Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

SLC. Is this normal?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 16:03   #1
Gray C
Newbie birder
 
Gray C's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Preston on the Hill Cheshire UK
Posts: 47
SLC. Is this normal?

Whenever I don't use glasses (not often) I've noticed a slight yellow/green ring around the very outer edge of the field of view. Is this normal, or is it my eyes, or is there a possible fault with the binoculars?

Thanks for any advice
Gray C is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 21:37   #2
tenex
Registered User
 
tenex's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 903
Safe to say not normal... Which SLC model, and is the ring seen while using it normally, or while looking at it from some distance above or to the side? (There have been a couple of reports like that recently with other models.) Is the ring uniform or more partial, and is it the same in both tubes, and in different viewing conditions?
tenex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 21:49   #3
18000bph
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 138
Can you move the eye cups in more and get your eyes closer without causing blackouts? I have never used SLC but have had a similar issue with other brands. In every case, it goes away if I cram the eye pieces deeper into my eye sockets. I posted a while ago in the general forum about it and didn't get any answers.
18000bph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 23:49   #4
SeldomPerched
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: England
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray C View Post
Whenever I don't use glasses (not often) I've noticed a slight yellow/green ring around the very outer edge of the field of view. Is this normal, or is it my eyes, or is there a possible fault with the binoculars?

Thanks for any advice
Is this 8x42 SLC you have, Gray? The same model you've mentioned to me recently?

Tom
SeldomPerched is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 07:12   #5
BoldenEagle
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Finland
Posts: 33
Hi,

I have slc 10x56 bins and I can see faint yellowish ring at the very outer edge of image. If I lift eyecups too much, the ring becomes more centered.

I'm using eyeglasses and when I get the whole fov, also the ring is furthest in the edges and so it doesn't bother me. Some other binoculars have this same thing happening and if you can't get your eye close enough, the ring will be more visible in the image center.

Juhani
BoldenEagle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 17:06   #6
Gray C
Newbie birder
 
Gray C's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Preston on the Hill Cheshire UK
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomPerched View Post
Is this 8x42 SLC you have, Gray? The same model you've mentioned to me recently?

Tom
Hi Tom

Yes it is the same pair of 8x42 bought 2019

It's not really a problem and I don't really notice is so much with glasses on
Gray C is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 17:08   #7
Gray C
Newbie birder
 
Gray C's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Preston on the Hill Cheshire UK
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldenEagle View Post
Hi,

I have slc 10x56 bins and I can see faint yellowish ring at the very outer edge of image. If I lift eyecups too much, the ring becomes more centered.

I'm using eyeglasses and when I get the whole fov, also the ring is furthest in the edges and so it doesn't bother me. Some other binoculars have this same thing happening and if you can't get your eye close enough, the ring will be more visible in the image center.

Juhani

So it seems it's a common thing with the SLCs?
Gray C is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 17:11   #8
Gray C
Newbie birder
 
Gray C's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Preston on the Hill Cheshire UK
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18000bph View Post
Can you move the eye cups in more and get your eyes closer without causing blackouts? I have never used SLC but have had a similar issue with other brands. In every case, it goes away if I cram the eye pieces deeper into my eye sockets. I posted a while ago in the general forum about it and didn't get any answers.

I can try what you have suggested without glasses on, but 90% of the time I wear glasses so the eyecups are fully in
Gray C is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 17:33   #9
BoldenEagle
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Finland
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray C View Post
So it seems it's a common thing with the SLCs?
Well, I can just confirm that slc 10x56 model may have that kind of ring you descriped. I have tried slc 10x42 also but I don't remember what exactly version it was, it nevertheless had that same kind of ring but it was more centered and thus more annoying. Maybe it had something to do with eye relief also, can't recall.

With 10x56, it's really no problem for me because when eyecups properly positioned, the ring is in the outermost area and in fact the image slc 10x56 provides, is the cleanest and most joyable I have seen. Many other binoculars have those same kind of rings very near image center, which I find very annoying in prolonged watching.

Juhani
BoldenEagle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 2nd July 2020, 14:32   #10
tenex
Registered User
 
tenex's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray C View Post
So it seems it's a common thing with the SLCs?
I think you must mean, using binos with certain eyeglasses? I've never seen it, and can't provoke it even by wearing glasses (as I don't normally) and lowering the eyecups on my SLCs.
tenex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this normal? JPAC Birds & Birding 4 Sunday 30th May 2010 14:35
is this normal? craigthirlwell Bats 2 Friday 24th August 2007 08:40
is this normal? searobin Bird Identification Q&A 9 Friday 5th January 2007 16:14
Is it normal or is it me? Dumfound Opticron 9 Friday 8th September 2006 20:59

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.19874811 seconds with 24 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:07.