• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Insane dreams about binoculars (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
I've had many of these over the years, including using magic binos that don't exist. But a few nights ago I dreamt my 8x32 SE's had a nasty coating of something that looked like salt all over the objectives. I tried to lick it off (it was a dream, remember!), and could only get a tiny circle in the centre clear of the salt, which seemed to grow thicker and more granular and opaque on the outer objectives. I looked through them and they were fine (except what I saw was something between a Peacock and a Ferrari). Then I got a chisel and started to try to scrape the stuff off, fully aware that this was a very bad idea. I awoke and breathed a sigh of relief. Do you think I should stop reading the bino forum? (Or perhaps get a Life?)

Whoops Sorry Mods, I meant to write this in the bino-forum..can you move it? I don't seem to be able to delete it.

Sancho, you are not insane, just a binocular enthusiast.

According to you, they are just tubes with glass on the ends. And that is true.

My latest incoming is in my favorite make, Zeiss. The 8x30 Diafun, and I hope I have fun with it.

I will report on my decision. These were highly regarded back in the day.

Jerry

My latest incoming is in my favorite make, Zeiss. The 8x30 Diafun, and I hope I have fun with it.

I will report on my decision. These were highly regarded back in the day.

Jerry

Well maybe not....."decent optics" but were constantly degraded by the optics gurus of the day for build quality and styling.....
BTW I have 2 that are still LNIB that I like a lot....but then I always liked the original Conquest......

Last edited:
I said that with a bit of sarcasm. And you seem to be a collector extraordinaire.

I have lots of favorite makes, it just depends on the time and day.

If it has the Zeiss badge, it must be good.

Jerry

Thanks NDHunter and Gunut! I'm happy to report that in real waking life my SE's are pristine. Best of luck with those Zeiss, ND...I really would like to try a Conquest HD 8x32, but there are none in the very few bino-stores hereabouts.

Brilliant. Binoculars don't feature in my dreams but I do (often) daydream about how it would be if some of the classic models of the past could be brought up to date with multi-coating, phase coating, etc...

a few nights ago I dreamt my 8x32 SE's had a nasty coating of something that looked like salt all over the objectives. I tried to lick it off
Then I got a chisel and started to try to scrape the stuff off, fully aware that this was a very bad idea. (Or perhaps get a Life?)

Sancho, you must have more patience, especially in your dreams.
Licking stuff off the binocular lenses is a proud tradition because it works, although perhaps more gradually than usual in your dreams.
In real life, it is a lot easier to just lick off the eyepiece lenses than it is to scrub them with some bit of fabric. No bits of grit get scraped across the coatings and there is nothing to put into the laundry.

I've had many of these over the years, including using magic binos that don't exist. But a few nights ago I dreamt...

Thanks for sharing this, it's quite special. I've had dreams involving birds before, but not a bird-car. (Is that like a duck-rabbit?) And never binos. What could your magic binos do, if I may ask?

..... a few nights ago I dreamt my 8x32 SE's had a nasty coating of something that looked like salt all over the objectives. I tried to lick it off .....
Sancho, this is obviously a dietary issue .... the only cure is to cease imbibing all forms of alcohol immediately! :bounce: B :)

Chosun :gh:

Thanks NDHunter and Gunut! I'm happy to report that in real waking life my SE's are pristine. Best of luck with those Zeiss, ND...I really would like to try a Conquest HD 8x32, but there are none in the very few bino-stores hereabouts.

There is only one solution Sancho. Come to Bird Fair in August. PM me if you need recommendation about where to stay.

Lee

Thanks for sharing this, it's quite special. I've had dreams involving birds before, but not a bird-car. (Is that like a duck-rabbit?) And never binos. What could your magic binos do, if I may ask?
I had a dream once about buying a pair of fairly compact IS binos that zoomed like a telescope up to 60x.

Sancho, you must have more patience, especially in your dreams.
Licking stuff off the binocular lenses is a proud tradition because it works, although perhaps more gradually than usual in your dreams.
Actually I think the licking-the-lenses reference in the dream came from a real BF post I seem to remember from years ago. Was it yours, Etudiant?

Thanks for sharing this, it's quite special. I've had dreams involving birds before, but not a bird-car.
It was kind of like the things in the Transformers movies my kids used to watch when they were young. Not as big, just car-sized, bright red, but with a multi-coloured, feathered head and wings, very glittery. But it had wheels and robotic movements. I didn't hear it call. Probably just as well.

There is only one solution Sancho. Come to Bird Fair in August. PM me if you need recommendation about where to stay.

Lee
Excellent idea. I've never been to a bird-fair (not enough birders here to make it a useful marketing exercise). And I'm on school hols in August!:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back