Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tipperary/Offaly Birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 25th April 2008, 07:06   #76
Peter Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialltkeogh View Post
A Long-billed Dowitcher has been seen with the Blackwit flock at Shannon Airport Lagoon for the past few years, usually in late summer.

Perhaps the same bird???

Has there been any similar sightings of Dowitchers in Tip before?

Possible explanation: LBDow wintering with Blackwits (somewhere like Spain?) migrate north through Tip, end up at Shannon Airport. LBDow & Blackwits come back to Shannon airport in late summer?????

See Ya,
Niall
If there are any pictures from Clare of either or both the Spotted Redshank and Dowitcher you should get a good idea if the same birds are involved in both sightings
Old Friday 25th April 2008, 09:12   #77
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Phillips View Post
If there are any pictures from Clare of either or both the Spotted Redshank and Dowitcher you should get a good idea if the same birds are involved in both sightings
Good idea thanks Peter.

A Ring-necked Duck was found this morning at Lough Eorna by Frank O'Duffy.
A real one this time. Well marked bird.
At least some of them haven't hybridised

Last edited by Brosnabirder : Friday 25th April 2008 at 09:20.
Old Sunday 27th April 2008, 18:35   #78
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

On Friday evening I found a Blue-winged Teal at Reddan's Lough, North Tipp. The attached pics show the bird. As usual these are record shots.
This is likely to be a returning drake which has made brief stops at three different sites in North Tipp each April and/or May for the last three years.
I looked for it again on Saturday but couldn't relocate it. It may well still be there as there are some parts of Reddan's which are difficult to scan.

The same evening at Goat island, Lough Derg, 9 Whimbrel were best.

At Ashton's Callow on Saturday morning a large number of Whimbrel for the area, 108, were present. I guess they dropped in to roost overnight as they didn't feed and left between 6-45 and 7am as soon as it got properly bright. Dull morning. Also present was a Peregrine and only 45 Godwits

On Saturday at Lough Eorna the Ring-necked Duck was present in a mixed aythya flock. This may be a returning bird from last April/May seen at Reddan's Lough. The drake Ruddy Duck also there. Particularly nice to be able to see a proper Ring-neck so soon after the previous hybrid. It can be elusive at times.

At Ballyhourigan Woods in the Silvermine's Mts this morning I saw and heard my first Cuckoo of the year although they've been back in the area for almost a week now.
Apart from that a few Raven and a Jay were about the best
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reddan's Lough, 9, 25-04-08 482.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	136756  Click image for larger version

Name:	Reddan's Lough, 2, 25-04-08, 477.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	136757  Click image for larger version

Name:	Reddan's Lough, 3, 25-04-08, 488.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	136758  Click image for larger version

Name:	Reddan's Lough, 6, 25-04-08, 491.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	136759  

Last edited by Brosnabirder : Sunday 27th April 2008 at 18:55.
Old Monday 28th April 2008, 19:07   #79
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

Green-winged Teal at Ashton's Callow yesterday. Also one at Shannon Airport Lagoon yesterday so thats that mystery solved.
Also Swift at Clonmel yesterday. Both sightings from the BWI Tipp website.

In a funny coincidence Pat Brennan saw a Blue-winged Teal also on April 25th but last year at Firville Lake. Female on that occasion.
Old Monday 28th April 2008, 21:23   #80
Peter Phillips

Well done! Your having a great run over there, these past few weeks. It just goes to show whats around to be found when people are out looking. When you started the thread I thought you might struggle -plowing a lonely furrow. Your doing a great job, really enjoying the thread. keep up the good work.
Old Tuesday 29th April 2008, 08:54   #81
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

Thanks Peter, much appreciated.
Its been a decent spring so far but its not always like this

The winter was fairly dull.
Louth isn't having such a bad time of it recently either. Osprey would be nice here too.
Here is a summary of recent sightings in Tipperary.
http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/we...SightingSearch

Last edited by Brosnabirder : Tuesday 29th April 2008 at 12:14.
Old Tuesday 29th April 2008, 12:25   #82
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

This morning at Reddan's Lough Pat Brennan found a drake Garganey and a drake Ring-necked Duck.
Garganey has been recorded at 3 sites in North Tipp this spring already.

There is a picture of the 2 birds at Cabragh Wetlands on the BWI Tipperary website.

The Ring-neck could be the same bird as seen earlier at Lough Eorna/Ourna. Reddan's is not marked on the OS Discovery series map by the way but it is about two miles NW of Borrisokane. G.R. 900,963 on OS map 53. Tiny Lough but its produced some good birds over the years.

At Ashton's Callow this morning 3 Dunlin and 2 Whimbrel were the best so it is still attracting passage waders.
Old Tuesday 29th April 2008, 17:50   #83
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

This afternoon at Lough Boora Parklands, Offaly Pat Brennan saw 1 Wheatear and 46 Whimbrel . Also I forgot to mention that Pat and myself saw a Wheatear at Firville Lake, North Tipp on April 17th. That one was my first of this year although its not particularly early. Wheatear are generally first reported on later dates than in the west and south-east of the country.
Old Wednesday 30th April 2008, 09:07   #84
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

New Mammal for Tipperary

The Greater White-toothed Shrew has been found in Ireland. See this link
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/n...nd/7372807.stm

And OK its found in more counties than just Tipp. Wonder how it got here
Old Monday 5th May 2008, 20:57   #85
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

Things have quietened down greatly in Tipp this past week.

At Firville Lake on Friday, a Cuckoo and 15 Godwits were the most notable.
Ashton's Callow was quiet with only 9 late Godwits and a late drake Wigeon present

At Lough Eorna some migrants showed up, Common Sandpiper and Common Tern. The Tern was surprising given that the Lough Derg Tern colony was still empty on Friday and Sunday evenings. The drake Ruddy Duck and 1 Raven were still there on Friday and today as well. 2 Greylag geese and 8 Pochard also there. Joined by 25 Whimbrel today.

On Saturday myself and another observer saw a male Hen Harrier skydancing in the Silvermines/Slieve Felim range. The bird flew straight up and down 4 times before a Peregrine came in and forced it out of the air. I earlier saw a male hunting, probably the same bird. This is the same area where I saw a male and female Harrier associating together 6 weeks ago. Hopefully this is a breeding pair. Also present were 2 Wheatear and a Cuckoo

On Sunday at Ashton's a Cuckoo, 3 Curlew and 3 Whimbrel were in the area. Also 2 Shelduck were a nice sight as they are rarely recorded in Tipp or Offaly. These birds (a male and female) were possibly a pair. Where they are going to is anybody's guess.
Old Monday 12th May 2008, 18:03   #86
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

I had a fairly busy weekend this time around.

Lough Eorna quiet on Friday evening but I only had time for a quick look.

On Saturday at Ashton's Callow, Pat Brennan and myself saw 4 late Wigeon, 2 males and 2 females. Also there 2 Whimbrel, and a Cuckoo in the direction of Inch callow.

After that we had a look over Drinagh wetlands. This is part of the Lough Boora complex in Offaly. Some nice summer plumaged waders were present which are scarce for the area. 2 Turnstone, 25 Dunlin, 6 Ringed Plover and 2 male Ruff. One of the Ruff was the dark version and one was the white headed kind. May records of Ruff and Turnstone are unusual in the midlands. Good selection of waders on Saturday. Also a Cuckoo, Whitethroat, and Lapwing .

On Sunday morning, I went to Turraun in the Lough Boora Parklands. This sometimes attracts passage waders in spring and autumn so its worth a look. When I arrived I spotted a Hobby hawking insects above the lough here. Super bird. Was nice to see it gliding around occasionally dropping it's feet to snatch insects from the air. Looked a bit like a plane dropping its landing gear. It stayed for about 15 minutes and flew off to the west. I waited around until six in the hope it would return but no sign of it afterward or today. Boora is a huge area with very few observers so it may just have relocated. It was definitely my bird of the weekend.

On a related topic BINS reported a Hobby at Lough Derg yesterday too. All part of a recent influx with at least seven reports since last Wednesday or so.

Also at Turraun on Sunday I saw one Water Rail a pair of Greylags with 5 goslings, 10 Whimbrel and 2 Cuckoos calling at the same time at different ends of the lough.
Old Tuesday 13th May 2008, 15:03   #87
Dermot Breen

Brilliant find Tom. I can say I'm just a little jealous to say the least since its my old stomping ground. Habitat perfect for them down there.
Things starting to quieten down a little up here in Donegal but still a good selection of ducks between Inch and Blanket Nook - Black Duck, Garganey, Velvet Scoter, Gadwall, Pintail, Shoveler (last two scarce up here at the best of times). Starting to turn my attention onto butterflies, moths, dragonflies and orchids to keep me sane during the summer months!

Dermot
Old Tuesday 13th May 2008, 17:31   #88
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermot Breen View Post
Brilliant find Tom. I can say I'm just a little jealous to say the least since its my old stomping ground. Habitat perfect for them down there.
Things starting to quieten down a little up here in Donegal but still a good selection of ducks between Inch and Blanket Nook - Black Duck, Garganey, Velvet Scoter, Gadwall, Pintail, Shoveler (last two scarce up here at the best of times). Starting to turn my attention onto butterflies, moths, dragonflies and orchids to keep me sane during the summer months!

Dermot
Thanks Dermot. Delighted by it. Hopefully it will be seen again.

Your own finds this spring in Donegal are not too shabby at all.

I don't visit Boora all that often. It is just a bit far away to get to every week. Also I never expect too much from it. It has the sightings list to justify more regular coverage though and it always delivers something even if it is just the regular breeders. Then there are the scarce and rare birds it has produced, Red-necked Phal, Temmincks Stint, Marsh Harrier etc. Great place
Old Sunday 18th May 2008, 21:44   #89
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

Last Thursday Pat Brennan found two drake Long-tailed Ducks at Drinagh wetland in the Lough Boora Parklands. I went to see them that evening. What an odd sight. Inland. In mid May. On a flooded bog cutting. Also one remaining Turnstone , six Ringed Plover, a Whimbrel and the regulars. Some good numbers of Great Crested Grebe use Drinagh. I counted nine on Thursday evening though this is probably not the maximum count here over the last while.

Not a lot else of note at Boora although it is always nice to hear the strange singing of the Partridge Several Cuckoos in the area as usual too.

Dermot. Do you know if anybody has done a survey of the parklands since you did your one? It would be great if one was done and included in the Bird Atlas.

Lough Eorna and Goat Island in Tipp quiet this weekend. Pair of Ruddy Duck and a surprising 67 Tufted Duck at Eorna on what is quite a small lake.

On Saturday morning I did one of my Atlas tetrads in Tipp. The highlight was a pair of Peregrine at a regular nest site. They weren't new birds to me in the area but its god to have them confirmed on a timed visit. A really great excuse to visit areas I don't get to very often. Roll on next weekend so I can get to my other tetrad.
Old Sunday 25th May 2008, 17:52   #90
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

Did my second Atlas tetrad yesterday morning in Tipp.
The highlights were a male Hen Harrier, 3 Curlew, and 6 Raven
Also in the tetrad I counted 90+ Meadow Pipits, 10 Willow Warblers, 2 pairs of Grey Wagtail, Siskins, and 9 Stonechat. Nice morning out.

Yesterday afternoon on the Ballyfinboy River near Borrisokane I walked a stretch of about a mile. It produced 3 Kingfishers together (probably a family party), 15 House Martins, 8 Willow Warblers, a Blackcap, a Grey Wagtail and best of all 2 Spotted Flycatchers, flycatching. Well what else would they be doing

This stretch of river also held Dippers up to two years ago but their nest seems to have been disturbed and they haven't returned. Dippers are actually fairly common on rivers in the lowlands in Tipp and Offaly.
Old Monday 26th May 2008, 09:06   #91
birdsgalway
Tom Cuffe

Tom
Well done good haul of birds. Always good to see Kingfishers at anytime but to have 3 together was great. Have yet to see a Spotted Flycatcher in my neck of the woods. Must make an effort to hook up with you when your in Galway.
Old Tuesday 27th May 2008, 11:18   #92
nialltkeogh
Pterodromas are far out!

Where exactly is Lough Ourna????

Trying to figure out the best way of getting there by bus/train from Dublin.

Black-winged Stilt would be a nice tick. Yes please!!!!

Any directions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Niall
Old Tuesday 27th May 2008, 19:11   #93
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialltkeogh View Post
Where exactly is Lough Ourna????

Trying to figure out the best way of getting there by bus/train from Dublin.

Black-winged Stilt would be a nice tick. Yes please!!!!

Any directions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Niall
Hi Niall,
I'm sorry but I've only just seen your post
I was busy trying to see the Black-winged Stilt myself. Unfortunately after a bit of a bus and car trek from Galway I didn't see it in the end. It wasn't seen after lunch. Several people looked for the Stilt during the day but it was't refound. Roughly six or seven people either saw it or looked for it. It might just have been the biggest twitch ever in Tipp It could well be still there although all accessible areas were searched.
Black-winged Stilt occurred at least once before in Tipp at the Thurles sugar factory lagoons in the 80s.

Compensation today came in the form of a stunning summer plumage Black-necked Grebe discovered yesterday morning by Frank O'Duffy. Some info on www.irishbirding.com. Got some great close views of it. Also two Ruddy Duck .

For future reference Lough Ourna/Eorna is about 5 miles north of Nenagh on the Borrisokane road. Its on the left hand side coming from Nenagh. It can be viewed from a side road off the main road. This side road leads to a B and B.
On Discovery OS Map 59, the Grid Reference for the junction of the small side road and the main road (N52) is 884, 856. This is a private road but the landowners don't mind people looking over the lough from the road. For anybody driving please park considerately as the road is in constant use by farmers and B and B customers.

Getting there by bus is a little tricky. There are buses every hour to Nenagh. Its the Limerick bus. Buses from Nenagh to Borrisokane are a bit infrequent. Every three hours or so if memory serves. Its not far by taxi from Nenagh though and one lad did this today.

Hopefully it'll show up again.
Hope this is some help
Tom

Last edited by Brosnabirder : Tuesday 27th May 2008 at 19:26. Reason: Addition
Old Tuesday 27th May 2008, 19:18   #94
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

Frank O'Duffy found the Stilt too this morning. A couple of good mornings for him.

I also had a quick look over Ardcroney Lake and Reddan's Lough for the Stilt today too in case it relocated but no luck. Two pairs of Lapwing at Ardcroney and a couple of singing male Yellowhammers at Reddans were about the best
Old Thursday 29th May 2008, 13:33   #95
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

There is a picture of the Black-winged Stilt on the Birdwatch Tipperary website.
Link below. No reports of it since Tuesday
Old Thursday 29th May 2008, 14:42   #96
nialltkeogh
Pterodromas are far out!

Hi Tom,

Cheers for all the info anyways, much appreciated.

I didn't go down as I had heard it wasn't seen since the morning.
Just checked Kilcoole and Broadlough for one instead but no joy!

Regards,
Niall
Old Thursday 29th May 2008, 15:38   #97
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

No bother
You'll know where it is for again anyhow. If something good shows up again. Hopefully
There seems to be more than one Black-winged Stilt in the country anyway. Flyover in Cork too on Tuesday
Old Saturday 31st May 2008, 18:09   #98
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

Continuing a good run recently Pat Brennan found a Red-necked Phalarope at Lough Boora, Offaly yesterday evening. I went to see it last night and today. Very nice female. Its possibly a returning bird seen last June in the exact same spot at Boora. Accompanied by 6 Dunlin last night. Also 1 Cuckoo
A few people turned up to see it today.

Also today at Drinagh near Cloghan 1 Ringed Plover and 15 Dunlin and at least 3 pairs of Great Crested Grebes
Reddans Lough quiet today with just the regulars present

This morning at Faddan Bog, North Tipp I saw and heard one Cuckoo

Last edited by Brosnabirder : Saturday 31st May 2008 at 18:22. Reason: Addition
Old Monday 2nd June 2008, 15:49   #99
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

Here is a pic I took of the Phalarope from Boora. Taken near dark and in the rain on Friday night. There are some much better pics on www.irishbirding.com taken on Saturday.

Sunday was relatively quiet. 1 Cuckoo and 2 Jay about the best in the Silvermines.
At Goat Island, Lough Derg I saw a few Black-headed Gull chicks. Also pair of Yellowhammer and c.30 Tufted Duck

Also there are some photos of the Black-winged Stilt at Lough Eorna by Frank O'Duffy on www.irishbirding.com now too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boora Back Lakes, 30-05-08,.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	143046  

Last edited by Brosnabirder : Monday 2nd June 2008 at 15:52. Reason: Addition
Old Monday 2nd June 2008, 19:32   #100
Brosnabirder
Brosnabirder

A juvenile White-tailed Eagle was reported at Boora today. Per BINS
Advertisement