• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (1 Viewer)

Tundra Bean-Goose

there was a vagrant Tundra Bean-Goose at Nestucca NWR in TilLamook County, Oregon, USA on November 11, 2014.

world #2654

Attachments

• Tundra Bean Goose IMG_6987.JPG
    Tundra Bean Goose IMG_6987.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 43
Red-footed Falcon(553), Atlantic Canary (554) and Cory's Shearwater (555), all in the Azores (Sao Miguel) last week. My species count there was only 31, no wintering ducks yet but I got 9 new subspecies. The day I tried for the Azores Bullfinch proved unfruitful, too cloudy (low cloud base) and wet up in the mountains. It gives me an excuse to go back again though!

Franklin's Gull at Blashford on Sunday; cracking bird! :t: Even better, it came hot on the heels of the Portland Dusky Warbler - two Lifers in a day!!

B :) B :)

Franklin's Gull at Blashford on Sunday; cracking bird!

Same bird, same place, a week later.

I keep telling myself to stop going for rarities, given that there's so many relatively common species I haven't seen. And I particularly shouldn't go for yet another species of gull. I probably need to face up to being addicted.

After failing to see it on my first visit to the refuge in January 2012, this morning I finally got to see a Nelson's (Sharp-tailed) Sparrow on a trip to the limited-access (naval base) Seal Beach National Wildlife Refuge with Los Angeles Audubon.

Two lifers for me in Norfolk at the weekend:

#408: Surf Scoter
#409: Snow Bunting

I would've had Twite as well but the weather was so bad on Sunday morning and my glasses and bins were so covered in water that I couldn't see them. They were on my 5 species wishlist for the year too. :(

Yesterday was a good example of the highs and lows of birding. Dropped in to Thornham to try to find the twite flock. Saw a flock of birds of the right size and shape take off from the saltmarsh just as I was arriving. They headed off and didn't come back. Of course they may have been linnets, but deep down I'm pretty sure that I missed the twite by a matter of minutes.
And then, shortly before sunset, a hen harrier drifted slowly overhead, giving cracking views. The number of times I've gone looking for them...

Yesterday was a good example of the highs and lows of birding. Dropped in to Thornham to try to find the twite flock. Saw a flock of birds of the right size and shape take off from the saltmarsh just as I was arriving. They headed off and didn't come back. Of course they may have been linnets, but deep down I'm pretty sure that I missed the twite by a matter of minutes.
And then, shortly before sunset, a hen harrier drifted slowly overhead, giving cracking views. The number of times I've gone looking for them...

That's exactly where I saw the flock of Twite in my earlier post. That's why I couldn't tick them off: the weather was so bad and my glasses and bins so covered in rainwater that all I saw was a flock of Linnet-like birds fly past and I couldn't see anything diagnostic. Our guide had a clearer view and confirmed them as Twite, but we lost sight of them. We returned later in the afternoon when the weather was slightly better but we couldn't find them again.

My second lifer of the weekend, with a Barred Warbler really rather out of place this morning eating apples at Portland Bird Observatory.

Attachments

• IMG_4321 (2).jpg
    IMG_4321 (2).jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4317 (2).jpg
    IMG_4317 (2).jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 44
A lot of birds are lifers for me as I haven't been into this for very long! But some of my most recent ones include dusky woodswallow, red-rumped parrot, rufous fantail, golden whistler and a white-fronted chat :)

Four Twite this morning at Brean Down in Somerset. Sadly the Jack Snipe and Lapland Bunting seen the day before didn't put in an appearance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back