• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Birder, New Venue & New scope! Northumberland. (1 Viewer)

Quacker

Was truly desperate to try out my new scope on Saturday, but a combination of working until 2pm and the bad weather put me off. Today, I headed to Hauxley in Northumberland, and for the first time East Chevington, more to test out my scope really.

I took advantage of Warehouse Express's sale where they are selling reduced-priced Nikon ED78's (I also chose a 25-75x zoom eyepiece and Slik tripod for those interested in the gear).

Those good people of Northumberland will be well aware of Hauxley and East Chevington already, but for anyone else, they are just before the town of Amble, up the Northumberland Coast, approx 30m of Newcastle. The main object was to try my new scope for the first time, but I achieved 5 lifers. OK it's only 133 total, but we all had to start somewhere right? - Hauxley produced a small flock (20ish) of Bar Tailed Godwit which was a new one for me, while the main hide gave me ample opportunity to use the scope on Ringed Plover to differentiate from the Little Ringed (I did say I was a novice). The scope also helped me provide positive i.d. for the Godwits by clearly showing the slightly upward-curving bill.

A short drive away was E Chevington, which produced four more for this novice. Both Sandwich Tern and Roseate Tern, as well as Little Gull and Knot. Thanks to the guy at at E Chevington (never got his name) who patiently and accurately explained the differences between the terns, and of course my scope at the higher powers were clearly able to notice these differences, when my trusty 8x42's could not.

In short, you can probably deduce, I am delighted with my new scope, delighted with my new-found location, and especially delighted (yet again) with the help and patience shown by fellow birders to a newcomer handing down what should become sound advice for life. Apologies if this report sounds "gushing" - but I'm sure you were all there once and can understand my delight;-)

Full list (in no particular order)

Hauxley

Heron
Greylag Goose
Redshank
Common Tern
Tufted Duck
Shelduck
Ringed Plover
Lapwing
Canada Goose
Oystercatcher
Pochard
Cormorant
Magpie
Bartail Godwit

East Chevington

Reed Bunting
Skylark
Meadow Pipit
Linnet
Pied Wagtail
Black Headed Gull (inc. Leucistic)
Lesser Black Backed Gull
Little Gull
Dunlin
Mute Swan
Sandwich Tern
Roseate Tern
Common Tern
Knot
Cormorant
Great Crested Grebe
Canada Goose
Lapwing
Kestrel

Having read elsewhere on this section of the forum, I will have to have a look to the south of our region as that looks quite promising too!

Thanks for reading!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back