• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shock, horror wildlife crime taken seriously! (1 Viewer)

ikw101

At long last it looks like the UK might be taking wildlife crime seriously.

"A millionaire who built up a huge collection of wild birds' eggs and adorned his stately home with stuffed, endangered birds of prey was jailed for four months yesterday.

Michael Barclay, 68, was also ordered to pay £30,000 costs after being found guilty by a jury at Norwich crown court of eight charges of illegally buying prohibited specimens of birds between June 1997 and May 2004.

Barclay had already pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to two counts of buying prohibited wild birds eggs and to two of illegally importing wild birds eggs as he amassed a collection of more than 500 eggs at his home, Hanworth Hall, near Cromer, Norfolk."

Personally I'd have liked to have seen him stuffed still its a start.........

More details at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/10/27/neggs27.xml

Last edited:
:t: At last!!!!! About time this sort of thing WAS taken seriously.

Silly man.....buying stuff like that between 1997 and 2004 when he MUST have known it was illegal!

colonelboris said:
I bet he thought that by pleading guilty he'd get a £3,000 fine and a ticking off.
Anyone else notice

The above will probably happen when he appeals. I do hope Im wrong

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back