• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In and around South Staffordshire. (1 Viewer)

I have also found myself looking at the skies whilst at the Molineux this season!!

I visit the Himley/Baggeridge area too though mainly during a run so not ideal to spot birds enroute (although I don't move that fast). I'm new to birding but really enjoy it, I've been visiting Upton Warren a few times and have always been amazed at what I see there - 2 avocets last time plus a kestrel hovering just outside and level with the hide.

I will make sure I take a more leisurely stroll through Baggeridge next time.

Cheers.

Linwolf said:
I have also found myself looking at the skies whilst at the Molineux this season!!

That makes 2 of us Linwolf, My reason was usually desperation. Nothing special to report from Baggeridge lately, but it is always worth a visit because as you can see from the posts on this thread birds that are a bit special can be seen.

One of the main reasons for looking at the skies has been Stefan Postma's kicking. He is a good keeper, but I've never seen anyone kick as badly as he does, they literally go anywhere once they leave his boot.

Been on a fishing trip again to the gravel pit. Nothing exciting seen, not even the shelduck were around this time.

The oystercatcher were still about though, although the nesting site was not being used. I saw a mink swimming from the island so that isn't a particularly encouraging sign. Apart from that the birds were active, often leaving the pit for prolonged periods but returning for the evening.

Did see a single common tern working its way over the pit. It wasn't on there very long, literally just passing through.

One single lapwing flew over the gravel pit.

Quiet on the bird front but did catch a bream of exactly 10lb, so all was not lost!

30 species
Total for the year - 90

Keeping to the title of the thread, it was back to South Staffordshire again this afternoon for a walk along the Staffs/Worcs canal at Dimmingsdale, plus a slight excursion round a lane to see if I could spot any partridges. (I seem to have them on my mind at the moment)

Highlight was 3 wheatear in a field just off the canal (2xf 1xm) which I had extended views off. In fact I was able to sit on the grass in the sun (really nice day today - went birding in shorts for the first time this year) and observe them for a considerable time. Brilliant!

Whilst watching the wheatear, no more than a metre away from one bird was a fieldfare. It seemed odd watching the bird basking in the sun, you associate them more with winter. I haven't seen one for weeks, I thought they had all gone by now.

Also saw my first whitethroat of the year, in fact saw one bird singing in the hedge along the canal and heard another, so there were 2 different birds around.

A single tree sparrow was spotted in a bush on the far bank of the canal.

The excursion down the lane, with ploughed fields on the one side didn't produce any partridges but did spot 4 lapwing, one on a nest.

All in all, an excellent afternoon. Particularly when I put the radio on in the car on the way back home to discover my favourite football team had got relegated. Ah, what a shame. :hi:

3 hours - 38 species
Total for the year - 92

What a difference a couple of days make. Saturday I was birding in shorts and this afternoon over at Sandwell Valley RSPB reserve, I find myself in the middle of a short hailstorm! Such is the unpredictability of the English weather.

However, birds are a little more predictable and the gadwall were again in residence in and around Forge Mill Lake. Spotted 5 birds (3xm 2xf) not the usual 3 pairs, although I'm sure the other female wasn't far away.

A few shoveler around also, a pair seen initially and then 3 males. Also a pair of teal on the small pool below the visitor centre.

A couple of new species for the year also. Saw my first swift, numbers of birds 20+ and also a pair of male ruddy duck on the lake.

Saw a whitethroat with nesting materials in it beak and got a glimpse of what I am 99% sure was a lesser whitethroat. But unless I am 100% sure I don't count them.

2 hours - 30 species
Total for the year - 94

A quick trip to Baggeridge yesterday,saw all the usual species ,plus a pair of Pheasant taking no notice of anything as they scratched among the Bracken.The Wood Warbler I saw Monday was not showing but 2 Garden Warbler(possibly a pair) were in the trees by the burning fields,also a Male Blackcap was showing well in the same area.2 Great spotted Woodpeckers have taken over a nest hole that the Nuthatch had mudded up a week ago. 82 species.

On another 2 night fishing trip to a Staffordshire gravel pit. Can't get around too much during the day, but it's amazing what you can see rooted in just one spot.

Added a couple of new birds for the year, first of all a sedge warbler. The bird was in residence in reeds right next to where I was set up. It also sang right into darkness, which was a beautiful sound to listen to as I was there waiting for a fish!

A couple of common sandpiper were also on the gravel pit, mostly flitting from one island to another. Although at quite a distance I did manage to get a good view, and particularly so when the birds were in flight.

Other birds worthy of mention included common tern, shelduck, oystercatcher and gadwall.

33 species
Total for the year - 96

A short early evening session over Baggeridge Country Park. Lovely weather and great to be out in the sunshine.

Not much on the bird front though, just the usual suspects. Saw three birds of prey, all single sightings - kestrel, sparrowhawk and common buzzard.

Lots of singing birds though, which is always nice to hear. Sometimes I like to just focus on a bird as ordinary as a song thrush and observe it as it sings from a branch. I find all bird songs beautiful in their own right.

1.5 hours - 24 species
Total for the year - 96

A late morning walk around the Shropshire countryside in the Worfield area. I enjoy walking lanes, particularly in areas where traffic is minimal. Today was really warm and a very pleasant experience.

A couple of whitethroat spotted in hedges, one with nesting materials in its beak. Got good views of one of the birds singing. Brilliant!

Several lapwing sighted, some in flight, others in fields alongside the road. One bird on a nest.

Was really hoping to see a grey partridge, instead several sightings of red legged partridge. On one occasion, a pair of partridges crossed the road a few hundred metres from where I had walked. Due to the haze from the sun I couldn't make out the species so I backtracked, only to find it was 'just' a pair of red legs.

Also several skylark heard, but just the one seen.
2.5 hours - 31 species
Total for the year - 96

I was skywatching this morning (as you say used to that with Postma's kicking!).....no Honey Buzzard unfortunately but 3 Buzzards, a great stoop from a Peregrine, A Raven, and earlier on a small bird flew in to my bedroom window. 20 minutes later it was till on the ground, clearly stunned but ok. It gradually began to lift its head. Amazingly a cat walked straight past it just inches away. I rushed outside to see the cat off, getting a closer view I could see it was a Garden Warbler. A nice surprise. I sat by it for 10 minutes as it recouperated. Then the postman walked up the drive and it shot off....a happy ending.

wolfbirder said:
I was skywatching this morning (as you say used to that with Postma's kicking!).....no Honey Buzzard unfortunately but 3 Buzzards, a great stoop from a Peregrine, A Raven, and earlier on a small bird flew in to my bedroom window. 20 minutes later it was till on the ground, clearly stunned but ok. It gradually began to lift its head. Amazingly a cat walked straight past it just inches away. I rushed outside to see the cat off, getting a closer view I could see it was a Garden Warbler. A nice surprise. I sat by it for 10 minutes as it recouperated. Then the postman walked up the drive and it shot off....a happy ending.

4 of us were watching Buzzards when the Honey Buzzard flew right past them without giving them a second glance. It was pure luck.Nice ending for the Garden warbler.

Ive spent lot of time at baggeridge last month, eventually got to see the firecrest but not great views. cant tell how it was a male.
Did enjoy excellent views of LSW by island pool once, male and female. Probably my best views ever. Couldnt find the tawny owls even tho stood underneath the tree they roost in. Also had Green Woodpecker & A male Bullfinch in Whites wood, as well as siskin, Blackcap etc.

A short evening session down Red lane and then briefly on to Penn Common before returning back to the car.

The moorhen on the pond have now got three chicks, that have left the nest and out on the water for themselves. There are a lot of moorhen in the area, mostly concentrated on Penn Common Brook and the water works.

Chiffchaff, blackcap and willow warbler all seen, the first two singing. Blackcap have a beautiful song and I find it a sheer delight to focus on a bird that is in full throttle. I actually saw a pair of birds feeding in trees alongside Penn Common Brook.

Finches out in mumbers, individual species seen: goldfinch, chaffinch, greenfinch and bullfinch.

1.75 hours - 27 species
Total for the year - 96

A night fishing session on a gravel pit in the Trent valley, so didn't get much chance to do birding, but took the binoculars anyway.

A pair of common tern were on the pit, both working their way across the water and also perched on an exposed gravel bar for some time. Slightly out of range to get very good views, but nevertheless a pleasure to observe.

A total of five oystercatcher, landing on islands, flying to other gravel pits and so on. Very vocal, it's certainly enough to keep you awake at night. (Not that I am complaining)

A carrion crow mobbed both the oystercatchers and the terns at various times.

A pair of adult Canada goose with 9 goslings. All baby birds are cute, these very much so, I suppose its their fluffiness and mannerisms that are so sppealing.

20 species
Total for the year - 96

Just a short hour long visit to Sheepwash nature reserve in the West Midlands, mainly focusing on the lake. Very enjoyable though.

Highlight was a black necked grebe, which although was quite wary and aware of my presence on the bank, still presented itself very well and I spent some time watching it. A new species for the year.

Pair of little ringed plover on one of the islands and after the grebe disappeared behind an island, I focused on them for a while.

Also a male ruddy duck, diving in the corner of the lake.

1 hour - 26 species
Total for the year - 97

Back to Baggeridge this afternoon, focusing on the Whites Wood / Lydiates Hill area.

Almost the highlight was a lesser spotted woodpecker. A bird flew across the path right on top of the hill, but the sighting was extremely brief. I was 95-99% certain it was a lsw but only count what I am 100% sure of. (The strict rule cost me an almost certain goshawk recently as well, but in my own mind I have to be absolutely sure with no doubt whatsoever).

Female green woodpecker on a branch, very much aware of my presence and flew off as I approached. The area beyond Lydiates is almost guaranteed for the species, I very rarely miss a tick when there.

A silent willow warbler feeding in bushes beyond Lydiates, no chiffchaff although heard several.

Heard a tawny owl calling from the Himley Hall area. All in all a quiet session, but the lsw could have turned that around without question. That's why we persevere, just one good bird can make an average session suddenly become a brilliant one. You never know what's around the next corner, so don't give up!

2.75 hours - 26 species
Total for the year - 97

A morning outing on the public footpath that goes from the A449 near Wombourne, through the Wodehouse estate, up to Gospel End Common and back again. It's a pleasant walk and one that I enjoy - particularly when it's a nice day.

Quite a few skylark around, not always able to see every one that was singing but did identify five separate birds. I was never far from a singing skylark, there always seemed to be one somewhere along the walk. What a delightful backdrop.

Three individual red legged partridge seen, one calling in a field which gave a good view. Partridges are found right up to the fields bordering Gospel End Common. I think that they are currently my favourite birds - I change quite often and find it difficult to be pinned down as such.

Single yellowhammer singing from a barbed wire fence along the ridge.

1.75 hours - 21 species
Total for the year - 97

A walk along a favourite route of mine today, not necessarily that I am expecting to see anything out of the ordinary (but you never know). But I enjoy watching all birds anyway, so regardless of what gets ticked, I enjoy the experience. So down Red Lane and over Penn Common I set off, returning via the fields below Gospel End Village.

Swift, Swallow and House Martin all seen in reasonable numbers.

Watched a great tit feeding its youngster on a branch. Other tits seen were blue tit and long tailed tit.

Heard several chiffchaff but didn't get to see any. Only warbler spotted was a male blackcap on Penn Common.

1.5 hours - 23 species
Total for the year - 97

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back