• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need quick advice re: baby blackbird (1 Viewer)

neenyneen

Hi All

My neighbor has just cut down some trees in his back garden and has stacked them up at the side of his house. I have seen a blackbird flying over to these chopped down trees several times today and on watching it i have noticed that there is a baby in a nest, the mum is still going there to feed it but the sun is blazing down on top of it, is there anything i can do or wil it be ok?Im going toas my neighbor not to dispose of the chopped down trees until the baby bird has fledged - does anyone know how long this will take?

Thanks

Janina

thankyou!

ihave since spoken to my neighbor and he has told me that he actually found the babies on the floor, so he popped them back in the nest. ihave just checked on them now and they are still alive, but have no feathers and i haven't seen the mother in a while, is it typical that she would come back to keep them wam, or do they not sit on their young as say chickens would?

The mother would indeed be sitting on them quite a lot of the time in the early days with the male providing most of the food. Gradually, both parents share feeding duties but the female should be sitting on them overnight. Whether this will happen with the nest now in a different place I couldn't say!

it was too dark last night to se if there was a parent there and didn't want to shine the torch or goover to check just in case i scared them off if they was there, i have had a look this morning and the babies are still breathing, but no sign of mum and dad. can blackbird babies be reared by humans and would the rspca pick them upif they have been abandoned? im gonna keep my eye on them all day today just tomake sure the parents are coming back - advices re hand rearing if thatswhat it comes to ould be much appreciated! Thanks

I'd spend the entire morning watching to see if the parents are still feeding them. They would be very reluctant to abandon them at this stage but it could be that Mrs. Blackbird wasn't keen on brooding them overnight in a place she didn't choose. The RSPCA and Wildlife Rescue Centres will be inundated at this time of year but if you Google Wildlife Rescue Centre + (the area you live in), at the very least I'm sure you will be given sound advice.

the mum has been sat on them all morning and dad keeps bringing food, i'll keep checking throughout the day - just worried as we have lots of cats about, thankyou very much fr your help and i'll update this thread again IF (hope not) they are abandoned or succesfully fledged x

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back