• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern California Pelagic (1 Viewer)

peterginsburg

The pelagic trip of the previous post (17 May) has been cancelled. If anyone is interested in a last minute change the 16 May trip out of San Diego should be a go. Information follows:

This popular 12-hour trip goes to the farthest reaches of San Diego County waters—the 30-Mile Bank—to look for seabirds only occasionally or rarely seen in San Diego County (may very briefly bird in L.A. Co. waters). This is an excellent time of year for such sought-after species as Black-footed Albatross, Ashy Storm-Petrel, South Polar Skua, and Scripps’s Murrelet. Near the peak of spring migration. Laysan Albatross and Long-tailed Jaeger also seen on trips within the last few weeks.

LIKELY SPECIES: Black-vented, Pink-footed & Sooty Shearwaters, Ashy & Black Storm-Petrels, Brown Booby, Red-necked & Red Phalaropes, Pomarine & Parasitic Jaegers, Scripps’s Murrelet, Cassin’s & Rhinoceros Auklets, Sabine’s Gull. POSSIBLE SPECIES: Black-footed Albatross, Northern Fulmar, Leach’s Storm-Petrel, Red-billed Tropicbird, South Polar Skua, Common Murre, Common Tern.

MARINE MAMMALS: We expect to see three or four species of dolphins (Bottlenose, Common, Pacific White-sided, and Risso's are the candidates), plus some whales—Blue, Fin, Sei, Minke and Humpback are the best candidates.

CHECK-IN TIME: 5:00-6:00 a.m.
Gates Closed and Locked: 6:15 a.m.
Return: 6:30 p.m.

Standard Registration: $105 April 26 - May 11
Late Registration: $115 on or after May 12

RESERVATIONS: Telephone Point Loma Sportfishing (the Landing) seven days a week at (619) 223-1627.
Tell them you wish to make a reservation for a birding trip on the Grande.

Peter

I think the San Diego trip is the reason the other one didn't go. Too bad. They are usually booked full a couple of weeks before they actually go.

I think the massive cost is the main reason. Short notice + 50%+ more than the one which has been on schedule for a long time really hurt your chances.

I didn't know that was expensive for that kind of trip. Every trip I've done before has been that price or higher.

It's not a terrible price. It is just significantly more expensive than the one out of Pt Loma on the same day. A lot of LACo Birders are on that boat traditionally.

They are really two different kinds of trips. The San Diego-to-30-Mile Bank trip seems to be a reliable, relatively near-shore pelagic. The trip out of Santa Barbara was aiming for much deeper waters, much further ashore with the possibility of Murphy's, Cook's, and even Hawaiian Petrels. The latter trip obviously requires more gas, which --in part-- explains the price difference.

Wim

I imagine most people already have the petrels which is the main motivation for that trip. Makes it harder for those who still lack any petrel of any kind.

Then again that same trip has not turned up petrels multiple times in a row.

I have done the PT Loma one enough that I was very interested in the SB trip but couldn't afford a day off working and the ticket cost with results being what they have recently…

Short notice did not give me enough time to talk myself into it.

The last of the 2015 spring, and only early summer Buena Vista Audubon and
Grande pelagic trip is Sunday June 14th. This is a 12 hour trip.

We will visit the Nine Mile Bank where on May 3, and May 16th. of this year,
the third county record for Laysan Albatross was seen. We also had
Black-footed Albatross there, Apr. 25th. (3), May 3rd.(2) , 12th (4). and
16th. (1). A South Polar Skua was seen there on May 3rd. and an adult
Long-tailed Jaeger on May 12th.

We will also cross the San Diego Trough where Ashy Storm-Petrel is seen
regularly in small numbers. Then on to the 30 Mile Bank in hopes of finding
the Black Storm-Petrel rafts, possibly an early Red-billed Tropicbird and
??? Last year it was a pair of rather early Craveri's Murrelets. The 30 Mile
Bank can also give us the chance for Leach's Storm-Petrel and Guadalupe
Murrelet. I believe that last species to be one of the toughest "regular"
pelagics to get locally.

Check in at Point Loma Sportfishing Landing is 5:30-6:30 a.m., the gates
close at 6:45 for a 7 a.m. departure. Then return by 7 p.m.

Regular price $105. Late sign up after June 7th is $115.

Call 619 223-1627 for your reservation.

Getting harder for me to convince myself to tag along these trips. The SB one I would have done as there would have been a good shot at lots of potential lifers, the other trips are a case of maybe getting one or two, maybe none.

The ones announced later in the season out of SB / Ventura are very attractive to me with this season's weather patterns.

Getting harder for me to convince myself to tag along these trips. The SB one I would have done as there would have been a good shot at lots of potential lifers, the other trips are a case of maybe getting one or two, maybe none.

They do however offer superb birding regardless of potential for new birds. For a a little over US$100, I reckon they are great value for 12 hours on the water.

The ones announced later in the season out of SB / Ventura are very attractive to me with this season's weather patterns.

Which ones do you think would be good? I do like the sound of the October one. Would be good to get long-tailed jaeger and Craveri's murrelet eventually...

I was thinking October might be a great time to check out what's around.

Reading reports right now though, what in the world is going on… Ancient Murrelets are around again. Various Boobies in Anacapa Channel. Might need to just randomly hit a boat a week at this rate.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back