• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Namibia (1 Viewer)

adkr

griz
I am going to Namibia (and Pilanesberg NP in S A ) in October. Do any of you have any highlights from there re birds? Thank you Andrew

If you PM me with an e-mail contact, I can send you a report covering covering both South Africa and Namibia - it is however very detailed and totals 160 or 170 pages (based on a seven month trip, incl October)

Hi andrew
great time to go for the game and if your going late Oct may get a few migrants This is my trip report its on here too somewhere from this oct just gone
http://www.surfbirds.com/trip_report.php?id=592

If I had my time over again I would spend just the one day at waterberg plateu and more time elswhere. Collony of chestnut weavers just inside the main gate! They may return but are nomadic breeders they won't be in breeding plumage!!!

Daan Viljoan at weekends too is a no no too many school kids. don't try and fit in the caprivi in two weeks if your doing Walvis, spitzkoppen etosha etc.

Did Pilinesberg a couple of years before amongs others places. If your going to Pilinesberg NP look for Pretoriae race of short toed rockthrush (no pale forehead) at the picnic site above the Dam.
any questions let me know
regards
john

Thanks John. Actually we are going to Pilanesberg for 2 nights at the beginning of the trip. And we have a 10 day safari round the north and west of Windhoek - remarkably cheap - highly recommended company in Lonely Planet. Again thank you. Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Sounds like you have a great trip planned.

I know Pilansberg very well; presumably you'll be staying at Sun City or one of the lodges there (Bakubung for example). You can either drive yourself around the game park, or there are companies there at varying cost that do drives. But Pilansberg is a volcanic crater, circular, and the game park is artifically stocked. It's not too large either, so a day max, maybe two absolute tops. Disappointed that the bird life is restricted (minimal).
Kruger Park, not that far away, is a much better bet.

Namibia, now there's a wonderful country, are you going to Etosha, the skeleton coast, Ricktersfelt? Swakupmund on the coast is worth a visit too.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks - we are staying in pilanesberg - have a car. We are going to all the places you mention in Namibia. Taking a dolphin-watching cruise from Walvis Bay so hope to see some seabirds!! Thanks for your help Andrew

Andrew- Depending on your mode and route of transport, it may be worthwhile taking a break between Namibia and South Africa by visiting the Witsand Nature Reserve near Postmasburg (Northern Cape, not too distant from Upington). This reserve with its snow white sand dunes yet surrounded by red soil from the Kalahari Desert is well known for its roaring dunes. As the saying goes, the dunes roar during the months that end with the letter "R". Apparently its a unique phenomenen associated with the soil structure of the dunes. The reserve is renowned for its abundance of birdlife. For further info, I have attached the following links: http://www.places.co.za/html/7287.html and http://www.witsandkalahari.co.za/

Just a thought.....

Herman

Last edited:
adkr said:
Taking a dolphin-watching cruise from Walvis Bay so hope to see some seabirds!!

Walvis Bay can be mind-blowing, thousands of waders, including oodles of Chestnbut-banded Plovers. If on a fixed tour here and they don't go to the salt pans or bay itself, it's worth thinking about doing this bit on your own - quite walkable from the town (if a bit long to the salt pans themselves) and the rewards are many. The endemic lark is quite easy just a bit inland from Walvis Bay and there are some good spots for other larks near Spitskoppe. All details will be in the report I send you

adkr said:
Thanks John. Actually we are going to Pilanesberg for 2 nights at the beginning of the trip. And we have a 10 day safari round the north and west of Windhoek - remarkably cheap - highly recommended company in Lonely Planet. Again thank you. Andrew

Hope you get to the sewage works Iin windhoek, A superb place! As for Walvis look through the past the hordes of shorebirds and flamingos for Terek sandpiper we had this as well as red necked Phal around the saltworks lagoons. In fact we had five birds all in different plumages. A beach sea watch here should produce skua and Whitechinned Petrel.
Have a great trip!
By the way very Tame crimson breasted shrikes at Pilinesberg NP
regards
John

adkr,

If you go to Pilanesberg, there is a camp(if you look at the map, at about 3:00pm), don't realy know what the name is, but think Bakubung, i will check it up for you, you can maybe mail me, then i can mail you a map.
But in that camp, there is a very large avairy with lots of south African birds in there! Excellent!! And it realy is big!
You can look at this link as well:
http://www.places.co.za/html/4399.html

Enjoy it, it realy is a nice place, not that big, but wonderfull!

Hi Andrew
Another great birding spot well worth visiting is Monte Christo Guest Farm, approximately 50 KM north of Windhoek on the main road to Okahandja.
Contact details: Tel 09 264 61 257495. No fax or e-mail address available.
Hope you enjoy your visit to Namibia.
Regards,
Max

Hello - can someone recommend a field guide please. Thanks! S

Sasol Birds of Southern Africa - Struik Publishers
Birds of Africa South of the Sahara: A Comprehensive Illustrated Field Guide - Struik
Birds of Africa South of the Sahara - Princeton University Press

Hi Seamons,

Sasol Birds of Southern Africa - Struik Publishers is a goor one,

But i have got Birds of southern Afica - Struik Publishers, by Ian Sinclair.(about the same size)

I do prefer the last one.....don't know why, but it is a great book!

Jos Stratford said:
If you PM me with an e-mail contact, I can send you a report covering covering both South Africa and Namibia - it is however very detailed and totals 160 or 170 pages (based on a seven month trip, incl October)

Hello Jos,
i'm also going to Namibia in October/November. I sent you a PM, could you also mail me your trip report.
Thanks a lot

Rivieren

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back