• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony DSC-T100 or T20 (2 Viewers)

tedk

Does anyone have any experience of either the Sony DSC-T100 or T20 as a digiscoping camera. Superficially they seem to be very similar designs to the highly praised Samsung NV3, but I am not sure what the potential pitfalls of this type of camera might be. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have read on other threads that a 5X zoom (such as the T100 has) would be no good for digiscoping. Do the problems with 5X zoom also occur when the zoom mechanism is entirely within the camera body, or only when the lens protrudes beyond the camera body.

Last edited:
Hi tedk, I am not familiar with the mentioned camera's, but I have a 5x zoom, Sony 717, and with a standard Spotting scope it is next to useless for digiscoping. But I have an 80mm Refracter Scope which take 2" eyepieces, and have found an eyepiece that will allow the long zoom cameras to be used. Ernie

Thanks Ernie. The 717 has a big lens with a 58mm filter thread. I am wondering if a 5x zoom on a much smaller lens might be OK assuming the front element can be positioned close to the eyepiece, but I am not entirely sure how these things work. Cheers.
Ted

Hi Tedk!
My first experience with Digiscoping, had been with a Sony DSC T-1, which have an excellent lens. However, as don’t have tripod socket, I had decided to try the W Series with a W-12 from a friend, that have the same lenses, and after my firsts experiences, it had convince me…the quality was similar. So now, I’m thinking in another camera, and I had thought too in the T-20, because seems me the more adequate for Digiscoping of the T Series ( 5x of the T-100 is too much to Digiscoping as everybody teach ). However, the W-55 that have the same lens, or the Fuji F-31 ( or the both ) could be my future option. They look me well priced, fantastic and more easier to be directly adapted to the scope adapter, this one maybe more efficient and easy to use than the Universal adapter I have. But I’m a neophyte, and you certainly will be better advised. Make the best choice, and I which you great pictures.
Cheers
Cabangu

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back