• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New dSLR sensor rating website (1 Viewer)

RJM

Don't Worry, Be Happy!
Discovered this dxomark site yesterday. Not really camera reviews, but a scientific ranking of overall sensor performance. Interesting results.

cheers,
Rick

Rick,
Great heads-up on a good reference site. It will be interesting to see if they keep updating the site with the addition of new models each month or year. Thanks again!
Greg

That is mind boggling. The Canon 40D is rated higher than the 50D!!! The old 400D is rated higher than many later models or supposedly better performers! The top spot is taken by Nikon model--- look and see!!!

I wonder how they actually decide the ratings as I cannot see but there again I am no technical expert.

Very revealing. Glad I waited for a full frame Nikon before switching from film to digital format.

Could not be happier with my Nikon D3 and D700 cameras.

Discovered this dxomark site yesterday. Not really camera reviews, but a scientific ranking of overall sensor performance. Interesting results.

cheers,
Rick

Yes, but they are really rating for general photography. Look at the noise section, where they derive a "normalized signal to noise ratio". The standardization they apply is not really what we _normally_ do in bird photography. When discussing comparison between a 350d and a full frame, they "change the lens" to get the same image on the sensor. In most cases a bird photographer would be using the longest lens possible whichever body. And then would crop, and the crops would be different. So, not quite what their tests examine, and the differences between cameras are often so small it would make a difference.

So, this is a good guide, a _very_ good guide because it attempts to apply science to the actual way people use their gear. However, because we bird photographers are strange people doing strange things with our pictures :) it needs to be interpreted with a lot of thought.

I wish they would add a couple of things :
an indication of variation between different example of one particular sensor;
an indication of how large a difference between sensors is needed for each measure to see a difference in practice. Many differences are small - do they mean anything ?

Mike.

IMO, this is a good reference tool but it is far from evaluating the complete effectiveness or overall quality of a camera. It evaluates the sensor - that's it.

When taking a picture, the whole camera is used - ergonomics, IS, in-camera processing, lens, etc. Then the most important ingredient must be added: the photographer ! Finally, the picture quality should be optimized by the post-treatment. This is a lot more than just the raw capture !!!

Pixel peeping is very nice but is is far from being the most important ingredient in a camera as far as I am concerned. Also, don't forget that small differences in those evaluation numbers are not significant and can't be seen by the human eye.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back