• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gorilla Family & Me (1 Viewer)

Thanks Euan... got that set to record.

Gordon's always value for money, isn't he.

Thanks Euan :t: Haven't seen any Christmas tv magazines yet (despite working in a newsagents!!!) so will go through tomorrow's paper with my highlighter ;)

Have set this to record on the Sky box :t:

I enjoy listening to Gordon, and he is always at one with his subject at all times.

Gordon took a lot of risks participating this film, and bless his cotton socks for the 'risks' he took for us the viewer so we could see the precarious life of a Gorilla family

A sad look at wildlife when two siblings fall out with one another (brothers in this case) and all the mayhem that it causes the more stable group of grollias - to the point that a lot of fights occur, and it makes things for so much insecruity to the future of the 'stable' group for their own future family needs

An real eye opener if anything else has to be said :t:

Last edited:
A sad look at wildlife when two siblings fall out with one another (brothers in this case) and all the mayhem that it causes the more stable group of grollias - to the point that a lot of fights occur, and it makes things for so much insecruity to the future of the 'stable' group for their own future family needs

Umm. Do you not think it actually gives the lie to the many people who imagine that gorillas are uniformly peace-loving animals living some sort of vegetarian utopian existence? Instead they are revealed as thinking social beasts that have exactly the same sort of motivations, emotions and struggles as other apes including man (for that matter all animals with complex societies). And that it points up the necessity for that conflict and change in order to avoid inbreeding?

Nothing sad about it Kathy. It's life. The only sadness in the programmes is to do with poaching and human encroachment due to uncontrolled breeding.

John

Umm. Do you not think it actually gives the lie to the many people who imagine that gorillas are uniformly peace-loving animals living some sort of vegetarian utopian existence? Instead they are revealed as thinking social beasts that have exactly the same sort of motivations, emotions and struggles as other apes including man (for that matter all animals with complex societies). And that it points up the necessity for that conflict and change in order to avoid inbreeding?

Nothing sad about it Kathy. It's life. The only sadness in the programmes is to do with poaching and human encroachment due to uncontrolled breeding.

John

Unfortunatily, I think I brought in the feelings of a human being, and that was wrong of me to say or even think that - yes, gorillas are very sociable and intelligent. They are strong and survivors to the core. They know what is right and wrong for them and they are to be admired for that alone.

The hunting problem is a bad thing, and it is so unecessary to kill any animal for no particular reason other than trophies in some cases is very wrong indeed.

There seemed to be a lot of Gorillia programmes on at Christmas John Bishop had a programme on them which I totally forgot about.

The most annoying of all filmmakers. Why does this guy insist on filming himself rather than his subjects. Twenty minutes was enough!
I think the title of the films set the scene completely: "Gorilla Family & Me".
It was not just another programme about gorillas but one about the interaction between the gorillas and Gordon Buchanan and, as such, the shots of himself with the gorillas and others where he described his feelings and emotions were all part of the story which I, for one, enjoyed.
Martin

There seemed to be a lot of Gorillia programmes on at Christmas John Bishop had a programme on them which I totally forgot about.

I'm sure that was worth avoiding. Another so called celebrity or unfunny comedian interacting with wildlife. It's all about them not the subject. ' Oohh look at me and a wild animal'! Let's stick with the experts like Gordon, guys in the know and who also know how make a decent wildlife programme.

Si.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back