Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ?

Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 21:28   #76
John A Roberts

Some images:

a) The forehead rest, from Rob’s link in post #26

b) Rear view, from Instagram
- It clearly shows the forehead rest attachment points
- The projecting lug to the rear of the focuser is presumedly the diopter adjuster (as can be seen from the image below there is no control on the front face of the bridge)

c) Front view, from Arek’s link in post #27

d) Full length view, from Arek
- I presume that the ‘wasp waist’ shape is possible as all of the focuser mechanism, that’s in the two optical barrels, is forward of the prisms (?)

John

and an additional image from post #63 that clearly shows the shape
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Head Rest.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	731092  Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear View.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	731093  Click image for larger version

Name:	Front View.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	731094  Click image for larger version

Name:	Full length.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	731096  Click image for larger version

Name:	post #63.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	731099  

Last edited by John A Roberts : Tuesday 30th June 2020 at 23:13.
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 21:53   #77
wllmspd

From field sports article..
“ by offering a market-leading 71-degree ‘apparent’ field of view. No detail on why the use of the word ‘apparent’... if they don’t know that then it does question any future reviews. Curious that Swaro reckon 71degree makes the field stops vanish... need more than that!

Peter
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 23:07   #78
SeldomPerched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
Seldomperched, post 6,
I hope that you will not share this message with anybody, but Swarovski succeeded in the production of wave shaped prisms, so light waves can pass them fully in phase.
Gijs van Ginel
I believed that, Gijs... but then I saw you couldn't spell your own name today ;-)

I had a look at the Swarovski site but unless it's the Dg I didn't see anything new. Would I have seen with the wave-shaped prisms, maybe?

All the best,

Tom :-)
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 23:37   #79
SeldomPerched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
I can see EL still selling well despite the introduction of the NL. Only those who have the money and want the very best Swarovski will pay the big bucks for the NL. So maybe they won't even make an NL 32.

I would have been more excited about a new SLC 8x32, but this may never happen when there's already choice of CL 30 or EL 32.
SLC 8x32 for me too, Beth: I think at the moment I like my 42 SLCs best of all, and not just because they are almost all I have with me during these last three months plus of lockdown. I love the view and the handling and the simple functional design. Nice and chunky and compact.

At first glance I'm not sure about the new model but trying it out is everything and I don't dare do so at that price. :-)

Tom
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 23:41   #80
SeldomPerched

Will Swarovski be likely to keep three different models in the 42 class? SLC, EL, and NL Pure.

Tom
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 23:53   #81
elkcub
BF Supporter 2020

Does anyone know the eye relief specs for the new models?
Do they use field flattener lenses?

Ed

Last edited by elkcub : Wednesday 1st July 2020 at 00:01.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 00:31   #82
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
The 'lowish' transmission figure is likely due to the amount of glass required to achieve those large AFov's.

Also Swarovski's never feel 'cheap' in the hand - for that you'll have to grab a Zeiss SF .......

Chosun
Chosun: Do you think you will be able to try any of these you mention?
As in, why ?

Jerry
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 00:42   #83
lmans66
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomPerched View Post
Will Swarovski be likely to keep three different models in the 42 class? SLC, EL, and NL Pure.

Tom
I heard the SLC's are discontinued.... The EL will begin being discounted a few hundred real soon.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 01:15   #84
NDhunter

It is good Swarovski has introduced a new flagship, this was expected.

What is a surprise is the large price increase over anything else. The reviews to come will
be interesting.

Jerry
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 01:59   #85
John A Roberts

Below is the full text from the Fieldsports News post at: https://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/sw...-with-nl-pure/

At this point it seems to be the most comprehensive statement - and several points have already been referred to in earlier posts in this thread

- - - -

Swarovski bets on field of view with NL Pure binos
June 30, 2020

Forget light transmission, forget ease-of-use – they are last year’s optic USPs. Swarovski’s three new binocular launches pushes a new boundary: it’s all about field of view.

With its NL Pure, launched on 1 July 2020, Swarovski wants to immerse you in your view by offering a market-leading 71-degree ‘apparent’ field of view.
No detail on why the use of the word ‘apparent’ but the new binos are a lens system the same as the Swarovski EL, so it is not digital manipulation.

“In the past, we have talked about edge-to-edge sharpness,” says Swarovski spokesman Wolfgang Schwarz. “But there is one thing that’s even better – no edges at all.”

The 8×42 NL Pure field of view is 159 metres at 1,000 metres. The 10×42 offers 20% more field of view that the Swarovski EL 8×42. And, for the first time, Swarovski is offering a 12×42,
an NL Pure that has a field of view with 130 metres at 1,000 metres that beats the EL 10×42’s 112 metres at 1,000 metres.

And did we say forget light transmission, forget ease of use? Forget that. Handling is still a thing. By rotating the prisms to right angles, Swarovski has slimmed down the middle of the tubes.
That helps the NL Pure fit your hands more easily.

Light transmission is 91%, the same as the Leica Geovid and 1 point down on the Zeiss SF.

The NL Pure 8×42 weighs 840g, which is about 10% more than the Zeiss SF 8×42. but more than 10% less than the Leica Geovid 8×42’s hefty 950g.

Shipping begins 1 September 2020. Price is €2,850 in Austria and US$3,299 in the USA for the 8×42.

The NL Pure is not a replacement for the Swarovski EL binoculars – ‘don’t mess with the legend,’ they tell us gravely – but Swarovski staff point out that the new model is better.

- - - -

So beside the specifications, of most interest is:
• The reference to rotating the prisms 90 degrees to enable the more ergonomic design, and

• That the NL is not replacing the EL (and nor presumedly the lower priced SLC)

And it’s probably useful to add:
- The apparent field of view is no mystery, it's the combination of the actual/ angular field of view, together with the effect of the magnification provided by the eyepiece

- Saying that the lens system is the same as the EL, is not saying that the lenses are identical, and

- The listed transmission of 91% is one percent more than that of the EL, and the same as that of the x42 SLC's

John

Last edited by John A Roberts : Wednesday 1st July 2020 at 02:13.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 02:17   #86
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A Roberts View Post
Below is the full text from the Fieldsports News post at: https://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/sw...-with-nl-pure/

At this point it seems to be the most comprehensive statement - and several points have already been referred to in earlier posts in this thread

- - - -

Swarovski bets on field of view with NL Pure binos
June 30, 2020

Forget light transmission, forget ease-of-use – they are last year’s optic USPs. Swarovski’s three new binocular launches pushes a new boundary: it’s all about field of view.

With its NL Pure, launched on 1 July 2020, Swarovski wants to immerse you in your view by offering a market-leading 71-degree ‘apparent’ field of view.
No detail on why the use of the word ‘apparent’ but the new binos are a lens system the same as the Swarovski EL, so it is not digital manipulation.

“In the past, we have talked about edge-to-edge sharpness,” says Swarovski spokesman Wolfgang Schwarz. “But there is one thing that’s even better – no edges at all.”

The 8×42 NL Pure field of view is 159 metres at 1,000 metres. The 10×42 offers 20% more field of view that the Swarovski EL 8×42. And, for the first time, Swarovski is offering a 12×42,
an NL Pure that has a field of view with 130 metres at 1,000 metres that beats the EL 10×42’s 112 metres at 1,000 metres.

And did we say forget light transmission, forget ease of use? Forget that. Handling is still a thing. By rotating the prisms to right angles, Swarovski has slimmed down the middle of the tubes.
That helps the NL Pure fit your hands more easily.

Light transmission is 91%, the same as the Leica Geovid and 1 point down on the Zeiss SF.

The NL Pure 8×42 weighs 840g, which is about 10% more than the Zeiss SF 8×42. but more than 10% less than the Leica Geovid 8×42’s hefty 950g.

Shipping begins 1 September 2020. Price is €2,850 in Austria and US$3,299 in the USA for the 8×42.

The NL Pure is not a replacement for the Swarovski EL binoculars – ‘don’t mess with the legend,’ they tell us gravely – but Swarovski staff point out that the new model is better.

- - - -

So beside the specifications, of most interest is:
• The reference to rotating the prisms 90 degrees (?) to enable the more ergonomic design, and

• That the NL is not replacing the EL (and nor presumedly the lower priced SLC)

And it’s probably useful to add:
- The apparent field of view is no mystery, it's the combination of the actual/ angular field of view, together with the effect of the magnification provided by the eyepiece

- Saying that the lens system is the same as the EL, is not saying that the lenses are identical, and

- The listed transmission of 91% is one percent more than that of the EL's, and the same as that of the x42 SLC's

John
John:

Not sure about what is your "expert" summation and what is from the official Swarovsk link , from your post.

I think you should stay on point, and you don't know.......

Jerry
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 02:38   #87
[email protected]

No edges at all! That is going to be like Virtual Reality.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 02:47   #88
dries1

Thanks John for the info - it will be an interesting few weeks ahead.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 03:29   #89
Bill Atwood
BF Supporter 2020

Wonder how many pages this thread will have before anyone actually gets a retail pair.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 05:23   #90
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
John:

Not sure about what is your "expert" summation and what is from the official Swarovsk link , from your post.

I think you should stay on point, and you don't know.......

Jerry
Jerry,

John's post seems 'crystal' clear to me .......

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 05:39   #91
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
A 408 ft. FOV on 10x is bigger than most 8X'S! WOW! I had my stack of money sitting on the table with a note Zeiss SF now I am changing the note to Swaro's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Ask Lee how much more 'area' you'll be able to see with that vs Zeiss SF 10x42 with its 'paltry 360ft !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Great field of view figures, no question of that, and they have moved the focus wheel to the same position as Zeiss SF so I guess Chosun Juan will be unhappy with this forced position. The emphasis on ergonomics seems like an attempt to catch up with the progress made by SF and the deletion of the hinge by the objectives hints at a similar shift in balance to that achieved by SF too. No doubt it will be a fine instrument and I look forward to trying one out. Shame about the weight though.

Lee
Dennis, it seems that Lee is crying into his porridge and can't bring himself to do the math !

The 10x Dutch special puts SF in the shade to the tune of up to and more than 28% viewable field area !! ..... no wonder Lee is in stunned silence, has taken 2 Bex and is having a good lie down !

I have to agree with Lee though - the ergonomics do look similarly contrived hands forward as with SF .......

Where Lee has got it wrong though - is that the elimination of the forward bridge is a welcome inspiration from the Nikon Monarch HG (though those with blue tinted glasses to match their suede shoes could possibly claim HT too ....)

Chosun

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 05:48   #92
Ries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arek View Post
Transmission 91%. Weight over 800 grams. Price starts at 2850 Euro.
Lol, insane. Fov is too, "without edges". That's just as stellar.

Last edited by Ries : Wednesday 1st July 2020 at 05:52.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 06:12   #93
hyberboreus

International launch event video now on the Swarovski Optik Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/sdgps2xQ3fY
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 06:44   #94
Loud Green Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyberboreus View Post
International launch event video now on the Swarovski Optik Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/sdgps2xQ3fY
No pun intended but that was painful viewing.

I wonder who will offer aftermarket disposable headrest pads of the peel & stick variety? That or a suitably proportioned peice of leather glued to the plastic to improve user comfort.

LGM
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 06:44   #95
Troubador

So EL lives on. But it has been replaced! It is no longer Swarovski's top binocular and has been replaced by NL with a focus wheel position clearly inspired by SF (and HT) and with SF's focus on balance and comfort. In fact the super-wide field of view suggests heavy eyepieces and with a little weight taken out from the objectives-end by the deletion of the bridge there, it looks like it will have the same eyepiece-heavy balance as SF especially given the hand position mandated by the focus wheel position and hourglass body. Add the monster field of view, which SF 42 and SF32 also came with and Swarovski couldn't have replaced EL with a better tribute to the path that SF has already trodden.

The monster field of view is impressive, the 850g weight (30ozs) less so.
Has anyone seen an Eye Relief data?
12x42 is intriguing. 12x50 might have been too heavy to contemplate.

Looking forward to trying one out.

Lee

Last edited by Troubador : Wednesday 1st July 2020 at 06:47.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 06:46   #96
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks
though that was a little bit painful to get through ! (only made it part way so far - drier than an Ozzie 2 year drought !) .....

It seems the 10x42 Fov is 133m, not 136m.

Lee can relax a bit - it's only nearly 23% better than the SF !

Chosun

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 06:47   #97
Arek

All parameters are known:
https://www.allbinos.com/porownaj.ph...2147&add2=2148

Last edited by Arek : Wednesday 1st July 2020 at 07:17.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 06:52   #98
Arek

There is some inconsistency in eye relief data. Technical data tables shown in their webpage give 20 mm, but PDF with technical data shows 18 mm.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 06:53   #99
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arek View Post
Thanks Arek 18mm ER across the mags should be sufficient.

Chosun

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 06:55   #100
PeterPS

Quote:
Thanks for the link, but the video is somewhat boring. It was really surprising to see that the designer couldn't answer a simple question about the prism system!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: