• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field guide for whole indonesia (2 Viewers)

oleic

Hi

I will move to indonesia for 3 years on april.
I have not found a field guide or a book that have all 1600 indonesian species.

Is there one?
Should i get one for south east asia and other for oceania!

Help apprecited

Oleic

Hi

I will move to indonesia for 3 years on april.
I have not found a field guide or a book that have all 1600 indonesian species.

Is there one?

No. Indonesia is probably the single major area of the world with the spottiest field guide coverage. The closest to a guide for the country is Morten Strange's "A Photographic Guide to the Birds of Indonesia: Second Edition" (be sure to get the second printing which has corrections/additions). It covers 912 species.

There are more restricted guides that cover parts of Indonesia--Sumatra/Java/Bali/Borneo (but this is old--1993), Borneo, New Guinea, Wallacea. But the Wallacea guide is out of print, hard to obtain, and now exorbitantly expensive; it is not expected to be reprinted. So Wallacea is probably the weakest link.

My hope is that the photographic guide will eventually be expanded to include all Indonesian species, or at least all endemics. But that is just a hope at this point.

One of Robson's Southeast Asia guides will cover many of the non-endemics found in Sumatra/Java, and is more recent than the guide referenced above.

Last edited:
As Jim says, not a lot out there. There will be a field guide covering Greater Sundas and Wallacea (the Indonesian archipelago) that would hopefully be published towards the end of 2015 though...

James

As Jim says, not a lot out there. There will be a field guide covering Greater Sundas and Wallacea (the Indonesian archipelago) that would hopefully be published towards the end of 2015 though...

James

How certain is the date James? Is now the time to sell my mint, never been used, copy of Bishop ?

cheers, alan

There will be a field guide covering Greater Sundas and Wallacea (the Indonesian archipelago) that would hopefully be published towards the end of 2015 though...

James

That's great to "hear". Though I don't like the sound of "hopefully be published". ;) Any more details? Are you a contributor?

With that on mind, I think that the printable check lists from HBW alive are very valuable.
Im Not saying they replace a field guide, but at least you have a document with all birds on it.
Although for indonesia the printable check lists are divided in 4 regions........

thanks

Last edited:
With that on mind, I think that the printable check lists from HNW alive are very valuable.
Im Not saying they replace a field guide, but at least you have a document with all birds on it.
Although for indonesia the printable check lists are divided in 4 regions........

thanks

FYI: The photographic guide I mentioned includes a comprehensive checklist of all the birds of Indonesia, with info on distribution. That guide follows recent Clements taxonomy/nomenclature.

Last edited:
From I what I see from the cover on Lynx, this is going to use HBW Artwork - I wonder if James or anyone else can advise whether there are any new images, eg for new taxa, splits and so on. I would have preferred some of the other species, eg seabirds, to be repainted.

I've got no doubt that the text is going to be comprehensive - fingers crossed it covers all of those currently obscure taxa in the Banda sea!

cheers, alan

From I what I see from the cover on Lynx, this is going to use HBW Artwork - I wonder if James or anyone else can advise whether there are any new images, eg for new taxa, splits and so on. I would have preferred some of the other species, eg seabirds, to be repainted.
Alan, when Lynx announced the forthcoming publication of Birds of the Indonesian Archipelago and Birds of New Guinea, I too assumed that they heralded a series of field guides that would rely entirely on recycling the existing (often rather limited) HBW artwork.

So it was good to read in the latest HBW Alive Newsletter (Birds Alive No19, Jan 2016) that additional new artwork is being produced for the field guides (and is being incorporated into HBW Alive)...
New illustrations from the field guide Birds of New Guinea, including Bismarck Archipelago and Bougainville incorporated into HBW Alive

As we announced in the last newsletter, one of HBW Alive’s main goals is to become a useful source of illustrations of all the bird species of the world, with male and female plumages, and also plumages of adult non-breeding, juvenile and flying birds. Last December we incorporated more than 300 new illustrations from our forthcoming guide Birds of New Guinea, including Bismarck Archipelago and Bougainville.

There are new illustrations of subspecies that we did not have in the HBW series, like the saturatior subspecies of Brown Quail (Synoicus ypsilophorus), as well as of raptors flying like Imitator Goshawk (Accipiter imitator) and Sanford's Sea-eagle (Haliaeetus sanfordi). Other novelties include adult non-breeding plumages of several shorebirds and seabirds, like Great Knot (Calidris tenuirostris) and Black-headed Gull (Larus ridibundus), and new juvenile illustrations of several species, like Lesser Frigatebird (Fregata ariel) and Comb-crested Jacana (Irediparra gallinacea). ...

Our artists are working on more than 300 new illustrations for our forthcoming guide Birds of the Indonesian Archipelago. As soon as they have finished their work, we will incorporate the new material into HBW Alive as well.

Last edited:
Alan,

Hundreds of new illustrations have been produced, including raptors, seabirds, shorebirds etc and look great. All obscure, distinct taxa will also be illustrated, along with all the new, dodgy splits.

Cheers,

James

Hundreds of new illustrations have been produced, including raptors, seabirds, shorebirds etc and look great. All obscure, distinct taxa will also be illustrated, along with all the new, dodgy splits.
James, does the field guide exactly follow current HBW passerine taxonomy, or will it give us a preview of any of the taxonomic revisions to be adopted in HBW/BirdLife Illustrated Checklist vol 2 (Dec 2016)...? ;)

Alan,

Cheers,

James

James,

Many thanks - sounds great. I'll be getting 2 copies.

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back