• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best places anywhere to see Hummingbirds ? (1 Viewer)

Dave Williams

Without having to trawl through all the many entries on this forum, can anyone offer ideal countries and places to see Hummingbirds.
I visited Costa Rica a couple of years back and the Arenal area was excellent . Didn't make it to the Monteverde Cloud Forest which is meant to be superb, but on the Guanacaste coastal belt there were not that many around.
I need suggestions of anywhere in the world that are both good holiday locations as well as Hummingbird hotspots ! Thanks in anticipation, Dave

Ecuador. Easy,safe travel. 140 species. Loads of lodges, etc. We saw 57 there - without really trying too hard. Buy the field guide and drool.

Hi Chris,
Is Equador a place that you can holiday as a birder/non birder couple ?
The usual requirements.....sun, pool, good food etc,etc
cheers Dave

I think so. We had our Honeymoon (12 years after we were married) there. it's a fantastic country. Andes and Amazon. Galopagos. Nice places to stay. Fun cultures, markets, etc. 1600+ bird species. We spend most of our time now in Indonesia - but always think of our month in Ecuador. And Peru and Columbia are closeby...............

I was there last month and agree that Ecuador is great for hummingbirds. Whether it's great for a non birder depends on what they like. It would be great for exploring, culture, walking... We didn't go to the coast so I can't comment on that but the lodges on the slopes of the Andes (at least the ones that we visited) weren't really places for sun and sitting by the pool.

I was there last month and agree that Ecuador is great for hummingbirds. Whether it's great for a non birder depends on what they like. It would be great for exploring, culture, walking... We didn't go to the coast so I can't comment on that but the lodges on the slopes of the Andes (at least the ones that we visited) weren't really places for sun and sitting by the pool.

Thanks for the input, I'd be interested to read more ! Are you going to submit a report anywhere ?
cheers Dave

Not really, as I am a slow typist and not great with digital image technology. The lodges we went to were:

Sachatamia, on the west slope of the Andes which was nice and a good base for exploring the Mindo area (provided you have a car/transport).

Guango, on the east slope - we were only there for part of a day but it looked good and had sword billed hummers at the feeders. The people who own Guango have another lodge further down towards the Amazon.

Both well set up for birders, with loads of hummingbird feeders. Sachatamia did have a small indoor pool but neither was really set up for a sitting in the sun type holiday.

We live in the interior of Guanacaste, Costa Rica and get 11 species in our garden throughout the year, relying only on the flowers in bloom, including the Ruby-throats.
So many folk are disappointed when the find or more correctly don't find hummers ,everywhere, in Costa Rica.

I live in one of the best places in the states for hummingbirds - Southeast Arizona. But it pales in comparison to what I've heard about Ecuador or Costa Rica.

Lisa, I have read that Arizona is great places to see many species ...all together!

There are a couple of places quite near me in the Huachuca Mountains that sometime have upwards of 9 species coming in to feed at the same time. I think the record for here is 15 in one day at Beatty's Orchid up in Miller Canyon of the Huachuca's.

I would love to see 11 in my garden area. But my yard count is only 4 types, not that I am complaining.

Ecuador would have to be amazing for hummingbirds!

Lisa, I'm in New Mexico but we are wanting to get to your area to photograph some of the birds there. Do you have any suggestions for locations?

A Calliope visiting one of our backyard feeders...

Attachments

• DSC_5662.jpg
    DSC_5662.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 316
Beautiful shot, Pablo. PM me and let me know when you plan on coming, I'll send some info.

If you're ever in the Big Bend area of Texas....

There is a little tourist trap called Langtry that was made famous (or infamous) by Judge Roy Bean. Kitsch aside, they have hung feeders and there are usually many Hummingbirds coming to the feeders. Perhaps not Costa Rica, but fun nevertheless.

Moreover, you can go to Big Bend and see all kinds of other wildlife. You can regularly observe Cactus Wrens, Roadrunners, Phainopeplas (sp?), and Pyrrouluxia. Moreover, I've seen Peregrine Falcons, Golden Eagles, White-Tail Deer, Mule Deer, Pronghorn Antelope, and Javelinas. I've also heard Mountain Lions. Moreover, Boot Canyon is the only place in the US with a nesting population of Colima Warblers.

And if you go in November, you can go to the World Famous Terlingua Chilli Cookoff!

Just got back from Costa Rica and Monteverde was everything I imagined, although not short on tourists. The hummingbird garden is a spectacular display. I am still sorting through the pictures, since I could not begin to identify them all at the time. I just took pictures and enjoyed the show.

Yes, Monteverde in Costa Rica is quite good for hummingbirds. There are busy feeders at both main reserves and feeders at several hotels and even a few restaurants.

La Paz waterfall gardens probably has the biggest hummingbird show in Costa Rica but they charge something like $30 just for day visit.

Recently, I found a great area for hummingbirds along the road between San Ramon and La Fortuna. Simply called The Hummingbird and Butterfly garden, they charge $5 to visit their butterfly garden and humingbird feeding area. It was pretty impressive with 8 species coming to feeders and plantings (they have recorded 14 species total).

I have been watching the replies with great interest. Thank you all.
For this winter we have decided to return to Goa again, instead of a repeat visit to Costa Rica. The decision was fairly straight forward in the end, it came down to ££££££'s ! For the cost of 2 weeks in Costa Rica we get 4 in Goa. I will visit CR again in the furure though, of that there is little doubt.
My biggest regret was that I didn't spend as much time photographing the Humming Birds in Arenal when I had an afternoon to do so, instead going on a guided bird walk. On the other hand, I wouldn't have seen a Toucan during my visit had I not gone !!!!!!!!
Those who have the opportunity to see Hummers on a regular basis are very lucky.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back