• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two hummingbirds from central Andes Colombia (1 Viewer)

I don't have a Colombia guidebook handy (travelling) but have ideas and am happy to look into this more and help when I get home.

Can you give a more specific location, and can you crop the 2nd picture less so the tail is visible?

I don't have a Colombia guidebook handy (travelling) but have ideas and am happy to look into this more and help when I get home.

Can you give a more specific location, and can you crop the 2nd picture less so the tail is visible?

Thanks that is all of the tail that shows on the photo. Central Andes very near Salento Colombia, closes city Armenia.

Isn't the first an Amazilia, possibly Andean Emerald?

Niels

Andean emerald: That's what I think. The only point against it is the all-black bill. However, a quick glance at the pics ebird thinks are representative shows a male with an all-dark bill. There's really nothing else with that greenish blue and pure white combination.

For the other, I think we might have white-vented plumeleteer with a slightly atypical bill. I might be dreaming, but I think we can see some of the white vent in the photo.

(As far as possible, I find it best to keep my books on my phone. Obviously a hassle with digitising the old ones)

Last edited:
Andean emerald: That's what I think. The only point against it is the all-black bill. However, a quick glance at the pics ebird thinks are representative shows a male with an all-dark bill. There's really nothing else with that greenish blue and pure white combination.

For the other, I think we might have white-vented plumeleteer with a slightly atypical bill. I might be dreaming, but I think we can see some of the white vent in the photo.

(As far as possible, I find it best to keep my books on my phone. Obviously a hassle with digitising the old ones)

Thanks

1 Andean Emerald
2 It looks a Steely-vented Hummingbird to me, but it is difficult to be completely sure with just this pic.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back