• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small bird from Thailand (1 Viewer)

Werzik

Someone was asking for ID of this little bird and I was stumbled; not really sure what it is from this only angle.
So I decided to post here, hoping people with greater knowledge can help us!

Many thanks.

Attachments

• p85pky2zcvHLHPLWxBa-o.jpg
    p85pky2zcvHLHPLWxBa-o.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 79
  • p85niim6ig8lcK6J8JJ-o.jpg
    p85niim6ig8lcK6J8JJ-o.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 71
Nice puzzle. I might not have all the alternative birds available to me in books, but colors and bill seem to point at Green-tailed Sunbird. If that is true, then the tail is short because of moulting. Not sure whether tails moult so nicely as to look like regular short tails.
Thanks, Arend

Andy, thank you for the comment. That was my first impression from the overall appearance too. Like you said it should have pale eyes. Also bill shape seems too thin?

Arend, that does make sense! I think the bill shape fits Nectariniidae spp. the most but I was confused by the tail. If your assumption that it's moulting in this way were true, I think this could be Green-tailed Sunbird. Thanks!

Where was it taken? Green-tailed is quite restricted in range.

Hi robby, unfortunately the man who asked didn't address where he took the photo, I'll update the location later when he reply back. Agree that GtS is very restricted, probably only found in Chiang Mai.

Andy, how about juv. Hooded Oriole? Is the bill too slim for this species?

Hi robby, unfortunately the man who asked didn't address where he took the photo, I'll update the location later when he reply back. Agree that GtS is very restricted, probably only found in Chiang Mai.

Andy, how about juv. Hooded Oriole? Is the bill too slim for this species?

The wrong colour also, plus the hood is not extensive enough below the neck.

I'm sticking with the Bulbul

A

Given how common they are, I think Olive-backed Sunbird sounds very sensible indeed. This angle is quite tricky to tell but it shouldn't be something that is too bizarre. Thank you everyone!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back