• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are these tree swallow eggs unviable? (1 Viewer)

friedela

It's been 21 days since the last of 5 eggs was laid in my nest box, all eggs are still there, none have hatched yet :( :( If I am being realistic, is it likely they are all unviable? How long do I wait before I give up hope?

Are they still being incubated? According to BNA-online the incubation period is most commonly 13-14 days within a range of 10-20 days. That said, if it were me, I wouldn't give up hope quite yet.

Last edited:
They have been incubated for quite some time already.. I decided to gently take them out and candle them tonight. Holding each one up my cell phone flashlight, one egg held a dark red embryo, not moving (dried up blood explains the colour), the other 4 were clear with nothing inside :( I've been watching these birds from the beginning, build their nest, lay their eggs and take turns watching over their family.. I'm super heartbroken that I won't get to see any hatchlings. I think the cold spells and rain made it impossible for them to survive. Maybe next year will bring better luck :(

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back