• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

willow emerald Trimley Marshes (1 Viewer)

The Winter Damselfly was also mentioned, with photo, in British Wildlife Vol 20 No 3 (Feb 2009) - page 203.

I seem to remember hearing there was a reintro attempt for Dainty Damselfly in Essex some years ago, or am I mistaken ( probably...)

Colin

Hoping to go for the Willows over the weekend.
Would be interested to hear of any updates from anyone who has been to see them recently.

Hoping to go for the Willows over the weekend.
Would be interested to hear of any updates from anyone who has been to see them recently.

Yes, still all present and correct! Indeed new sites continue to be found, e.g. at Alton Water. I guess this would be in line with a resident population; certainly ovipositing has been noted at quite a few sites this year.

Adrian

There were 4 in 2006 including 2 in Hampshire - a photo of the coastal one is on the dragonflies-uk yahoo group. I didn't read of any since but Adrian Parr would know - if people have let him know!

I agree entirely that more must get here regularly (+ the commoner stuff like RVD and Lesser Emperor) but there are so few people out looking that they get missed.

There were a couple in 2008 in Dorset but my attempt to twitch one failed. I am sure there will be an easy one sooner or later. Guess at places to look:

Chichester GP

Studland

Dungeness

John

After almost going last W/E, i finally got my a**e in gear & took the trip down today. So glad i did. We were on site just after 9 & stayed until 1 & during the course of the morning saw at least 20 Willow Emeralds including 3 males. The insects spend a lot of time just perched up & are very confiding allowing excellent photo opportunities. They were clustered in small groups all the way along the path from the pump house to the black bridge. Had we have gone further i`m sure we would have found more. There were also plenty of other odonata around with Small Red-eyes, Brown & Migrant Hawkers, Common & Ruddy Darters, a few Common Emeralds & various Blues etc. Next year Norfolk (hopefully).

Attachments

• DSC07052.JPG
    DSC07052.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7262.JPG
    IMG_7262.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 66
After almost going last W/E, i finally got my a**e in gear & took the trip down today. So glad i did. We were on site just after 9 & stayed until 1 & during the course of the morning saw at least 20 Willow Emeralds including 3 males. The insects spend a lot of time just perched up & are very confiding allowing excellent photo opportunities. They were clustered in small groups all the way along the path from the pump house to the black bridge. Had we have gone further i`m sure we would have found more. There were also plenty of other odonata around with Small Red-eyes, Brown & Migrant Hawkers, Common & Ruddy Darters, a few Common Emeralds & various Blues etc. Next year Norfolk (hopefully).

Great morning wasn't it. Don't know for sure how many I managed to see in the end, but i reckon on about a dozen around the pump house, including many tenerals and a similar number around the bridge, with a few in between-we did not check every suitable spot.
Must point out the estate managers comments that only the pond adjacent to the pump house is accessible to the public.
Hope to get my images up on my blog later in the week (along with a superb Roesels Bush Cricket).

Yes, still all present and correct! Indeed new sites continue to be found, e.g. at Alton Water. I guess this would be in line with a resident population; certainly ovipositing has been noted at quite a few sites this year.

Adrian

Any details of the Alton Water sightings?

Cheers
Phil

The following are from the BINS website;

"Alton Water - 2 Willow Emerald Damselflies again just East of the North Lemons Hill carpark mid morning."
"Alton Water - 3 Willow Emerald Damselflies just East of North Lemons Hill carpark mid afternoon."

Hope this helps

Stuart

Spoke to a mate on Monday who records a lot of wildlife in the local park - Holywells Park, Ipswich. He mentioned seeing some Emerald Damselflies in the park recently, on discussion it seemed as if they were probably Willows. He checked photos he had taken which confirmed they were. We met up in the park later where we found 3 near Pond 4/moat including a pair ovipositing on an overhanging Ash. Later we found two more in the orchard. A good record for a central park in town.

Gi

The following are from the BINS website;

"Alton Water - 2 Willow Emerald Damselflies again just East of the North Lemons Hill carpark mid morning."
"Alton Water - 3 Willow Emerald Damselflies just East of North Lemons Hill carpark mid afternoon."

Hope this helps

Stuart

Thanks for that Stuart but hearing that they're now at Fingringhoe is even better. Only 5mins up the road, even I can find time for that!

Phil

Had a lunch break free (passing through Suffolk yesterday 3/9), so very little time available and weather windy with just occasional 'splash' of sunshine. There were two Willow Emeralds by the footbridge over the River Deben, 200 yards SW of Quill Fm near Campsea Ashe. Thank-you for earlier post about this site.

Thanks for that Stuart but hearing that they're now at Fingringhoe is even better. Only 5mins up the road, even I can find time for that!

Phil

Never did find time to get to Fingringhoe but turns out I didn't need to. I've been checking an area on the River Colne in Colchester that looks to be great habitat for them for the last few weeks and finally came up trumps yesterday when I had a male. I love it when a plan comes together.

Phil

Hi David,
The Willow Emerald was just a couple of hundred yards downriver from Castle Park adjacent to a large pond. I'm going to try to get some photos in half hour or so, I'll let you know how I get on.

Phil

I had a look for about 45mins but no luck. It is a bit overcast and a lot cooler than yesterday though and there were hardly any dragonflies on the wing, whereas yesterday there were quite a few darters and migrant hawkers. It's supposed to brighten up later so I'll give it another go then.

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back