• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Austen's Brown Hornbill (1 Viewer)

Alan Manson

KwaZulu-Natal birder
Opus Editor
Assam Hornbill

Discussion thread for Assam Hornbill. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.
---------------------------
Sibley & Monroe 1996: Austen's Brown Hornbill
Clements 6th ed. (2007): Brown Hornbill

H&M: Split from Anorrhinus tickelli not recognised

Handbook of the Birds of the World (1992-2006): Austen's Brown Hornbill
IOC World Bird List (Version 1.6): Austen's Brown Hornbill

Opus: Assam Hornbill (Source???)

Move to Austen's Brown Hornbill??

Last edited:
It does go against our usual recommendation (I think), but I think the best way is what you propose: to go with Austin's and Tickell's for the two species in question. Even though Assam is not from one of our usual sources, I would still copy it to the text under the heading of Alternative names.

I would also prefer to have a Disambiguation page for Brown Hornbill, where one mentions the fact that H&M has not publicly accepted the split, and with link to each of the two species pages.

Niels

It does go against our usual recommendation (I think), but I think the best way is what you propose: to go with Austin's and Tickell's for the two species in question. Even though Assam is not from one of our usual sources, I would still copy it to the text under the heading of Alternative names.

I would also prefer to have a Disambiguation page for Brown Hornbill, where one mentions the fact that H&M has not publicly accepted the split, and with link to each of the two species pages.

Niels

The same way we do with Rufous-sided Towhee.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back