• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x42 Ultravid advantages? Am over 60. (1 Viewer)

Yes, totally agree ... a 7x35 UVid would be the ultimate birding bino for me - smaller and lighter would be great ... and 5mm EP acceptable.

When I was young 60s-70s, 7x35 was the standard binocular that everybody carried. I got a leather covered Leitz Trinovid 7x35B around 1983 and used it till it wore out from hard use in the late 90s. I know my Ultravids and SE's are better optically, but as a complete package, those old Trinovids were hard to beat. How I wish Leica would come out with a new 7x35.

I wish anyone would come out with a quality 7x35. I love 7x but not the weight of 42mm objectives. A 7x35 with polycarbonate Zeiss FL-like body should do the trick. Lightweight but with 5mm exit pupil.

When I was young 60s-70s, 7x35 was the standard binocular that everybody carried. I got a leather covered Leitz Trinovid 7x35B around 1983 and used it till it wore out from hard use in the late 90s. I know my Ultravids and SE's are better optically, but as a complete package, those old Trinovids were hard to beat. How I wish Leica would come out with a new 7x35.

Hopefully Leica will begin supplying dealers with their new upgraded classic Trinovid...fingers and toes crossed.

I wish anyone would come out with a quality 7x35. I love 7x but not the weight of 42mm objectives.

Was Using two different 8x30 out back for some time comparing side x side. Then, ran in the house and grabbed my 7x42 UVHD+ to compare... wow, what a pig!!

Love the pig!

CG

For some time I've been weighing up the pros and cons of getting some 7x power binoculars and know the advantages in general: steadier image handheld than with 8x or 10x; more light-gathering power in the dark; wider field of vision for finding birds.

But I am over sixty - a pretty fit & steady-handed sixty I like to think, but all the same over sixty. Is the additional light gathering of Ultravid 7x42 HD Plus going to be negated by any deterioration in eye flexibility? Regarding the wide field, would I be better off with the Zeiss Victory 8x42 SF? These are the choices I've narrowed down to. Trying them at a dealer's has left me liking both ergonomically and 'just because I do', but I can't try them out in twilight at this time of year. Shop closing times in Britain don't follow the sunset!

Anyone have their own experience of both of these and able to help me with a comparison? Thank you.

Tom

I think you've picked two good ones! It's probably not going to be an easy choice.

If you've been able to actually try them, you are ahead of most.

Eye flexibility? I'm not sure what you mean by this..

Fact- on paper at least, the SF is the best binocular probably. Seriously. Optically it is as good as any in all conditions I have found. Wide FOV....bright and clear edge to edge. For me it SHOULD be my favorite binocular but it's not. I actually bought it to trump everything I have. It didn't, for me at least.

For me it comes down to some little things that may or may not matter to you. Size is HUGE for me. So you basically have the largest 8X42 out there vs. one of the smaller 42mm binoculars out there. So that about sums that up. Weight....they are pretty close. With the same binocular snaps attached the SF weighs 28.5 ounces and the Leica 26.5 ounces. Leica has been making the UVHD+ in some form for YEARS starting with the Ultravid and I'm pretty sure they have this model down pat. It's built like a tank. I personally can't see anything going wrong with this model down the road. Everything on the UVHD+ functions at it should; eyecups, focus adjustment, diopter adjustment, etc. Among the best in these areas if NOT the best. The view is easy and eye placement forgiving. Target acquisition is a snap. Handling IMO is the best for a 42mm. So yes, the UVHD+ 7X42 IS one my my favorite binoculars.

Quite honestly, you probably won't go wrong with either...

Attachments

• 2F24986F-E2E7-418C-925D-28C3E3E069D1.jpeg
    2F24986F-E2E7-418C-925D-28C3E3E069D1.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 245
Hi Chuck, I think you've probably summed up all the things I was getting round to thinking...

The shop has lent me the Zeiss SF for 14 days without having to stump up the money while the binos are out - very good of them. I took them for a spin yesterday and was amazed how easy they were to use, how quick to focus and well balanced. But the size is colossal; just looking at them is scary.. though as said they felt OK in use. If I can get to try the Ultravid HD 7 that would be great. Difficult choice but as you say, but only because they are likely both to feel good in use.

Thanks,

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back