• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Citrine Wagtail ,Northern Greece (1 Viewer)

ody

Could it be a juv. Citrine Wagtail?

Attachments

• citrine (1).jpg
    citrine (1).jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 142
  • citrine (2).jpg
    citrine (2).jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 111
  • citrine (3).jpg
    citrine (3).jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 92
  • citrine (4).jpg
    citrine (4).jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 79
To my eyes first impression was too Brown on the coverts and it seems long-legged like the Black-headed adjacent. I don’t know the biometrics but BHW always strikes me as being slightly longer in proportions giving the impression of a sleek bird - just my thoughts on the few i have seen:t:

Laurie -

First I thought it was a White Wagtail.
Can we rule it out?

On a second look, my impression is of a very leggy bird, not something I associate with White Wagtail. Also 1cy White should have a pale yellow wash on the face. Again, I can't see any hint of this.

It looks virtually monochrome, with white undertail coverts, very bold wing bars and what looks in pic #2 like a complete pale surround to the ear coverts. All features I associate with Citrine rather than Yellow.

However, the face pattern isn't quite what I'd expect for a typical Citrine, with the apparently dark loral area (difficult to properly assess this from the attached photos), so perhaps on reflection I would be cautious and call it probable Citrine...

Last edited:
It’s a good citrine! The long legged impression is actually a good pointer and the plumage (head pattern, wing bars, etc) fits.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back