• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California next August / sept (1 Viewer)

We are intending to stop there in late afternoon on way to Mono Lake, if we don't connect then we will return early one morning or try for the Grouse at Bodie. Good to know quite a few other good birds to see around Owen's River.

I've seen the grouse at both sites - at Bodie the site is closed till (?) 8 or 9 a.m., but the grouse can be seen along the road just before the gate. Last July I saw females with chicks literally 50 metres before the gate. At Crowley, I saw about 25 birds in August a half dozen years back.

Also, though early morning is probably best, I have also seen birds relatively easily in the evening in this middle summer period.

I took the track that leads to the lake from just north of the hot springs. After c1km take the right fork, then after another c1lkm park at a dirt track on the right that is fenced off(this is the long track that heads sw, left of the grouse lek marker on ebird) and view the grassy areas towards the 395. The distances may be underestimates as it seemed further driving, but the road condition may have accounted for this! Driveable in any vehicle with care by the way! Doubt you can view this area from the hot springs, but perhaps very distantly from the 395. Are you planning on visiting aspendell, SW of bishop, for the rosy-finches? And another area which i really enjoyed on my way from yosemite to monterey bay was del puerto canyon road, between patterson and san jose, where i saw yellow-billed magpie, lawrence's goldfinch, tricolored blackbird and lewis's woodpecker amongst other things, and its a nice drive too

Was intending to do Puerto canyon road, will look at Aspendell to see if we can fit it in.
Thanks

thanks for the advice

I've seen the grouse at both sites - at Bodie the site is closed till (?) 8 or 9 a.m., but the grouse can be seen along the road just before the gate. Last July I saw females with chicks literally 50 metres before the gate. At Crowley, I saw about 25 birds in August a half dozen years back.

Also, though early morning is probably best, I have also seen birds relatively easily in the evening in this middle summer period.

Jos

Thanks, sounds like between the two sites we should be ok.

In your trip report you mentioned an reliable site at Salton Sea for roosting Lesser Nighthawk - do have any more details?

Jos

Thanks, sounds like between the two sites we should be ok.

In your trip report you mentioned an reliable site at Salton Sea for roosting Lesser Nighthawk - do have any more details?

Yes, I'll send a map link by PM - if it doesn't open or something, let me know

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back