• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DSLR vs digiscoping (1 Viewer)

I am not a keen or experienced photographer, but my wife is and so we have a series of digital cameras knocking around, getting better every time she's upgraded. Now she has a Pentax istD DSLR, and has bought a Sigma 300 mm zoom. The camera is 5 or 6 megapixels, I think. There is also a no longer used Canon PowerShot S30, which she says is 3 megapixels.

I have a good scope - a Televid 62 - and I've been thinking I might try and take some pictures of birds. I found the DSLR and the 300 mm lens a bit disappointing - not as powerful as 8X binoculars. I've been thinking instead of trying to attach one of the two cameras to the scope, and I wondered if you had any thoughts on what might be possible or good.

Some comments on BirdForum suggest DSLRs and scopes don't go well together, but didn't elucidate. And I'm not even sure if an adapter exits that would do the trick. But the idea of a powerful camera and a good scope is attractive, to my wife as well for other kinds of photography.

So, what thoughts does anyone have on what way I should try and start out with this from the equipment we already have or by adding an adapter to it?

Phillip,I think the general view is that compact cams are more conducive to digiscoping than SLR's.But,many people do use SLR's for digiscoping and achieve good results.If you can find an adaptor which is compatible for your Canon Powershot,why not give it a try.Or why not make an adaptor.It is only a piece of tubing which attaches cam to scope so that no light can penetrate.

I think you may find the Powershot S30 more suitable for digiscoping. The smaller diameter lenses, 3x optical zoom, live LCD preview and small small size of compact cameras all lend themselves to digiscoping. If you have a steady hand just try holding the camera up to the eyepiece - many people use that technique all of the time.

To use a DSLR you need to either use the body alone with a photo adapter or use a 50mm lens - either way it's a large heavy bulky affair and neither allows for the 2-3x optical zoom of a compact camera. The view through the viewfinder is dark and requires long exposure times. You can get decent results but using a compact camera is far easier.

A compact camera with higher MP, preferably with a quality lens and a means of mounting it to the camera is I think still preferable.

Thank you both for the advice.

I'll give the Canon a go and I'm sure I'll be asking lots of stupid questions! (Such as to my wife just now - How do I turn this on?

I know there's lots of advice in these forums though, so the answers may well be there already.

Phillip

IanF said:
I think you may find the Powershot S30 more suitable for digiscoping. The smaller diameter lenses, 3x optical zoom, live LCD preview and small small size of compact cameras all lend themselves to digiscoping. If you have a steady hand just try holding the camera up to the eyepiece - many people use that technique all of the time.

To use a DSLR you need to either use the body alone with a photo adapter or use a 50mm lens - either way it's a large heavy bulky affair and neither allows for the 2-3x optical zoom of a compact camera. The view through the viewfinder is dark and requires long exposure times. You can get decent results but using a compact camera is far easier.

A compact camera with higher MP, preferably with a quality lens and a means of mounting it to the camera is I think still preferable.

Keep in mind though that digiscoping is limited to static/almost static objects.
Shots like this sample - can't be done with a digiscoping setup.
The picture was taken at Gamla, in the Golan Heights, northern Israel - where eagles and vultures are nesting in nature.
I've used a 500mm/4 lens + an x1.4 TC, resulting in 700mm focal length.
For the static shots of the nests, I used digiscoping.

Attachments

• dsc72908f.jpg
    dsc72908f.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 385
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back