• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Just a thought, Zeiss Victory 8X25 FL Pocket. Eye relief and handling seem to be better than the average pocket bins and close to a 8x32 (according to some members here) and still very lightweight.

I can confirm they are an outstanding pair of binoculars. Very compact, if not quite pocketable like a Leica 8x20, and almost as good as the Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD for a fraction of the weight and price, which is why I sold off my Leica 8x32 UV HD.

Price probably on the higher side of what you would like to pay but they might be worth considering.

Just wait for the inevitable Optics Planet sale, as I did.

I can confirm they are an outstanding pair of binoculars. Very compact, if not quite pocketable like a Leica 8x20, and almost as good as the Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD for a fraction of the weight and price, which is why I sold off my Leica 8x32 UV HD.

Just wait for the inevitable Optics Planet sale, as I did.

What were they on sale for when you got them? =)

What were they on sale for when you got them? =)

Sorry to butt in, but I bought my Zeiss Victory 8x25 from SportOptics when they were running a 13% off coupon. That brought the price down from $750 to $652. I ordered from them by phone because I was out of town and wanted to coordinate the shipping with my expected arrival home. They were knowledgeable about the binocular and helpful.

I would not be surprised to see regular though not continuous 10-15% discounts either through Zeiss or vendor by vendor.

Alan

P.S. I cannot claim to be free of ownership bias. I obviously really like these little binoculars, but owners of the new Swarovski 8x30 CL seem to really like them as well.

Sorry to butt in, but I bought my Zeiss Victory 8x25 from SportOptics when they were running a 13% off coupon. That brought the price down from $750 to $652. I ordered from them by phone because I was out of town and wanted to coordinate the shipping with my expected arrival home. They were knowledgeable about the binocular and helpful.

I would not be surprised to see regular though not continuous 10-15% discounts either through Zeiss or vendor by vendor.

Alan

P.S. I cannot claim to be free of ownership bias. I obviously really like these little binoculars, but owners of the new Swarovski 8x30 CL seem to really like them as well.

The Swarovski 8x30CL is a fair bit bigger than the victory pocket, i dont think they compare directly. The 8x30CLs are 50g heavier than the opticron 8x32s travelers!.

That said it would be interesting if you are able to compare the victory pocket to the 8x30CLs =) perhaps the image quality could be closer to your 9x45s!

Last edited:
My current shortlist, I think I would have to try as many of them as possible before deciding!

Nikon MHG 8x42 ($850, 17.8mm, 435ft fov 665g) (ebay)

Swarovski 8x30 CL Companion ($1159, 396ft fov, 16mm ER, 490g)
  • Possibly available locally
  • Built very well, except diopter adjustment may be abit fiddly
  • SV 8x32 better but not worth twice the cost of the 8x30s

Zeiss Victory 8X25 FL Pocket ($750, 393ft, 16.5mm ER, 290g)

Hawke frontier ED-X 8x42 ($410 18mm, 426ft fov, 692g)
  • Not available locally (have to buy blind)
  • Good buy for the money
  • May not be as good as the 8x30 CL Companion
  • Similar optically to the Canon IS 10x42
  • Better than the Tract Toric 10x42, Zenray Prime, Vanguard Endeavor II 10x42, Nikon Monarch 7 10x30, Zenray Ed3 8x43 (Thanks Gary58!)
Opticron Traveller BGA ED 8x32 ($409, 429ft, 19mm ER, 450g)
  • Not available locally (have to buy blind)
  • Good buy for the money
  • Very wide FOV for a 8x32

Last edited:
The Swarovski 8x30CL is a fair bit bigger than the victory pocket, i dont think they compare directly. The 8x30CLs are 50g heavier than the opticron 8x32s travelers!.

That said it would be interesting if you are able to compare the victory pocket to the 8x30CLs =) perhaps the image quality could be closer to your 9x45s!
I mentioned the Swarovski 8x30 because it is of a similar generation by a respected manufacturer going after a similar market, and it has been well reviewed here recently. I agree that there are significant differences in specs, but frankly in terms of specs, your list of candidates is still rather broad.

I chose the Zeiss 8x25 partly because of form factor (single offset hinge, lighter weight, more compact), and partly because of comments by several reviewers whom I have come to trust. And by trust, I'm really just saying that the subjective opinion of some reviews better match my subjective experience than others. I am certain that some will prefer the Swaro 8x30 and I have no doubt it is a fine binocular. However, the Zeiss 8x25 has more than met my expectations, and I am no longer shopping.

Alan

My current shortlist, I think I would have to try as many of them as possible before deciding!

Nikon MHG 8x42 ($850, 17.8mm, 435ft fov 665g) (ebay)

Swarovski 8x30 CL Companion ($1159, 396ft fov, 16mm ER, 490g)

Zeiss Victory 8X25 FL Pocket ($750, 393ft, 16.5mm ER, 290g)

Hawke frontier ED-X 8x42 ($410 18mm, 426ft fov, 692g)

Opticron Traveller BGA ED 8x32 ($409, 429ft, 19mm ER, 450g)

All sound choices. Keep in mind binoculars should last decades, and whether you will be able to have them serviced locally.

For the Swarovski 8x30 CL B, make sure it is the new and much improved "B" version, not the older one.

FWIW, I briefly tried both the Swarovski 8x30 CL B and the Zeiss 8x25 side by side at Selfridges in London, and couldn't see that much of a difference. Certainly the Swarovski didn't feel work 2x the weight and price.

All sound choices. Keep in mind binoculars should last decades, and whether you will be able to have them serviced locally.

For the Swarovski 8x30 CL B, make sure it is the new and much improved "B" version, not the older one.

FWIW, I briefly tried both the Swarovski 8x30 CL B and the Zeiss 8x25 side by side at Selfridges in London, and couldn't see that much of a difference. Certainly the Swarovski didn't feel work 2x the weight and price.
fazalmajid, it's interesting that Selfridges sounds a good place to try them out. Obviously a good idea to form one's own opinion as you said, and especially when 'upgrade-itis' is otherwise likely and individual 'fit' is so important, while stats and reviews can't tell the full story.

aCuria, may I recommend first trying to identify the best view you can, in any size and at any price, to see how much of that you want or need to sacrifice for the sake of the factors: price, size, weight, and ease with spectacles? As above my own compromise led to the Kenko ultraVIEW EX OP 8X32 DH II (Sightron clone) because it was virtually as good as the others at 8x magnification and I could generally see no real improvement at 10x. Most of those, but not all, were indeed harder to use because of their 'shake' penalty, as you found with your existing binoculars.

e.g. I used to have Nikon SE 8x30 and 10x35 which were too hard to see through but I now mainly use Meopta 12x50 HD (discovered in typo's review here) in spite of their weight, in place of the Kenko. This is simply because for me it provides the ultimate view, with its generous image and superb sharpness, clarity, and detail. I can even hold them still, for a short time, with one hand :)

I guess that in the end you might also find that the size of whatever you choose is not as crucial as the ease of use and, most important of all, the view itself.

Last edited:
aCuria, may I recommend first trying to identify the best view you can, in any size and at any price, to see how much of that you want or need to sacrifice for the sake of the factors: price, size, weight, and ease with spectacles?

I guess that in the end you might also find that the size of whatever you choose is not as crucial as the ease of use and, most important of all, the view itself.

This is sound advice, and I will certainly keep it in mind. I have a suspicion that for larger bins, they may not go far from the car!

However for hikes, the camera will probably take priority over the bins

I tried the victory pocket, victory HT 8x42, victory SF 8x42, terra 8x42, conquest 8x42, swaro 8x30b, 8x30, 10x30, sv 8x42, EL 8x32

The victory 8x42 SF is by far the best... ><“

8x32 EL > 8x30b, the eye placement is easier
I diddnt like the 8x42 SLC as much, I seemed to get more blackouts

Last edited:
I tried the victory pocket, victory HT 8x42, victory SF 8x42, terra 8x42, conquest 8x42, swaro 8x30b, 8x30, 10x30, sv 8x42, EL 8x32

The victory 8x42 SF is by far the best... ><“

8x32 EL > 8x30b, the eye placement is easier
I diddnt like the 8x42 SLC as much, I seemed to get more blackouts

A smaller bin will always be a compromise to some extent.

If you are getting into that price and size range I would also try the Leica Ultravid HD-Plus 8x42 and perhaps even the 7x42. More compact than SF, warmer color rendition, but perhaps not as spectacular FOV.

But you never know with bins, some just don't fit and some you like better.

A smaller bin will always be a compromise to some extent.

If you are getting into that price and size range I would also try the Leica Ultravid HD-Plus 8x42 and perhaps even the 7x42. More compact than SF, warmer color rendition, but perhaps not as spectacular FOV.

But you never know with bins, some just don't fit and some you like better.

The noctivid / ultravid 8x42 / 7x42 are only available here through special order I’m afraid, I have no way to try them locally at this point, and it’s probably not a good idea to spend this much blind.

Having tried many bins today, I think that having a “walk-in” view and easy eye placement is important to me. I was getting more blackout on the smaller bins.

I am going to pen down my thoughts on all the bins I tried, perhaps it would be useful for someone

The bins are roughly order of what I liked the best

Victory SF 8x42
- The SFs are on another level to me, looking through them is like having a window into another world. It is very bright and has a huge apparent FOV, much larger than the Victory HT and Zeiss conquest. Images were contrasty and sharp, perhaps the edge may not be as pin sharp on the edges compared to the swaro 8x42, but when the FOV is this big, I dont find myself looking at the extreme edges. When I looked through this, I knew I would never be happy with the 8x32 EL or the 8x30CL =/ That said, I do think the build quality on the Swaro 8x32 EL feels better than the Victory. Maybe its the texture of the armor and the locking diopter. The Swaro has a much more intelligent way to attach the objective covers to the bin, I am not sure how the zeiss one is supposed to work (it has a little string attached, but where does the string go?)

Victory HT 8x42
- The images from these bins were really good, however in terms of apparent FOV the Victory SF really takes the cake. I much preferred the SF, expecially since the price is almost the same.

Zeiss conquest 8x42
- I did not spend that much time on these, I only looked through them after the SF... they are much much brighter than the Zeiss Terra ED 8x42, but the FOV and AFOV is significantly worse than the SF

Swaro 8x32 EL
- I liked this bin the best among the Swaro's I tried, the view was more slightly more relaxed than the 8x30 and the build quality seemed the best to me of all the bins I tried. I did not test it for flare though, and some other reviewers have mentioned that this bin does not handle flare well at all. I am not sure this is worth the extra money over the 8x30, they really are quite closely matched.

Swaro 8x30b CL companion "B"
- I spent some time comparing the 8x30CL to the 8x32 EL and the Swaro 8x42. given the price, this bin comes very close optically to the 8x32EL. The main difference to me is that 1) it has a narrower field of view and 2) eye placement was easier on the 8x32EL

Swaro 8x42 (non-EL)
- I'm not sure why, but I did not like these that much. It has nothing to do with the optics or the build quality - my arms simply got tired real fast when using them, and had some difficulty with eye placement. That said, the build quality on the 8x42 is certainly a step up from the 8x30CL (the diopter control is much better) I found eye placement harder on the 8x42s than the 8x32EL

Swaro 8x30 CL (the old one)
- They were on sale, but the new ones seem better. I did not spend too much time on these.

Victory pocket 8x25
- I am not too sure about the Victory pocket. On one hand, the view through it given its size is quite good, and I can certainly see them beating out bins like the Minox 8x42 BR, Nikon Monarch 7 8x32 and Zeiss Terra ED 8x42. However, I did find it harder hold steady given the weight, and the zeiss conquest will beat this handily in terms of both optics and build quality. I preferred the view from the swaro 8x30CL than that from the victory pocket.

Minox 8x42 BR
- The Minox felt pretty good in hand, and had a smooth focusing ring that I quite liked. I think its a good value for money. It is not as good both in terms of optics and build quality as the Swaro 8x30 companions, but beats the vortex Diamondback 8x42 by a mile in terms of build quality

Nikon Monarch 7 8x32
- This is a decent bin, and I probably would have been happy with it had I not looked through the 8x30 companions, which beat it quite easily.

Zeiss Terra ED 8x42
- Despite being a 42mm bin, the view from the Terra ED was noticably darker and "veiled" than the Zeiss conquest 8x42, and the focus knob was rather stiff and hard to turn quickly. I did not directly compare this to the Monarch 7 or the Minox, but I think I prefer the minox

Vortex Diamondback 8x42 Binocular
- There was something about the focusing system on this one that I really disliked, it felt very "mushy"

Vortex Raptor 8.5x32 Binocular
- These bins did not have enough eye relief for use with glasses, and the view was worse than both the Diamondback 8x42 and the Minox 8x42 BR. I cannot reccomend it.

Swaro 10x30 CL companion "B"
- It is not fair to compare this to the others, because its a 10x. After looking through these, I was certain I wanted a 7x or 8x bin. It was not easy to hold steady given the higher magnification and the egronomics of the design.

Last edited:
I am going to pen down my thoughts on all the bins I tried, perhaps it would be useful for someone
<snip>

This will be useful both for your impressions and as an example—comparing several binoculars side by side is very important in determining your specific needs and preferences.

Thanks for comparing and thanks for taking the time to write up your impressions.

Alan

This will be useful both for your impressions and as an example—comparing several binoculars side by side is very important in determining your specific needs and preferences.

Thanks for comparing and thanks for taking the time to write up your impressions.

Alan

You are welcome =) It was no trouble, I wouldn’t have been able to identify which bins to look for if not for the advice given here. I think there are precious few comparative reviews here and we need more. Preferably all reviews would be a comparative one, so we know how one bin fares against a known value

aCuria, may I recommend first trying to identify the best view you can, in any size and at any price, to see how much of that you want or need to sacrifice for the sake of the factors: price, size, weight, and ease with spectacles? As above my own compromise led to the Kenko ultraVIEW EX OP 8X32 DH II (Sightron clone) because it was virtually as good as the others at 8x magnification and I could generally see no real improvement at 10x. Most of those, but not all, were indeed harder to use because of their 'shake' penalty, as you found with your existing binoculars.

e.g. I used to have Nikon SE 8x30 and 10x35 which were too hard to see through but I now mainly use Meopta 12x50 HD (discovered in typo's review here) in spite of their weight, in place of the Kenko. This is simply because for me it provides the ultimate view, with its generous image and superb sharpness, clarity, and detail. I can even hold them still, for a short time, with one hand :)

I think this is very good advice, “first trying to identify the best view you can, in any size and at any price, to see how much of that you want or need to sacrifice”.

It’s interesting you ended up with a 12x, I have a feeling I won’t be able to hand-hold those easily, the 10x30cl was hard enough!

The bins I used previously are fortunately not mine. Now that I have tried more bins, I find them extremely poor - worse than anything else I tried. They were “zoom” binoculars, perhaps something like 6-12x and produced a fuzzy image.

...It’s interesting you ended up with a 12x, I have a feeling I won’t be able to hand-hold those easily, the 10x30cl was hard enough!''...
Yes several 10Xs were too shaky but did not compensate with more detail, unlike the Meopta 12x, which is exceptionally sharp and colourful but not too shaky. The Kenko 8x is really just as sharp but its wider field just can't compete with the size of the Meopta's Image and I can't find much to dislike about either.

I have not been able to try a good selection locally so have instead enjoyed buying quite a few of various sizes to compare them. I concluded that my main criteria are resolution, colour, and precise focus. On the whole in the 'satisfactory' category the differences were insignificant, but with growing experience there were a lot more in 'unsatisfactory'!

Up to and including the mid range, quality control has not been good, except for the 4 sightron clones; I kept the Kenko and gave away the others because I thought they were so good. As for the rest I just returned the faulty ones and sold the good'uns on eBay, unfortunately not many for a profit. It has been fun and at least I don't have a huge collection.

fazalmajid, it's interesting that Selfridges sounds a good place to try them out. Obviously a good idea to form one's own opinion as you said, and especially when 'upgrade-itis' is otherwise likely and individual 'fit' is so important, while stats and reviews can't tell the full story.

Selfridges has a more than decent selection of premium binoculars (Zeiss, Swarovski, Nikon EDG, Leica) under a single roof. There are no good high-end sports optics stores in San Francisco any more (not even bad ones :), so I took advantage of a brief layover in London (apparently the Brits are much more avid birdwatchers than Americans, and it shows). I only spent 5 minutes or so in the basement, far from optimal viewing conditions, so take my observations with a large grain of salt.

Last edited:
The bins are roughly order of what I liked the best

Victory SF 8x42
- The SFs are on another level to me, looking through them is like having a window into another world. It is very bright and has a huge apparent FOV, much larger than the Victory HT and Zeiss conquest. Images were contrasty and sharp, perhaps the edge may not be as pin sharp on the edges compared to the swaro 8x42, but when the FOV is this big, I dont find myself looking at the extreme edges. When I looked through this, I knew I would never be happy with the 8x32 EL or the 8x30CL =/ That said, I do think the build quality on the Swaro 8x32 EL feels better than the Victory. Maybe its the texture of the armor and the locking diopter. The Swaro has a much more intelligent way to attach the objective covers to the bin, I am not sure how the zeiss one is supposed to work (it has a little string attached, but where does the string go?)

The logical comparison would be the Swarovski EL Swarovision 8.5x42, the binocular the Zeiss SF was specifically designed to compete with, or the Nikon EDG 8x42.

From all reports the EL SV is sharper to the edge, but the SF has less rolling ball, a wider FOV and arguably better ergonomics.

Sadly, I've never had the opportunity to try the SF side by side with my EL SV, or even by itself—for whatever reason there are no high-end sports optics stores left in San Francisco since Scope City closed about a decade ago. Odd. given how rich this city is, and so close to nature.

What did you end up getting?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back