Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.93 average.
Old Thursday 5th January 2006, 12:05   #51
Freddie Vernon

Thanks Breffni,

An interesting bird for sure but not very owlish!! Hope to bump into you one of these days. The Carlingford weekend sounds great.
Old Thursday 5th January 2006, 12:52   #52
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie Vernon
Thanks Breffni,

An interesting bird for sure but not very owlish!! Hope to bump into you one of these days. The Carlingford weekend sounds great.
actually when i first saw it, it came into view in my scope as i was scanning some linnets - i initially thought it was a parrot because it stared so steadily straight at me with those beady binocular eyes - quite unnerving actually! Bird also seemed huge...attached pic from about 150 yards distance...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leucistic crow tree wb.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	37052  
Old Thursday 5th January 2006, 21:10   #53
gareth2005

I thought Rook ( Of sorts ) when looking at the pics first, but it does seem pretty big in that last photo. I'll try and take a trip down there tomoorrow as i'm off work.
Old Sunday 8th January 2006, 18:38   #54
gareth2005

Saw a lovely view of 2 Buzzards in the field across the road from Sextons pub. They were being mobbed by crows. Would have made a great photo as they perched quite close to the road but I had no camera at the time :(
Old Friday 13th January 2006, 09:49   #55
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth2005
Saw a lovely view of 2 Buzzards in the field across the road from Sextons pub. They were being mobbed by crows. Would have made a great photo as they perched quite close to the road but I had no camera at the time :(
i see them along the dundalk bypass regularly now - nearly caused a pileup to stop and look the other day - i think they like the road edge because prey species gather there blocked by the road...also saw jays in the small woodland behind the church at dunaney/hermitage. There is a flock of redpoll wt some mealys at north of cursetown in the filed with weeds...
Old Friday 13th January 2006, 09:55   #56
breffni

Carlingford photo competition

Carlingford are running a bird photography competition (http://www.carlingford.ie/wildlife.htm) - according to the rules "Winning photographs will feature a bird species common to the area and IDEALLY some identifiable feature of Carlingford or the Cooley landscape." So if you have any kind of decent photo please submit to [email protected] - there is also a talk by Eric Dempsey on the 11th February and a field outing the following day (http://www.carlingford.ie/events.htm)...
Old Friday 13th January 2006, 11:01   #57
Freddie Vernon

Redpolls

Hi Breffni, Gareth et al,

In addition to the mealy redpolls there was a Slavonian Grebe at Salterstown. It would appear that there are 3 in the bay at present (this one and 2 at Lurgangreen per Enda). In recent years January seems to be the month for slavs although I had a november bird at Hermitage in 2004. According to my records we are due a red necked grebe in the next few weeks!! Bins and scopes at the ready.

My home patch at Stabannon is a great area for buzzards, mainly due to the topography of the area. In recent weeks a wing tagged bird (large red tag on left wing) has been seen in the area - once by me about 30m from my house and once by unknown around the N33/M1 interchange.
Old Wednesday 18th January 2006, 08:41   #58
ardnasx1
Sandra

Have you noticed how many more buzzards there seem to be around these days? A year or two ago I found it rare to spot one, but they seem to be much more widespread and numerous in the last while, a couple of months ago I saw 9 in the sky together. Someone told me a load of them were released from the North into Co Louth, does anyone know if that is the case?
Old Wednesday 18th January 2006, 10:37   #59
breffni

Buzzards slowly colonised from the north since use strichnine poison was banned. It was first banned in the north in the 80's, then in the south in the 90's (farmers used to bait carrion with strichnine to kill foxes, because Buzzards will take carrion they were wiped out by this practice). Their recolonisation, starting in the north, has been completely natural without any artificial intervention.

I see buzzards almost every day at the minute - in the full moon you can often see them hunting from the street lights around ballymac roundabout. Also in the fields adjacent yesterday there was a large mixed flock of redwing and fieldfare surveyed by a buzzard - this one with a very bright breast band...

BTW yesterday i had the twite down at soldiers point (alas no frontal photo but the bill is the diagnostic bright yellow) - bird was found by someone called gallagher from dublin (thanks!). Was going from the bushes to the fields in the small estate last turn on the right as you approach soldiers point. There were also three bullfinches together, a bit atypical - maybe northern bulls, probably not.

(crappy photos due to twilight conditions...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	buzzard night ballymac.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	37735  Click image for larger version

Name:	bullfinch soldiers pt jan 06.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	37736  Click image for larger version

Name:	redwing balllymac jan 06.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	37737  Click image for larger version

Name:	twite soldiers point jan 06.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	37738  Click image for larger version

Name:	buzzard ballymac cross.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	37739  

Old Wednesday 18th January 2006, 18:55   #60
flavirostris
John Gallagher

Hi Breffni,

had the twite on Sunday around 13:30 in the trees on the wasteground. There were at least 4 consorting with the linnets.I have some (really bad) pics if you would be interested in seeing them.
The numbers wintering in Louth must be down big time on years ago.

John Gallagher
Old Thursday 19th January 2006, 09:03   #61
ardnasx1
Sandra

Must keep an eye out at night for buzzards if I'm in the area, I'd love to see that.

Could someone tell me where is Hermitage. I am familiar with the Dunany/Togher/Salterstown area but I don't know where Hermitage is and it seems to get a lot of mentions.
Old Thursday 19th January 2006, 09:27   #62
Freddie Vernon

Hi Sandra,

Directions to Hermitage as follows :

If you drive along the coast road at Salterstown take the right turn at the end (you must as this is the end of the road!!). This road will take you past a thatched cottage and farm and up to a T junction on the Annagassan to Clogherhead road. Turn left at this junction and carry on until you reach a crossroads. Turn left again and continue for about 2km until you see the sign for Dunany Horse Trials. (There is a long avenue type road/lane leading up to this). The road down to Hermitage is immediately BEFORE this lane on the left. It has been tarmacced in recent times and is quite easy to drive down. It brings you directly to an old disused harbour - the remains of the pier are still there. When you arrive there be patient as sometimes there appears to be nothing there but given time they will come to you. It is an amazing place and well worth spending some time there.

Hope this helps. If you need any further information let me know.

Good Birding!!
Old Thursday 19th January 2006, 09:58   #63
breffni

An illustrated talk by Eric Dempsey of the Mooney Goes Wild Show and author of 'The Complete Guide to Ireland's Birds' will take place at the spirit store on Sun 22nd January at 2PM. This presentation will be suitable for young and old, novice and expert alike'. The talk will be followed by a practical demonstration of how to watch birds on the quay wall. Admission Free.

see http://www.spiritstore.ie/
Old Thursday 19th January 2006, 11:22   #64
ardnasx1
Sandra

Thanks for that Freddie, I know the road and I do go there regularly. I never knew it was called Hermitage. I'll spend a bit more time there next time.

Sounds like a good day out on Sunday, will try to make it.
Old Friday 20th January 2006, 10:19   #65
Freddie Vernon

Thumbs up

Hi Sandra,

No problem. It's good to know there's another pair of eyes on the lookout there. Just for the record I had a little auk there a couple of weeks ago and in the recent past a little ringed plover and a few years ago a hoopoe (!!) were seen there. It is also a good place for Slavonian/Red-necked Grebe.
Old Saturday 21st January 2006, 19:08   #66
flavirostris
John Gallagher

dropped by soldier's point today to check if the twite were still hanging around. somebody had taken a chainsaw to the trees they were in last weekend. words fail me...

:(
Old Monday 23rd January 2006, 13:15   #67
breffni

It is highly unlikely that permission was given by the county council for the removal of trees, particularly in the context of the (in its own right crazy) residential development going on down there at the moment...

I would suggest contacting Brendan McSherry ([email protected]), the heritage officer at louth county council. Copy on the message [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] (local green party councillor), [email protected] (national parks and wildlife - for attention of Louth County Ranger), niall hatch at BWI (see their website for contact details) and if that gets no response copy everything to [email protected], the local newspaper and maybe an taisce as well. Mention that Twite are a red-listed species in ireland and give a detailed description of what happened incluiding if possible before and after photos. Anyway that's what i would suggest...and would do the same in any instance of tree cutting, hedgerow destruction, infilling of ponds/waterways, drainage of reedbeds, inappropriate development etc etc

Last edited by breffni : Saturday 15th April 2006 at 12:22.
Old Monday 23rd January 2006, 14:42   #68
flavirostris
John Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by breffni
Raise a stink! It is highly unlikely that permission was given by the county council for the removal of trees, particularly in the context of the (in its own right crazy) residential development going on down there at the moment...

I would suggest contacting Brendan MacSherry ([email protected]), the heritage officer at louth county council. Copy on the message [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] (local green party councillor), [email protected] (national parks and wildlife - for attention of Louth County Ranger), niall hatch at BWI (see their website for contact details) and copy everything to [email protected], the local newspaper. Mention that Twite are a red-listed species in ireland and give a detailed description of what happened incluiding if possible before and after photos. Anyway that's what i would suggest...and would do the same in any instance of tree cutting, hedgerow destruction, infilling of ponds/waterways, drainage of reedbeds, inappropriate development etc etc

I might just do that, it occured to me that the trees were cut down because some local resident didn't like the fact that they had birders behind their property. solution - get rid of trees to get rid of birders
Old Monday 23rd January 2006, 16:30   #69
breffni

Birding event at Spiritstore

Anyway the talk by Eric Dempsey in the spiritstore was attended by about 70 people and continued for an hour or so on the quay wall afterwards with demos of digiscoping etc - usual crop of birds (3 ruff the highlight) though earlier i had a very nice peregrine harrying a flock of fieldfare...

There will be a followup event in Carlingford on the 11th and 12th Feb...room in PJs (pub) reserved for afterwards...(see www.carlingford.ie)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fieldfare willeville wb jan 06.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	38189  Click image for larger version

Name:	spirit store jan 06.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	38190  

Last edited by breffni : Wednesday 1st February 2006 at 10:46.
Old Tuesday 24th January 2006, 08:53   #70
ardnasx1
Sandra

That's me looking through the nearest scope in your photo at the Spirit Store!! Were you the fella who owned it?

I really enjoyed the talk and it was a very good turnout.
Old Tuesday 24th January 2006, 10:53   #71
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnasx1
That's me looking through the nearest scope in your photo at the Spirit Store!! Were you the fella who owned it?

I really enjoyed the talk and it was a very good turnout.
I'm afraid so - I was a bit quiet due to slight after effects of seeing a friend off to the US the previous night.
Old Tuesday 24th January 2006, 11:42   #72
ardnasx1
Sandra

Well you were very helpful to my sister and her husband who are planning on buying new equipment. They were very pleased with your advice.

The quay there is certainly a great spot for birds. I'm only there a very odd time, fortunately the Boyne estuary which is near me also is excellent so I never have too far to travel.
Old Wednesday 25th January 2006, 21:12   #73
gareth2005

Sounds like a good day had by all, pity I missed it.
I was doing some fishing on Lough Ross ( Between Cullaville and Crossmaglen ) that weekend, its a great spot for birdwatching also !
There must have been a couple of hundred Wigion there, they made there constant whistling noise all day.

Also about 5 Great crested grebes, 200 Lapwing and the odd comorant, that was just what i saw from the one spot !
A great location and real easy to gain access with paths marked out etc.
Old Thursday 26th January 2006, 22:26   #74
gareth2005

Also meant to mention that there were a half dozen Whooper Swans there. I'm guessing Whooper judging by the noise of them but cant be 100% as i has no binos with me.
Old Saturday 28th January 2006, 13:41   #75
ardnasx1
Sandra

I saw two fields with hundreds of what looked like greylag geese with some others mixed in today, only had pocket binoculars with me so couldn't identify them properly. They are in Greenmount about 2 miles south of Castlebellingham, across the road from the Statoil station. They arrived this morning, seemingly someone was out shooting at them but they were still there this afternoon.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: