• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Uist Spaceport (1 Viewer)

Nooie

Hello all, sorry for asking for help, but it's something important ( I asked permission to post here).

We have an unspoilt area on the North West of North Uist. It's the closest point to the St Kilda archipelago. Our local council has bought land for £1000,000 without consulting the local community and plan to stick a spaceport on it.

Rockets will be 26m high and 2m wide carrying over 40 tonnes of Hydrogen peroxide and kerosene. The area is in an NSA and has lots of wildlife from eagles to otters.

During phase one of the development, they are hoping to launch 6m sounding rockets, but phase two (which they don't want to Talk about) will launch 26m rockets. There is a group trying to stop this development and hoping the land could be used in a more traditional farming (possibly educational) or eco way. I don't know if many here have been to Scolpaig on Griminish Point, but any help would be great! Please sign the petition or even better write a letter of objection.

https://www.friendsofscolpaig.org/how-to-object

Thank you!

I know this area well. The coast leading up to Castell Odair is spectacular and backed by moorlands with characteristic assemblages of flowers, mosses, lichens, fungi, insects and birds. In nearby coastal areas we have seen otters and seals so are confident this coast is also used by these species. From this coast we have seen Great Skua, Arctic Skua and Manx Shearwater.

We have sent a strong protest against this development.

Many thanks for posting

Troubador and Troubadoris

[B]PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOU SEND AN E-MAIL TO PROTEST ABOUT THIS MADNESS IT MUST HAVE YOUR FULL POSTAL ADDRESS ON IT TO BE ACCEPTED AS A VALID PROTEST[/B]

Last edited:
Totally idiotic. Spaceports need to be as close to the Equator as possible, to gain maximum orbital speed from the rotation of the Earth. That's why the US has theirs in southern Florida (28*N), and the EU in French Guiana (5*N). Having a spaceport at nearly 58*N is the height of lunacy.

A complete Govt. Own Goal from the lunatic brexit dogma of having nothing to do with EU. Remain in EU, and we go on using the better port in French Guiana.

I know this area well. The coast leading up to Castell Odair is spectacular and backed by moorlands with characteristic assemblages of flowers, mosses, lichens, fungi, insects and birds. In nearby coastal areas we have seen otters and seals so are confident this coast is also used by these species. From this coast we have seen Great Skua, Arctic Skua and Manx Shearwater.

We have sent a strong protest against this development.

Many thanks for posting

Troubador and Troubadoris

Thank you Troubaror and Troubadoris!

Was on North Uists earlier this year, what the hell are the council thinking, a beautiful unspoilt area. let's hope this stupidity can be stopped

Was on North Uists earlier this year, what the hell are the council thinking, a beautiful unspoilt area. let's hope this stupidity can be stopped

Agree, blaming it on Brexit is about the stupidest thing I've heard, 'give yer ead a wobble' Nutty...........

Seriously, how do plans such as these, even get off the ground ;)

Give it a week or two and Trump will probably apply for planning permission to build one on his Aberdeen golf course :eek!:

Lee

There is a lot of money floating around for a UK spaceport and various candidate sites trying to get there pound of flesh. The Uist site is behind the other Scottish candidates in development and I don't really see it going anywhere.

Totally idiotic. Spaceports need to be as close to the Equator as possible

No they don't if you want a polar orbit. A good explanation here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkCTA7-t1xc

Stoopid vanity project with local representation being, literally, bulldozed over - it is plainly, obviously, out of kilter - after all it’s not Rocket Science.....

Laurie:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back