Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Ideas for birding in autumn

Old Friday 25th August 2017, 21:21   #1
Andrea-Bologna

Question Ideas for birding in autumn

Hi there. I’m from Italy and I wonder if birding in autumn in Ireland (October, November?) could be interesting for someone like me, who never visited north Europe on the whole. I guess the reply is YES. As you can imagine, I miss a lot of species….
Anyway, I’d have some limitations:
  • Cheap flight to Dublin
  • No rented car because I can’t imagine to drive on the wrong side of the road
  • Nice birding spot which can be reached by public transport or taxi (I guess this ‘d not be cheap)
  • 4 or 5 days and no more
I have (and never used) “Where to watch birds in Britain and Ireland” (D.Tipling) and “Bill Oddie’s Birding Map of Britain and Ireland”.
Some ideas?? Thank you, very appreciated…
PS: posted similar also on the Scotland page
Old Friday 1st September 2017, 11:15   #2
Pariah
Stealth Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea-Bologna View Post
Hi there. I’m from Italy and I wonder if birding in autumn in Ireland (October, November?) could be interesting for someone like me, who never visited north Europe on the whole. I guess the reply is YES. As you can imagine, I miss a lot of species….
Anyway, I’d have some limitations:
  • Cheap flight to Dublin
  • No rented car because I can’t imagine to drive on the wrong side of the road
  • Nice birding spot which can be reached by public transport or taxi (I guess this ‘d not be cheap)
  • 4 or 5 days and no more
I have (and never used) “Where to watch birds in Britain and Ireland” (D.Tipling) and “Bill Oddie’s Birding Map of Britain and Ireland”.
Some ideas?? Thank you, very appreciated…
PS: posted similar also on the Scotland page
Hi Andrea,

1. I strongly, strongly recommend that you reconsider renting a car. Ireland is not a public transport friendly country. It's not Italy...so you should find the drivers less insane ...well...marginally

2. Decide what species would interest you. It's still pretty easy to see a variety of seabirds you may not regularly see in Italy. In October you could potentially be looking at some American vagrants on headlands and estuaries in the south/west of the country if you can go that far.

3. Get your hands on Eric Dempsey's "where to find birds in Ireland", for up to date info on where to go, including the various sites in Dublin itself, which should be reachable by public transport if needs be.

Regards

Owen
Old Sunday 22nd October 2017, 22:22   #3
Andrea-Bologna

thanks for the reply. Anyway, I finally decide to go to.... Nederland! It'll be easier due to better flights and no hassle having to drive the car on the opposite side we are used.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: