• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D MkIII .... (1 Viewer)

Canon may be deliberately putting greater effort into lens innovations than on improving the body electronics and sensors. Canon leads in lenses, which also have a much longer market life, while Canon is only a bit player in camera electronics and cannot hope to lead the pack there.
So it seems unlikely that there will be some huge jump with the 7D MkIII, because as long as Canon is not totally off the pace for their bodies, the lenses will carry them.
The risk to Canon in this interpretation is not the challenge from Sony, but rather that China may become a quality lens supplier.

Perhaps they are giving themselves time to perfect a suitably advanced offering , since it appears the 7D MkIII won't make an appearance at CP+ now ....

Last rumours had it at 28MP, so hopefully Samsung NX-1 based?, and with quite ordinary video specs - so mostly a high speed APS-C stills specific camera.

Canon rumours now suggests Q4 2018 as the earliest time frame http://www.canonrumors.com/were-not-convinced-an-eos-7d-mark-iii-is-coming-in-2018/

Canon has been virtually AWOL in this segment (well relatively!) since the arrival of the Nikon D500 .... Nikon is only a few lenses (lightweight 300 f2.8, and 400, and 600 f4 PF) away from winning plenty of converts ..... (well apart from those that haven't jumped ship already! :)

Chosun :gh:

Could this 32MP APS-C in the development pipeline for 2019 finally be the 7D MkIII ...... ???
With the Fujifilm XT-3 also now on the scene, a successor to the Nikon D500 possible, and nobody as yet topping the 4 year old 28MP Samsung NX-1, will Canon - finally ....... finally, give us the clearly class leading 7D we want and deserve !?! :cat:
https://www.canonrumors.com/breaking-down-the-latest-canon-gear-to-appear-for-certification/

To maintain the essential high speed 10fps, Canon would have to throw their best new processing architecture at it (also suitable for a IDX MkIII ) , whilst finding some Nikon rivaling DR too ..... but gawd knows - they need it ! :eek!:

Debuting a new 7D in 2019, along with the recently announced lightweight 600 f4L IS III, and we could hope a 600 f4 DO too, along with a prosumer 200-600 f5.6 (L?) , might, just, might ..... keep the big bad Nikon wolf from the door :cat:

It seems fairly certain that Canon will one day adopt the R mount for a mirrorless APS-C to cater to high speed wildlife shooters using EF supertelephotos and/or whatever native R long lenses Canon comes up with. Canon being Canon, the existing EF-M mount for mirrorless APS-C will probably continue as well to cover the more compact entry level ranges.

The question is will the next 7DMkIII be a DSLR or Mirrorless, and when the bl**dy hell will it get here ?! Already the only thing really keeping it competitive with Nikon's D500 is the lenses, especially with the new MkIII's coming along.

https://www.canonrumors.com/is-there-an-eos-r-series-camera-with-an-aps-c-sensor-coming-cr1/

Rumour Roundup .... !

With the 7D introduced in 2009, and the 7D MkII arriving 5 years later in 2014, the rumours in this thread's OP had the 7D MkIII being announced in March/April and launching in August ~ 4 years after the MkII.

Even then, the 7DII would have been having it's *rs* roundly kicked by the Nikon D500 for 2&1/2 years ! :eek!:

Then we were told the 7DIII would arrive in Q4 this year, and then not in 2018 at all. So that makes 3 years + and counting that the D500 will have been able to just run amok unchallenged. Even the DR of the MFT Olympus OM-D EM-1 MkII has been smoking the Canon for nearly 2 years and its resolution is equivalent to a 31MP APS-C (Canon) !! :eek!::eek!:

What the Holy Hector is Canon thinking !!! :brains: :h?: :storm:

There has even been speculation that the next 7DIII would be Mirrorless ...... however the less than stellar tracking AF of Canon's EOS R debutant (and indeed even it's Nikon Z7 cohort) casts a significant shadow over that notion. This following rumour seems to bury it ! https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...eos-r-series-bodies-coming-in-2019-cr2.36135/

Not only that, but the half a dozen year gestation period for the Canon 600 f4 DO now seems to be looking like debuting in Mirrorless 'R' mount .......

So much for my dream lightweight kit of 28MP 7DIII + 600 f4 DO ....... GRRRRR !!!

So it looks like the next 7D MkIII will still be a DSLR ...... the question is when ?!?

Canon typically hold their cards close to their chest, but at the moment we have ............. *crickets*

The only sound you can hear is the Nikon D500 Cash Register ringing up overtime !!! $$$

Jumping on this thread late, but I truly think Canon can get away with a 7D III that has a mish-mash of the technologies that they have included in 6D/5D/1D iterations in between the 7D II and this version.

Any huge technological advances will be left for 2020 and the 1D X III (Olympics year = New Flagship).

We have to be realistic where the 7D actually sits in the line-up, and it is flagship APS-C technology. Has a whole full-frame, and now full-frame mirrorless line-up ahead of it in terms of 'prestige'.

But, this also means that the tech that does trickle down will be exceptional in a camera of this stature.

Certainly inheriting the 1DX II AF performance at least (by then it'll be a 3 year old camera), would still be a boon - especially with the f/8 multiple focus points thing that I believe the 7D II cannot do. There's also 4K, Dual-Pixel AF and touch screen tech to chuck in there too. A new APS-C sensor is probably due too.

So the 7D III will be just fine.

The 5D4 has much of the 1DX2's technology but in terms of AF acquisition it isn't nearly as good. Canon will deliver only what they think they need to do to keep abreast of competition. You are not going to get a £5k camera for £1.6k, it's not good marketing practice. They need to keep getting people to upgrade or production dries up. It was interesting how the 5D3 was able to perform new tricks once the firmware was updated.In other words, unblocked.That was only because competition demanded it was.
I would imagine that mirrorless is where Canon will want to start concentrating next.
In the meantime, I'm playing with what is available and don't really think about what's coming next .

.....Any huge technolCanon's advances will be left for 2020 and the 1D X III (Olympics year = New Flagship).

We have to be realistic where the 7D actually sits in the line-up, and it is flagship APS-C technology. Has a whole full-frame, and now full-frame mirrorless line-up ahead of it in terms of 'prestige'.

But, this also means that the tech that does trickle down will be exceptional in a camera of this stature.

Certainly inheriting the 1DX II AF performance at least (by then it'll be a 3 year old camera), would still be a boon - especially with the f/8 multiple focus points thing that I believe the 7D II cannot do. There's also 4K, Dual-Pixel AF and touch screen tech to chuck in there too. A new APS-C sensor is probably due too....

....Canon will deliver only what they think they need to do to keep abreast of competition....
The 2020 1DX MkIII will definitely be the flagship (going head to head with Nikon's D6, and probably a Sony a9m2 as well), but it's been 3-odd years now that the Nikon D500 has had it all over Canon's 7D II ....

Canon should take a leaf out of Nikon's book and have it's 'pro' APS-C on a pretty much even AF footing as the pro FF DSLR flagship. There are always other differences between pro APS-C and pro FF that sufficiently differentiate them (extra fps of the FF, better high ISO performance, full sensor 4K 60fps video vs cropped), but by and large they are both their respective 'flagships'. In terms of AF, Nikon's pecking order goes D5, D500, D850, everything else.

Obviously Mirrorless is the future (especially where video centric models play), but there are no super AF models on the near horizon for CaNikon - that will be left to the DSLR flagships (FF and APS-C). What we will see though, perhaps toward the end of 2019? or after the Olympics is high resolution (60-75MP) Mirrorless offerings. If they manage to match the Nikon D850 in AF performance they will be going well.

Canon needs to come out with a killer DSLR 7D III. It is possible they could do this in 2019 as a lead in to the IDX III arriving at the start of 2020.

That's my take on things anyway ....

You say this, but the 7D mkII is still a damn good camera which does more-or-less what I want. Of course it can be improved but I'd rather be out in the field than navel gazing wondering what Canon might do next.

Rob

You say this, but the 7D mkII is still a damn good camera which does more-or-less what I want. Of course it can be improved but I'd rather be out in the field than navel gazing wondering what Canon might do next.

Rob
I know the 7D MkII well. No doubt it's a really good camera that does a pretty good job - it's just that the number of cameras that do a better job is growing. It's getting on for 4&1/2 years old now and is due for replacement.

Since the Nikon D500 landed 3 years ago, the 7DII hasn't been in the running as a body - it's only the glass that keeps it afloat. I even prefer my Nikon D7200 to the Canon offering (a few fps notwithstanding). Add to that, the Fujifilm XT-3 released late last year, and even the Olympus OM-D EM-1 MkII is a competitor. The 7DII is simply not competitive with these latest sensors for DR. It could seriously use some Stacked BSI goodliness.

It also lacks 4K video capability (not that it is important for all users - but it is what the competition is offering). It's AF performance has been surpassed by the Nikon D500 from the moment it was launched, and arguably the Fujifilm and Olympus do a better job too. Even, overall, the now obsolete ~4 year old Samsung NX-1.

Canon is like the kid in class that scrapes by with a 53% pass mark - it is far from class leading, it's an also ran. I can't imagine they're selling very many at this point in time. Where's the compelling argument to 'buy now'? If folk want to argue that a stop or two of DR throughout the ISO range is of no consequence, then you might as well shoot a Sony RX-10 IV ...... no?

I'm kind of holding off on a major upgrade at the moment, and it's only natural that one company puts a neck in front of others at any one cycle in time, and that this changes, and surges among them as time goes on, as each tries to take the lead. Add to that you have to consider the system as a whole - body + lenses, and different companies have strengths in different areas.

It will interesting to see who wants the PRO APS-C top dawg spot the most .......... I'm waiting ...... and falling sales volumes say that I'm not the only one ........

Since the Nikon D500 landed 3 years ago, the 7DII hasn't been in the running as a body - it's only the glass that keeps it afloat. I even prefer my Nikon D7200 to the Canon offering (a few fps notwithstanding). <snip> The 7DII is simply not competitive with these latest sensors for DR. It could seriously use some Stacked BSI goodliness. <snip>

It's AF performance has been surpassed by the Nikon D500 from the moment it was launched, and arguably the Fujifilm and Olympus do a better job too. Even, overall, the now obsolete ~4 year old Samsung NX-1.

Canon is like the kid in class that scrapes by with a 53% pass mark - it is far from class leading, it's an also ran. I can't imagine they're selling very many at this point in time. Where's the compelling argument to 'buy now'?

There's none. Unless you already own some *good* Canon glass and/or are used to the Canon UI and can't be bothered to switch. And both are pretty good reasons not so switch.

I'm kind of holding off on a major upgrade at the moment, and it's only natural that one company puts a neck in front of others at any one cycle in time, and that this changes, and surges among them as time goes on, as each tries to take the lead. Add to that you have to consider the system as a whole - body + lenses, and different companies have strengths in different areas.

Same here. I'm also waiting for new developments, especially now that the two big players seem to be getting serious about mirrorless cameras. I'm a Nikon guy, and if Nikon introduces a DX body with improved AF, I'll get it. If I were a Canon user I'd be waiting for the same type of body from Canon - provided Canon uses a sensor that's better than their current DX sensors.

Hermann

..... I'm kind of holding off on a major upgrade at the moment, ....... It will interesting to see who wants the PRO APS-C top dawg spot the most .......... I'm waiting ...... and falling sales volumes say that I'm not the only one ........
...... Same here. I'm also waiting for new developments, especially now that the two big players seem to be getting serious about mirrorless cameras. I'm a Nikon guy, and if Nikon introduces a DX body with improved AF, I'll get it. If I were a Canon user I'd be waiting for the same type of body from Canon - provided Canon uses a sensor that's better than their current DX sensors.
Hermann, based on the AF performance efforts of CaNikon's debut Mirrorless offerings, I don't think I'd hold my breath waiting for a 'PRO' level APS-C Mirrorless offering this year, or next. I predict both will use the large FF 'R', and 'Z' mounts, when they finally do surface, but I think there'll be a lot of models introduced before that.

In some ways I think Canon has (will have) the edge in the APS-C Mirrorless arena with what will be the choice of two different sized mounts - the smaller 'EOS-M' for the entry level/value products, and the 'R' for the PRO level which would allow use of high end native 'R' mount lenses designed for FF, along with just enough of a sniff of DX wideangles to keep the punters interested. Obviously there is no upgrade path between the two sized mounts or interchangeability of lenses - but I reckon that will suit Canon just fine. I think they'd be more than happy to have their entry level EOS-M customers fork out for an entirely new R mount system (whether APS-C or FF).

I think the big delay with PRO DX Mirrorless will be the AF performance. For this reason I think CaNikon will also steer clear of going head to head with the Sony a9 (or likely soon a9m2 in time for the Olympics) with an 'R9' and 'Z9' offering respectively .... I think we're looking at least at 2021+ for those high speed FF Mirrorless models. Instead I think CaNikon will go into battle with the Sony a9m2 with their big gun DSLR flagships - the pending Canon 1DX MkIII and the Nikon D6.

Perhaps sometime this year what we will see though are high resolution FF Mirrorless models of 60-75MP, likely called say the R8 and Z8 respectively. These may very well be replacements for the Canon 5DSR and the D850 respectively ..... perhaps we won't ever see those DSLR's upgraded again, or once more at most.

I like the ergonomic size of the Canon 7D/ Nikon D500 when paired with longer telephotos, so I am seriously seriously hoping that we see a Canon 7D MkIII and Nikon D500S this year. The Mirrorless AF baby steps, and both companies seemingly having no plans anytime remotely soon to offer their long telephotos in native Mirrorless mounts, indicate to me that DSLR will be the way they will go with their PRO level APS-C offerings.

The only caveat to this guesstimate is that the propeller heads and boffins in the backrooms may at this very point in time be nailing PRO APS-C Mirrorless performance, and be planning some surprise native Mirrorless long lens debuts - the 200-600 f5.6 in 'L' spec (as per the current 100-400 II), and the 600 f5.6 PF. If the body performance is a leap ahead of the current DSLR benchmark (the D500), and the ergonomics made sense, then I could get quite interested in that! :) Otherwise I'd be very happy with either a 7D MkIII or D500S --- the thing that will tip it will be what 600mm Diffractive Optics come out to suit ......

Either way I'm firmly waiting ......

An interesting rumour from Canon Rumours suggesting (the very un-Canon-like) rationalisation of their APS-C DSLR lines by combining somewhat the 80D and the 7DII to make the 7DIII. Presumably then they combine the old 77D and 80D into some sort of suceeding mid-range offering.
https://www.canonrumors.com/aps-c-dslr-lineup-to-get-a-shake-up-cr1/

This is interesting in the light of earlier 80D successor rumours predicting around ~30MP. It would quite the feat to have this accurately track at 10fps with a practically unlimited RAW buffer, needing a step up in processing power and latent information pipelines. Still with the flagship IDX III due for the Olympics, perhaps this computing architecture has already been nailed down and will be inherited by 'little brother' 7DIII ....... we can only hope :) ...... it might be half a chance of competing with Nikon's D500 (or likely D500S that will lob next year following the Big Kahuna D6).

In some ways this very un-Canon-like rationalisation actually makes sense to me as part of the long term transition to Mirrorless (whatever that eventually ends up looking like in APS-C form).

O'h if only my 80D tracked like my 7dmkii & had the frame rate,it would be perfect.
That'd be a good start wouldn't it - shouldn't be too out of this realm for the 80D or 7D II upgrade really, either way.

I'm really hoping that Canon aims much higher than this - it's been getting whoop-*ssed ever since the Nikon D500 was launched.

There was a time when Canon was not just merely content to plug every market niche known to man with 'perfunctory' product ..... there was a time when Canon wanted to be market leaders with flagship performance in various sensor sizes.

Hopefully the upcoming APS-C EOS 7D III and the FF EOS 1DX III are just such epochal milestones where Canon tries to take the top dawg crown :king:

Already any 7D III will have to match and surpass the Nikon D500 (and potential D500S too). Likewise the 1DX III will have to match not only the Nikon D5, but also the upcoming D6 and surpass that too.

What on earth will an even better performing D6 look like - who knows !? ..... higher resolution - 24MP, 28?, more? , downsampled 4K 60fps full video, state of the art processing, higher bit rate, higher resolution fully articulating screen, a higher resolution RGB sensor and even better AF. Better algorithims that track eyes etc. How fast can that mirror be made to flap? 16, 18, 20? fps. Obviously the processing and computing pathways /power /architecture will be fully capable of handling the load without restriction for practically unlimited RAW capability. Workflow and file transfer could take a huge leap forward in ease of use, efficiency, and speed. Could they retain the strength, durability, and weather sealing, while making the body lighter?

Much the same way that Nikon's D500 is virtually an APS-C version of the D5, Canon will have to fully enable the 7D III in the same way, rather than arbitrarily nobble various aspects of the APS-C to fit some imagined market niche and price point. They need to make the best 7D III they can to take the title. :king: This means not only 1DX II AF performance, but 1DX III as well.

I would suggest that the current 10fps, or maybe 12 would be plenty, and allow some further differentiation with the FF 1DX III flagship. What is critical is that it have 1DX III (ie. Nikon D6 /D500S beating) levels of AF performance, tracking, and hit rate, along with Nikon / competitor beating Dynamic Range, and noise performance sensors. Perhaps if Canon can't make the next generation of class leading stacked BSI-CMOS sensors it might be time for them to look further afield to ensure their flagships are market leading .... ?

Will Canon deliver ?

No, they won't. Pretty clear they've been going downhill just before the release of the 7DII, and the slide has continued.

James

Spot on James, as a regular at Premiership footy games I see that the vast majority of pro togs are using Canon gear and they all have "for sale" tags dangling on their kit bags.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back