Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Zeiss 8x32 FL vs Leica UV HD+ 8x32

Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 10:06   #26
Patudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canip View Post
Thank you for your impressions, Luca - nice and useful.

Canip
Thanks also from this 8x32 FL owner, Luca! I haven't tried the Ultravid, but have had a good look at the Victory Pocket and a quick look through the Terra. My impressions of the three are very similar to yours, but even if they were different, I would be grateful for your thoughtful and considered impressions!

I find it really interesting that quite a few guys with a photography or art background (yourself, eronald, Tobias) really like the image that Leica binoculars give you. I am impressed that your preference for the Ultravid's colour rendition trumps even things like sharpness, sturdiness, better fit to your face and so on. I did have a similar impression when looking through the Noctivid 8x42 (at Birdfair) and 10x42 (using a friend's for 30-40min). The colours are deep and vivid, and the reds, yellows etc do especially show well. I thought the overall image was most beautiful in bright sunny conditions and I can also see the advantage in having reds and yellows stand out in the kind of dull grey conditions (often experienced here in the UK!) that seem to leach out all colour.

I remember reading the human eye has evolved a particular sensitivity to reds, and maybe this helps explain the liking that some of us have for binoculars that show reds well.
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 20:54   #27
14Goudvink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbb View Post
Very valuable info in this thread!

@LucaPCP (or others having tried both): how would you compare them, especially the Leica 8x32 specifically to the Zeiss 8x25, optically and regarding ease of use/view, now that you have had the chance to test them while owning the Zeiss 8x25?

Did any of you have the chance to compare them to a Kite Lynx HD(+) 8x30 (or the apparently relatively similar Nikon Monarch 7)?
I used to own both a Zeiss 8x25 and a Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD at the same time and I tried a Kite Lynx 8x30 HD for a few days.

Leica compared to Zeiss:
Although small and light the Leica handles like a 'real' binocular, while the Zeiss handles like a compact
Eye placement is easier for the Leica
Both are very sharp, no real difference here
Colour reproduction is better in de Leica. Looking at an overcast sky the Zeiss gives a noticable greenish 'tint'. No problem when the weather is bright
The Zeiss fits in a jacket pocket. The Leica is a bit too heavy and bulky to get out of a jacket pocket quickly
I have used the Leica as my fulltime bin for years. The Zeiss gets the job done, but I wouldn't want them as my main bin because of their handling and lesser ease of eye placement

Leica compared to Kite Lynx:
Sharper
More contrast
Easier eye placement
Better handling

In the end I returned the Kite and sold the Zeiss. For me the Zeiss and the Leica didn't really complement each other in real use. When birding, going for a walk and hiking in the mountains I am willing to take the greater weight and bulk of the Leica in return for better handling and ease of use. And when I want to take bins with me just in case, I prefer something smaller and lighter than the Zeiss.

If you want even better ease of use and more wow than the Leica in a 8x30 package and you don't need waterproofing you could try the Nikon 8x30 E2...

George
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 21:50   #28
mbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaPCP View Post
The Vicrory Pockets are outstanding, as reported in this forum -- indeed I bought them after reading about them here. Compared with the Terra, they have wider field of view, even higher sharpness, and especially, an easier view, less critical eye centering. They are all they are said to be, and compared to the Leica, to me:

- They have no chromatic aberrations I can see
- The colors are equally good, or perhaps the Leica is better by a small amount
- The view, as expected, is a tiny bit less great, due to the smaller exit pupil.

---

In summary, I think I prefer Zeiss Terra 8x25, then Victory Pocket 8x25, then Leica UV+ 8x32.
Thank you for the info!
Reading this, it makes me more curious about the reason why you will keep/buy the Leica’s while having the Pockets. Is it because of the ‘tiny bit less great view’ of the Pockets due to the smaller exit pupil, or am I missing some other aspects? I can imagine the ergonomics are a bit better due its larger size, but I would also hope for an significantly easier view to make the switch.
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 22:16   #29
mbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Goudvink View Post
I used to own both a Zeiss 8x25 and a Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD at the same time and I tried a Kite Lynx 8x30 HD for a few days.

Leica compared to Zeiss:

Leica compared to Kite Lynx:

If you want even better ease of use and more wow than the Leica in a 8x30 package and you don't need waterproofing you could try the Nikon 8x30 E2...

George
Thanks a lot for the great info!
Also to everyone else!

I’m wondering if I would notice the greater colour reproduction and better reds from the Ultravids reported here, as I have daltonism

Compared to the Kite, I expected a bit better sharpness and contrast from the Leica, but I am surprised about the reported better handling and easier eye placement. Could you explain what makes the difference?
I am curious because I already find the handling of the Kite really great (one of the reasons I like them) and have no real complaint about the eye placement (at least it is more comfortable to that regard than the Victory 8x25). I also like the fact that the Kite’s hinge is short, having the barrels extending quite a bit further. Another reason is that I’ve read elsewhere that the Ultravids are not as comfortable regarding eye placement as e.g. the latest Swarovski Companion 30mm or EL 32mm (the latter I’ve briefly tried once and were impressive indeed, but way too expensive for me and their larger size and weight might put them too much in the use case of 42mm for me, not sure about that).

I think I should look for a possibility to try those Leica and inform about their warranty/service, also when bought second hand directly from the previous owner/not via an official dealer (Swarovski/Kite-level service even for second ones not bought through a shop is reassuring for such a budget).

The Nikon E II, good point. I’ve read a lot of good things about them too, but the lack of waterproofing and the limited warranty is holding me back. The other ‘obvious’ porro’s, the Habicht 8x30 however are on my shortlist too if I can find a good second hand offer, but I’d want to try them first, considering what some say about stiff focussing wheel and short eye relief.

Last edited by mbb : Tuesday 30th June 2020 at 22:19.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 06:48   #30
LucaPCP
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
Thanks also from this 8x32 FL owner, Luca! I haven't tried the Ultravid, but have had a good look at the Victory Pocket and a quick look through the Terra. My impressions of the three are very similar to yours, but even if they were different, I would be grateful for your thoughtful and considered impressions!

I find it really interesting that quite a few guys with a photography or art background (yourself, eronald, Tobias) really like the image that Leica binoculars give you. I am impressed that your preference for the Ultravid's colour rendition trumps even things like sharpness, sturdiness, better fit to your face and so on. I did have a similar impression when looking through the Noctivid 8x42 (at Birdfair) and 10x42 (using a friend's for 30-40min). The colours are deep and vivid, and the reds, yellows etc do especially show well. I thought the overall image was most beautiful in bright sunny conditions and I can also see the advantage in having reds and yellows stand out in the kind of dull grey conditions (often experienced here in the UK!) that seem to leach out all colour.

I remember reading the human eye has evolved a particular sensitivity to reds, and maybe this helps explain the liking that some of us have for binoculars that show reds well.
I hike and mountain bike with orange-tinted, self-darkening glasses. I call them my "reality-improving glasses"! They make it much easier to distinguish the various gradations of green -- many greens that looks the same to the naked eye have distinct gradations under orange filters. The landscape looks so much nicer through them! If you have never tried them -- do give them a try! So I suspect that some of my liking for the Leica rendition has the same root.

BF Supporter 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 06:56   #31
LucaPCP
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Thank you for the info!
Reading this, it makes me more curious about the reason why you will keep/buy the Leica’s while having the Pockets. Is it because of the ‘tiny bit less great view’ of the Pockets due to the smaller exit pupil, or am I missing some other aspects? I can imagine the ergonomics are a bit better due its larger size, but I would also hope for an significantly easier view to make the switch.
Ehhmmmm.... I am not claiming it's fully justified... :-)

Yes, the view is nicer and easier, and it's also a little bit easier/faster to point them towards a bird and acquire it in good view. Also, the weight is not an issue, except when mountain biking (where I use my Terras). But the difference is fairly small, and I readily admit that I bought them because I enjoy using them.

One unexpected and very fun advantage I noticed: It is actually GOOD that the binoculars are not too small. When people see a middle-aged male traipsing around in a park, I always got the sort of impression that some thought "what is he doing?". But with bigger binoculars, it's obvious to people what I am doing, and I got a lot more understanding looks, smiles, and even fun (at a distance) conversations. This is really a testament to how great the birder community is in terms of friendliness -- you really have collectively a fantastic reputation!

BF Supporter 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 09:31   #32
14Goudvink

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the great info!
Also to everyone else!

Compared to the Kite, I expected a bit better sharpness and contrast from the Leica, but I am surprised about the reported better handling and easier eye placement. Could you explain what makes the difference?

The Nikon E II, good point. I’ve read a lot of good things about them too, but the lack of waterproofing and the limited warranty is holding me back.
Handling and ease of eye placement are very personal of course. When I tried the Kite I kept fiddling with eye placement and even though eye relief was enough I had trouble seeing the whole field of view. I briefly compared the CL to the Leica and ease of eye placement was about the same as the Leica. I used the Swarovision 8x32 for 3 years and eye placement and handling were easier than the Leica. Replaced them with an E2... :-)

I don't worry about the E2's warranty. I bought them for 300 euro and when they need repair or servicing I can just send them to an independent repair shop. They have a simple design and are inexpensive to service.

But of course my hands and eyes are different from your's so best to try for yourself.

George
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: