personally...I'd buy that binocular without reservation.....until an actual user comes along and says there is an issue.

I agree with Chuck, your concern about the green cover makes absolutely no
difference in the optics.

Jerry

I agree with Chuck, your concern about the green cover makes absolutely no
difference in the optics.

Jerry

I'd have to agree with Chuck and NDhunter in that I've never once experience any concern with a non-black covered binocular with regards to image or reflections. I suppose if it was zebra striped or had big, white letters near the objective opening I'd have my reservations but not for a solid, matte color like this.

I'd have to agree with Chuck and NDhunter in that I've never once experience any concern with a non-black covered binocular with regards to image or reflections. I suppose if it was zebra striped or had big, white letters near the objective opening I'd have my reservations but not for a solid, matte color like this.

For what it's worth I was using a green armoured Trinovid 8x20BCA admittedly just as a general purpose glass for 15 years before I got infected by Variant BGATP Dialytis aka Increasing Binocular Disease last summer. I never noticed any kind of green cast to the whites and don't remember being troubled by many reflections in normal use.

If it's any help I am happy to try them out with that in mind when I collect them from service by Gary Hawkins in the near future. if this is a problem it would affect presumably other more serious binoculars in use for birdwatching such as green Victory FLs and I don't remember reading of a problem there in any of the reviews or posts.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back