• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whiskered AND Little Tern? Thailand (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers

I have identified the attached birds as:

1) Whiskered Tern Picture 1 and 2

2) Little Tern Picture 3 and 4 I base this identity on the (what I think) longer bill and the black wing tip and the dark shoulders

But I am really not sure

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 1013.jpg
    1013.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 1015.jpg
    1015.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 1012.jpg
    1012.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 87
  • 1014.jpg
    1014.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 88
I would say pics #1-3 are all Whiskered Terns. Not entirely sure about the last one: could be Little Tern but a difficult angle...The fact that its bill appears to have a noticeable down-curve is supportive of LT.

Last edited:
No.4 is a 1w Little Tern imo - proportionally long wings which show extensive ‘dark’ P’s and dark coverts on the leading edge of the wing - jizz!?

I would say pics #1-3 are all Whiskered Terns. Not entirely sure about the last one: could be Little Tern but a difficult angle...The fact that its bill appears to have a noticeable down-curve is supportive of LT.

Thank you

I was thinking the very same. But then I discovered that the bird in picture #3 looked to be black on the wing tip or at least the front of the wing, and the bill looks a little longer. At least more slender.

Again, itis very hard to see as they move very fast and to take pictures from a small boat is not eay. But I will go for 1-2 Whiskered and #4Little

Aladdin

No.4 is a 1w Little Tern imo - proportionally long wings which show extensive ‘dark’ P’s and dark coverts on the leading edge of the wing - jizz!?

Than you very much!

For me it also look like a LT comparing with my book. But many times it is hard to see on a picture as well with the shadows and light. Grey turns white etc.

I will go for Little Tern

Aladdin

#1-2 Whiskered Terns
#3 Common Tern
#4 Another Common Tern IMO. Crown pattern and structure don't look right for Little Tern to me.

I hadnt looked at pics 1-3 when I posted earlier but agree that pic 3 is Common and so too Common becomes the best contender for no 4 with better deliberation of plumage, particularly primaries.

Structure is often difficult to judge accurately from still shots, especially with a face on flight shot (and of course for all of us much easier in the field!)

(apologies Aladdin!)

#4 looks like a juvenile Common Tern to me.

Laurie -

Cheers

I based my identification as a Little tern on the dark wing front as my book have a shoulder on the little tern. But of course, it don´t make it easier with the different stages of moulding in to winter plumage.

Checking internet and the common have evenly grey wings and I have not seen any "dark" shoulders and thus I put it as a Little tern

Anyway, anyone know if I can say " TERN IN ECLIPSE PLUMAGE"? Or is this only for ducks and sunbirds etc. and tern and gulls are moulding plumage?

Aladdin

Anyway, anyone know if I can say " TERN IN ECLIPSE PLUMAGE"? Or is this only for ducks and sunbirds etc. and tern and gulls are moulding plumage?

AIUI, Eclipse is just for ducks post-breeding camouflaged moult to protect them while moulting primaries. Other birds would be in 'transitional' plumage when moulting from summer to winter and vice versa.

AIUI, Eclipse is just for ducks post-breeding camouflaged moult to protect them while moulting primaries. Other birds would be in 'transitional' plumage when moulting from summer to winter and vice versa.

Thank you very much!

I thought Sunbirds had eclipse plumage as well. But I have mostly read about ducks in eclipse.

Aladdin

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back