• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Building a Better Binocular Mount (1 Viewer)

Hi Jerry,

It would be very interesting to see what each of you could do about the challenge of holding heavy binoculars steady for extended periods. Can either of you think of a way to go beyond tripods, mono pods, shoulder stocks and image stabilization?

Spontaneously, I'd think that an A frame resting on a hip belt might help as it relieves you from much of the weight of the heavy binoculars. In practice, it might be a bit of an inverted Y frame with a folding link at the junction to facilitate carrying:

Binocular_Rig.png

I'm not really familiar with video camera rigs, but I believe they mainly serve to avoid tilting and bobbing during movements of the camera man, which might be a different kind of stabilization than what we're looking for.

Regards,

Henning

Henning,
Yes, there are many versions of gimbal based stabilizers which are designed to yield stable images while the camera and/operator are in motion. What I have in mind is something simpler. I’ve attached an example of a basic shoulder rig designed to simply help support the camera and attached rig.

I like the belt idea but I always have to fuss with the height adjustment when I use a monopod. Your sketch(?) sort of looks like a belt with a short monopod extended to the belt instead of the ground. What would happen when the bird flies upward? Or, in language from my long past career - it looks stable in yaw, but not so much in pitch or roll.

Thanks for taking the time,
Jerry

Attachments

• 82A686F6-D35D-4D17-BA45-10E6F07BE806.jpg
    82A686F6-D35D-4D17-BA45-10E6F07BE806.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 165
Hi Jerry,

What I have in mind is something simpler. I’ve attached an example of a basic shoulder rig designed to simply help support the camera and attached rig.

That rig basically halves the angular sight line excursions from symmetric or asymmetric hand shake. It requires the operator to hold out both arms to the front. It looks like the battery pack in the back serves as counterweight to relieve some of the load of the camera weight supported by the arms. I'm not sure this transfers well to our application.

The rig in my sketch reduces the weight supported by the hands proportional z
to the cosine of the support angle (70 degrees in my sketch) and allows the upper arms to be rested against the body, as in normal binocular viewing. As the rig is braced in yaw and roll, there's only the pitch axis that's only semi-braced, by pressing the binoculars against the eyes (again, as in normal viewing).

Tracking in pitch would rely on leaning back/fore. In yaw, by legwork. I don't think roll tracking is of much interest.

You could of course mount a fluid head to the rig, but as the braced character of the rig requires the pivot point to be your eye, that doesn't make any sense.

So we have two very different concepts here.

Regards,

Henning

Hi again,

That rig basically halves the angular sight line excursions from symmetric or asymmetric hand shake. It requires the operator to hold out both arms to the front.

Looking at it again on a bigger screen, the posture actually looks a bit more relaxed than I thought at first. Perhaps it could in fact be used for binoculars too.

Regards,

Henning

Hi Jerry,

Henning,
Yes, there are many versions of gimbal based stabilizers which are designed to yield stable images while the camera and/operator are in motion. What I have in mind is something simpler. I’ve attached an example of a basic shoulder rig designed to simply help support the camera and attached rig.

It seems that there are a couple of printable designs already available on Thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?sort=relevant&q=shoulder+rig&type=things&dwh=665b5af784436b8

Regards,

Henning

Henning,

I’ve attached an image from thingverse that is closest to my thoughts. The major difference between the image and my idea is single handle in front rather than two leaving one hand free for focusing. So shoulder and one arm (braced against chest) would carry weight of binocular.

I’ve also attached an image of something vaguely like your idea.

Finally, for the sake of completeness, an image of binocular mount style popular with astronomy hobbyists.

Do you think there are any other approaches to the problem or is it just a matter of refining one of these?

Very best,
Jerry

Attachments

• A18594A1-72BA-47AE-93ED-D17E20E8F86E.jpeg
    A18594A1-72BA-47AE-93ED-D17E20E8F86E.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 27
  • BFC5825E-683C-4294-A4E4-2D0CEDD416E0.jpeg
    BFC5825E-683C-4294-A4E4-2D0CEDD416E0.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 5B5569C4-DA03-41F8-B271-48335ED62B5B.jpg
    5B5569C4-DA03-41F8-B271-48335ED62B5B.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 94
Hi Jerry,

Do you think there are any other approaches to the problem or is it just a matter of refining one of these?

There's also this version on Thingiverse, which hooks behind the shoulders and braces against the chest (or belly):

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2065904

Since the basic idea is not to support the binoculars on a tripod resting on the ground, they are going to have to be supported by the body somehow.

Equipment is usually carried on a hip belt, on the shoulders, or on webbing supported by hips and shoulders, so I'd expect that the number of possibe solutions to our problem is limited. I believe helicopter pilots also use helmet-mounted night vision goggles, and it should be possible to support binoculars in a similar way.

The "monopod in a pouch" variant in your post looks very economic (though not terribly ergonomic). However, I think with two pouches like that and two cheap selfie sticks (with 1/4" heads), it should be possible to create a "double brace" variant with minimal effort.

Regards,

Henning

Hi Jerry,

There is of course active stabilisation.

I'm not quite sure why we don't see more of this ... perhaps binocular users are too small group with too conservative a mindset, technologically.

Here's a video demonstrating a $50, external 2-axis stabilizer for use with smartphones:

https://youtu.be/BhoIVMi4X7A?t=130

(The first part of the video instructs the user how to mount the phone so that it's properly mass-balanced.)

For binoculars, you obviously need a beefier version, and a better way of controlling desired pitch changes. The kinematics might be a bit more demanding due to the need to position the eyes close to the eyepieces even when the binoculars move.

Clearly, you can build a superior product by embedding the stabilization in purpose-designed optics, but I'm not convinced externally stabilizing traditional binoculars wouldn't work just fine too, if you're ready to accept the aditional bulk and weight.

Regards,

Henning

Hi Jerry,

There is of course active stabilisation.

I'm not quite sure why we don't see more of this ... perhaps binocular users are too small group with too conservative a mindset, technologically.
Regards,

Henning

Henning,
I may have been premature in my rejection of more active measures :>)
See this page - by looking at the price levels you get a good overview of the technology.

Best,
Jerry
https://www.omnicoreagency.com/best-dslr-camera-gimbal-stabilizers/

Moin!

Do I understand it correctly that it consists of a (prismatic) U in which you insert the central cylinder of the hinge, then fix it with a nut engaging the outer diameter thread?

Regards,

Henning

You are correct, dear Henning, that my adapter grips the bino at its bending bar (obviously new binos still fitted so getting rare these days) by means of its V-shaped notch bottom and a wing nut.

The Kern Focalpin shown, has quite small Porro1 prisms, possible due to its special optical concept. So at least here is sufficient space in between the two prism housings.

The threaded part has been cut off from an insulator as used for electric fencing around pastures.

Due to the coarse thread the bino is fitted or taken off so fast, that a quick coupling plate is superfluous, as well as a separate tilting head, its function being already integrated.

Best regards

Hans

Hi Hans,

Due to the coarse thread the bino is fitted or taken off so fast, that a quick coupling plate is superfluous, as well as a separate tilting head, its function being already integrated.

Smart design :) As a solution for Porro-prism binoculars, it nicely complements Kevin's approach, which is mainly aimed at roof-prism binoculars.

Here's another adapter, based on a design another Thingiverse user created:

P1300728s.jpg

It's very light (13 g) and the binoculars can just be snapped into place, but it needs to be accurately tailored to the specific set of binoculars.

It can be downloaded from here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2814185

Regards,

Henning

Habichtmount

Hi. I thought I would share this with you.

I am very happy with this little thing. I've never had a mount before so I am amazed at how the resolution really comes alive, even at "only" 8x. Another thing I have found is that I can hold the binoculars more steady freehanded when the "adapter" is mounted to the binoculars. I get a better grip around it all, more relaxed. I have quite large hands so that might be it. Really makes a noticeable difference though.

Made from a piece of salvaged Teak, a 2.6 mm recycled neopren mousemat (gentle on the Habicht's fine exterior) and some screws, mounting plate and bungee cords.

I am not really happy with the cords. The spring is a bit stiff. I'll keep a look out for something better, but in the meantime these will work out just fine. The mount is made for my specific IPD but it can be adjusted sligthly.

Except for a battery drill I had no powertools to work with. Old fashion carpenters saw, a round rasp file, small block plane and sandpaper. Really easy to make and a great addition to any binocular.

Attachments

• Perspective - Side.jpg
    Perspective - Side.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 139
  • Top Front.jpg
    Top Front.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Bottom w arca swiss.jpg
    Bottom w arca swiss.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 120
A few pictures

Attachments

• 20190324_182836.jpg
    20190324_182836.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 135
  • 20190324_182724.jpg
    20190324_182724.jpg
    872 KB · Views: 128
  • 20190324_182641.jpg
    20190324_182641.jpg
    866 KB · Views: 133
  • 20190324_181944.jpg
    20190324_181944.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 149
  • 20190324_182015.jpg
    20190324_182015.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 145
Hi,

Made from a piece of salvaged Teak, a 2.6 mm recycled neopren mousemat (gentle on the Habicht's fine exterior) and some screws, mounting plate and bungee cords.

Looks beautiful and elegant at the same time! Very nice solution, the padding looks really professional - creative use of an old mousepad, I'm impressed! :)

I specifically bought some shock chord for my adapters that's thinner than the usual bungees, and not as stiff. It's also black, which I thing is an aesthetical bonus. If you're interested, I could look up the exact specifications - it's only some ordinary camping supply from amazon, but it turned out to be just right for the job.

Regards,

Henning

You did a great job, well done. Thanks for posting.

A mount like yours is very stable, and they really do add to viewing.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back