• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid bn 8x32, are they still worthy? (3 Viewers)

In my opinion, they are not worth the price you will be paying. They have worse control of chromatic aberration, are less bright, and do not have a particularly neutral color cast.

They are great optics, but at the price you can get a new, second-tier that will have a warranty (Leica does not have a transferable warranty, at least on some models) and better optics.

If you are buying it for the prestige or mystique (collector's value), then go for it, they certainly won't "disappoint" in terms of view... But I strongly urge you to consider other options (the Meopro HD and Leupold BX-4 HD are both better options, IMO, for less than $500 USD, with a lifetime warranty).

So, are you looking for reasons to buy or reasons not to buy? Sounds like you want them. Just do it! ;)

Neither I guess... I just don't want to miss out on a last chance to buy something special. If everyone told me that I can easily find a new $700.00, modern bino, that will outperform the Trinovids in every way, and that there is no reason, other than nostalgia, to buy the the BNs, than I wouldn't buy them.
But... I think I'm hearing that the BNs are still quite a competitive optic, even by modern standards.

Am I wrong?

BTW, They are still under Leica's lifetime Passport warranty.

... two others to look at are the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 and Nikon HG 8x42 which can be had for around $800.00. I feel either one will outperform the BN especially in brightness and CA.

The Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 should be selling for $899.99, and the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 should be at $979.95. Anything lower for either and you should beware of non-authorized dealers and gray market items. Nikon has just fired all of their distributors to insure that only authorized dealers are selling their binoculars and spotting scopes.

In the sub-$1000 price range, the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 is my favorite. It has a 4.9' close focus, huge 420' FOV at 1000 yds, and the best brightness and CA reduction of the lot.

In my opinion, they are not worth the price you will be paying. They have worse control of chromatic aberration, are less bright, and do not have a particularly neutral color cast.

They are great optics, but at the price you can get a new, second-tier that will have a warranty (Leica does not have a transferable warranty, at least on some models) and better optics.

If you are buying it for the prestige or mystique (collector's value), then go for it, they certainly won't "disappoint" in terms of view... But I strongly urge you to consider other options (the Meopro HD and Leupold BX-4 HD are both better options, IMO, for less than $500 USD, with a lifetime warranty).

These are brand new in the box BN's from a reputable camera store with all original paperwork, including the lifetime passport warrantee. I would check with Leica on the warrantee, and if everything was up and up, I'd buy them.

This is great feed back.

I am not being argumentative, just sharing my experience.

I am a successful photographer with over 30 years of pro experience, so I'm very aware of most optical flaws. In fact, I recently went to an ophthalmologist to find out why I can see the chromatic aberrations in my own, naked eyes! As it turns out, I have no heath issues... I'm just that sensitive!

I rank the BNs third in regards to CAs. Solidly behind the Swaro 8.5x42 and only slightly behind the Leica Silverline 10x42. They virtually tie with the CL Companion 10x30!

I rank the brightness in one of my posts above and the colour to be very satisfying, which I guess is a personal preference. Flare control is on par with the big boys and much better than the Swarovski CL Companions! These also come with the Leica lifetime Passport warranty.

Neither I guess... I just don't want to miss out on a last chance to buy something special. If everyone told me that I can easily find a new $700.00, modern bino, that will outperform the Trinovids in every way, and that there is no reason, other than nostalgia, to buy the the BNs, than I wouldn't buy them.
But... I think I'm hearing that the BNs are still quite a competitive optic, even by modern standards.

Am I wrong?

BTW, They are still under Leica's lifetime Passport warranty.

The mere fact that everyone here knows the BN speaks volumes imho.
It is a classic and those are hard to find, especially with a lifetime warranty attached.
Leica used to offer a very handy minimalist BN holster, ideal when crawling through the bush. You might ask whether they still have any.

The Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 should be selling for $899.99, and the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 should be at $979.95. Anything lower for either and you should beware of non-authorized dealers and gray market items. Nikon has just fired all of their distributors to insure that only authorized dealers are selling their binoculars and spotting scopes.

In the sub-$1000 price range, the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 is my favorite. It has a 4.9' close focus, huge 420' FOV at 1000 yds, and the best brightness and CA reduction of the lot.

Thanks for the reply!

In Canada both the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 and the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 sell for about $1200.00 CDN. The BNs are $900.00 CDN.

Keep in mind the OP is talking $900, CA. Under $700, US.

I would buy them.

You've indicated they are easy to view through, they fit your hands, and you like their lack of flare. These things matter. They "may" have a bit more CA than the latest bins, but maybe not, and under what conditions? And, they are as sharp as anything, IMO.

They also have that Leica je ne sais quoi, and a lifetime warranty. They are also one of the coolest looking bins ever made, I think, and drop dead classics.

Attachments

• Leica 8x32 BN 2.jpg
    Leica 8x32 BN 2.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
it sounds like you're pretty set on the BN's, I certainly wouldn't try to talk you out of them. On the contrary actually!

No, not necessarily, but I can see why you'd say that. I admit I have a big soft spot for Leica. I have owned various M series Leica cameras and lenses over the years and I have a beautiful Leica scope on one of my rifles. The idea of having Leica binoculars to go with the scope is very intriguing... but not at any price and not if there is a substantially better option out there.

Last edited:
No, necessarily, but I can see why you'd say that. I admit I have a big soft spot for Leica. I have owned various M series Leica cameras and lenses over the years and I have a beautiful Leica scope on one of my rifles. The idea of having Leica binoculars to go with the scope is very intriguing... but not at any price and not if there is a substantially better option out there.

Mechanically, I don't think there is a better option at any price. This is a solid glass.
Optically, it is no longer state of the art, as has been explained in some detail, but the gap is not massive.
The lifetime warranty is a serious plus, newer glasses have more constricted coverage, usually 10 years.
The major caveat is that the glass is new old stock and seals on gear left to age in a hot warehouse may deteriorate. AllBinos had that happen to a Leica on one of their comparison tests and on inquiry attributed the failure to abusive storage.

Mechanically, I don't think there is a better option at any price. This is a solid glass.
Optically, it is no longer state of the art, as has been explained in some detail, but the gap is not massive.
The lifetime warranty is a serious plus, newer glasses have more constricted coverage, usually 10 years.
The major caveat is that the glass is new old stock and seals on gear left to age in a hot warehouse may deteriorate. AllBinos had that happen to a Leica on one of their comparison tests and on inquiry attributed the failure to abusive storage.

If that happened he has the lifetime warranty to fall back on. My Ultravid BRs were the last Leica bino to come with the lifetime Passport warranty and I covet it.

Personally I would buy it. It would match up nicely with my 7x42 version (the legendary "brick") which has the same fine leather case and Passport warranty. I purchased it new in box from Cabelas in 2006 for $700.00 and I know it will outlive me and keep on working!

I have 2 sons and I could pass one on to each of them!o:D Instead of having them fight over just one.;)

Bob

I would wait for the new Tract Toric UHD 8x42 with Schott Glass. It has an unconditional lifetime warranty which does not even require registration. It will outperform the BN for about the same price especially in transmission and CA control because of the higher quality glass. The BN is a like an old classic car. It is cool looking and built well but it will not perform like the newer binoculars with HD glass. You are buying an old classic and that is fine if you are into classics but if you want the best optical performance for your money get something newer. If you like Leica have you considered the new Trinovid? One can be had for almost the same as what you are paying for an 18 year old binocular. As the other poster said I would seriously worry about the seals on a binocular that has been sitting around in a box possibly at high temperatures for that long. Rubber gets old and loses it's flexibility. Here is a brand new Leica Trinovid with HD glass for not much more than you are paying for the old one. Offer him $800.00. They ship to Canada. Allbinos has the Leica 10x42 BN's ranked 23rd place so they think there are a lot of binoculars that are superior.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

https://www.allbinos.com/148-binoculars_review-Leica_Trinovid_10x42_BN.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-8x32...id+8x32+hd&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Last edited:
I have to say that if it was me I'd buy them. You can always sell them if you change your mind and buy something modern instead. A new modern bin will always be available, but you may well regret letting these slip away if you don't get them.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back