• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bad Bird Finder Looking for Location (1 Viewer)

TheBirdGarden

I don't have the money
Okay I am going to get it out of my system and say it.

I'm really bad for finding places to go for some birdwatching. Most of my pictures are either from my garden Roath Park lake or forest farm (great place) but I need more places and attempting to do this has failed miserably.

I have travelled to the Newport wetlands twice and found nothing twice I have also been to Parc Slip a great place for insects but not birds. I am planning a trip to Flat Holm but I want to know places more quiet and somewhere I can't hear the traffic wherever I go.

I'm situated in Cardiff, South Glamorgan I'm guessing its the same as East Glamorgan so any suggestions? please :p

I can only help you with the GOS website, which may be a bit out of your area - but you probably already know that one.

Have you got a car - can you get HERE. It's a great place.

D

Hey delia what was meant to be on that map, I got the location which just seemed to be pointed to a patch of white, You have to tell me as I am absolutely terrible at maps ;)

How strange... do you mean the map was completely blank? Or that the arrow was on a blank bit? LOL

I'd put it in the general area, there's a red dotted line marking a footpath along the river.

D

Thats a big footpath, This isn't right delia you know more about Wales than I do, I'd like to see some birds of prey....open land maybe...others you can help if you want

Thats a big footpath, This isn't right delia you know more about Wales than I do,

LOL just that bit of Wales maybe:-O

I'd like to see some birds of prey....open land maybe...others you can help if you want

Well there's definitely raptors there... can't remember what now though.

Loads of rarities have been found there and you may even see a Cormorant sitting on a power line!

D

Hi.To see Birds of prey you really need to get up into the valleys and hills North of Cardiff.Here you will find all of the British raptors (except for Eagles of course) in thier various habitats.My advice would be to join the Glamorgan Bird Club.I am sure they will be more than helpful to new members.
Below is a link to their sightings page.
You can always go along to the Town Hall clock tower in Cardiff City Centre to watch the Peregrines to get you started ;).

http://users2.smartgb.com/g/g.php?a=s&i=g25-52890-ac

Hi.To see Birds of prey you really need to get up into the valleys and hills North of Cardiff.Here you will find all of the British raptors (except for Eagles of course) in thier various habitats.My advice would be to join the Glamorgan Bird Club.I am sure they will be more than helpful to new members.
Below is a link to their sightings page.
You can always go along to the Town Hall clock tower in Cardiff City Centre to watch the Peregrines to get you started ;).

http://users2.smartgb.com/g/g.php?a=s&i=g25-52890-ac

Yeah I drive past the clocktower every week but I keep thinking I would look a bit weird if I just wander there with my setup in front of the public. Thank you for the link its been bookmarked.

Ebbw I'm guessing is Ebbw vale? what's your favourite place to visit? :)

Yeah I drive past the clocktower every week but I keep thinking I would look a bit weird if I just wander there with my setup in front of the public. Thank you for the link its been bookmarked.

Ebbw I'm guessing is Ebbw vale? what's your favourite place to visit? :)

Yes it is Ebbw Vale.
One of my fave places to visit,especially in Summer,is the Craig Y Cilau Nature Reserve about four miles North of Ebbw Vale.
This is the link to an article I wrote for the Opus Encyclopaedia on here.

http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Craig_Y_Cilau_NNR

Hi
Your surrounded by places to go to see all sorts of nature as am I, but everytime I want to go out my mind goes blank. I live in Bridgend.
The places I regularly go to are Parc Slip as you already mentioned, and yes there are lots of insects but you could probably see 30 species there each visit. There was a Little Ringed Plover there yesterday, there was a Water Rail there a few weeks back so they do have a few specials.
I checked your gallery and see you digiscope, is this what your looking to do or just birding in general.
You have Llanilid close by, Kenfig Pool, Margam Park, you have the Ogmore,Garw and Maesteg Valleys too which will all give you raptors.
I regularly travel to the Forest Of Dean which is amazing for all sorts of nature as is the Breacon Beacons.
One last suggestion is Llandovery where there is a Red Kite feeding station where most people stay for 15 minutes to watch the fed then go. Then you have the place to youself where the birds stay for an hour and thats true solitude.
Hope thats helped,
Ian

Thanks for all the suggestions I will look em all up, Yeah it would be for digiscoping I can't function without it.

Such lovely welsh names will keep me busy remembering them.

Hi,
Here's a few from Parc Slip today. Both were sitting up for easy digiscope shots ( i know because I have done it ) and there was plenty more species to be had.
I then went to Margam and put out some seed on a tree stump only to be accompanied by a Robin helping me from 12 inches away. There was lots to be had there, Heron, Mandarin, Nuthatch and a Jay showing well. If you want any more hints drop me a PM.
Cheers
Ian

Attachments

• Reed Bunting.JPG
    Reed Bunting.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Reed Warbler.JPG
    Reed Warbler.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 169
Hi , Since you were kind enough to pass comment on My Birkdale Garden I'm going to suggest you buy a book called "Where to watch birds in Wales" . It's available from numerous places (Amazon have copies for sale from as little as £1.25) though they're probably older prints of it . I daresay it's been updated and will be available from your local bookshop ( or even photography shop ) . Go for it !

Thanks Ian for all your help and the suggestions.

Colg thanks for the info on that book. I will look at it but I had to laugh when you asked about a local bookshop....In Cardiff there is about two bookshops that stock new books one being Waterstones, the others have all closed down I have to say we have gone quite illiterate.

I will look where I can for it.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back