• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cameroon on a shoestring (1 Viewer)

jc122463

Hello all,
I plan on visiting Cameroon for a couple of months, but plan on doing it on my own (ie not with a tour company and on a very tight budget). I've been researching trip reprts, etc. and have my basic itinerary planned out. I'll be in Douala/Sanaga River, Waza NP, Benoue NP, Ngauondaba Ranch, Bamenda/Bafur-Nguenmba Forest Reserve, Mt. Kupe, Bakossi Mts, Mt. Cameroon, Korup.
I think I've covered pretty much all the important birding areas, but am wondering if anyone has good info on particular stake-outs or suggestions on how to do this all for cheap. Any suggestions would be well appreciated!

Cheers!!

Hello all,
I plan on visiting Cameroon for a couple of months, but plan on doing it on my own (ie not with a tour company and on a very tight budget). I've been researching trip reprts, etc. and have my basic itinerary planned out. I'll be in Douala/Sanaga River, Waza NP, Benoue NP, Ngauondaba Ranch, Bamenda/Bafur-Nguenmba Forest Reserve, Mt. Kupe, Bakossi Mts, Mt. Cameroon, Korup.
I think I've covered pretty much all the important birding areas, but am wondering if anyone has good info on particular stake-outs or suggestions on how to do this all for cheap. Any suggestions would be well appreciated!

Cheers!!

Hi JC,

Ive read that the opportunities to visit Picathartes caves are restricted to groups to avoid excessive disturbance. I would suggest that if you want a stake out this for this bird you will need to do a bit of planning, there must be a local who organises the visits (eg for the tour companies) and I assume you could then get on one via that route... Or alternatively just get lucky and see one on a trial somewhere.

Unfortunately I dont have any contacts.

see the action plan:

http://www.birdlife.org/action/scie..._plans/africa/grey-necked_picathartes_sap.pdf

Cheers

Gareth

From Nyassoso on Mount Kupe, they should help you visit the most accessible patch for the two Bush-shrike on the Bakossi, With regards the Picathartes, I've spent many months in the forests in Cameroon over a long period of time (17 trips :eek!:) and very rarely bumped into Picathartes on trails. Having said that, there is a chance, with time on the shrike trail and the back of the nature trail on Kupe and the bird is known to the Bakossi ;). It has been a while since my last visit though I have kept in touch with some groundworkers. Korup offers the best opportunity for a chance encounter close to the camp, otherwise you will have to visit the nesting/roosting sites. If you are struggling with anything in particular, drop me a pm.

Take the best anti-malarial's available, SW Cameroon is a notorious hotspot for falciparum.

Great country, Enjoy!

Mark

Take the best anti-malarial's available, SW Cameroon is a notorious hotspot for falciparum.

Great country, Enjoy!

Mark

Whatever you do please heed Mark's advice.
Malarone, though expensive, is without doubt the prophylactic of choice here!

Hi all,
Thanks for the advice. I was actually there about a year and a half ago but maybe this will help people planning on visiting in the future.
Mostly things went alright for me. Unfortunately the Bakossi Mt. area was a bit of a mess. The chief had been banished for practicing witchcraft but was trying to regain power. I ended up going through the libation ceremony with the new chief which really upset the banished chief. Him and five friends ended up chasing me out of the village with guns. Luckily I saw the Mt. Kupe Bushshrike on the shrike trail at Mt. Kupe.
I also ended up getting stuck in Kumba for a while when everyone decided to riot. It didn't seem to get much international news coverage, but for a while I was stuck in a hotel room watching buildings being burnt down and people shooting at each other.
Everything seems to have calmed down now though so this should by no means keep people from visiting the country. The birds were absolutely amazing and aside from these two instances people were very nice and the country was great!!

Cheers,
Benji

Doh! See the posting date now!

Seems like nothings changed re Bakossi Juju LOL, Glad you got to see the Kupe Bush-shrike, I was the one that painted the birds around the school compound and village.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back