• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photoshop, Raw and the 50D (1 Viewer)

Hirundapus

Those nice folks at Photoshop seem to have done it again. It seems you cannot open Canon 50D raw files in Photoshop unless you upgrade to Photoshop CS4, because the Photoshop new raw plugin does not allow it. But, interestingly, the no-longer-available beta version of that plug-in did allow opening 50D raw files in CS3, so the change appears to be a deliberate ploy by Photoshop to force unnecessary upgrades.

The Canon 50D is supported by Adobe Camera Raw 4.6 which works with Photoshop CS3. The new version 5 of ACR only works with CS4 and although they have not explicitly said so Adobe imply that new camera support will only be added to Version 5. New camera support will be added to the free Adobe DNG converter and Photoshop CS3 can then open the DNG file so there is a work around for CS3 users who get new cameras.

The fault principally lies however with the camera manufacturers who change the format with every camera.

ACR 4.6 can be downloaded from here.

But, interestingly, the no-longer-available beta version of that plug-in did allow opening 50D raw files in CS3, so the change appears to be a deliberate ploy by Photoshop to force unnecessary upgrades.

Its not available as BETA anymore as it has been released to production ;)

The link above (Mono) takes you to CR 4.6 with 50D support :)

I don't understand all this. I have a 50D and CS3, and have done nothing other than allow Photoshop to update itself in the ordinary way, but can open 50D raw files without any problems at all. But other people are clearly having difficulties. Doesn't make sense to me.

I don't understand all this. I have a 50D and CS3, and have done nothing other than allow Photoshop to update itself in the ordinary way, but can open 50D raw files without any problems at all. But other people are clearly having difficulties. Doesn't make sense to me.

Perhaps they haven't got the automatic updates enabled.

It's easy to get updates from within CS3 anyway - just go to 'Help'>Updates...and get them from there, but close off CS3 before allowing it to install.

Those nice folks at Photoshop seem to have done it again. It seems you cannot open Canon 50D raw files in Photoshop unless you upgrade to Photoshop CS4, because the Photoshop new raw plugin does not allow it. But, interestingly, the no-longer-available beta version of that plug-in did allow opening 50D raw files in CS3, so the change appears to be a deliberate ploy by Photoshop to force unnecessary upgrades.

Why release unverified info and criticize a manufacturer with false claims like these ? This is totally unjustified. I have a 50D and CS3 and it has worked fine from day 1. However, I have done my homework, did some research and installed ACR 4.6 Beta, followed later with the final version.

A simple question like "Why can't I open 50D raw files in CS3 ?" would have given you the answers you need.

Last edited:
Some people are so touchy. One has to be so careful with one's wording. I did try. I did say 'seem' and 'seems' and I did say 'thank you' when I was put right.
But wasn't my basic point correct: at least now 'it seems' for newer cameras than the 50D, one will have to upgrade to CS4?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back